The Truth About Traditional Martial Arts

OP
T

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
Lots to think about from the first couple of videos here by Adam Chan.

What are Traditional Martial Arts?
What about McDojos?
Are you aware of the history?

And much, much more....

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
TMA is you try to develop 1 MA skill that you can do better than everybody else on this planet. Anybody wants to learn that skill, they have to come to you.

Someone drilled this punch non-stop from one city to another city. Nobody could block his powerful punch in fighting. This is TMA.

a.v

White Belt
Reaction score
The truth about "Traditional" Martial Arts?
A likely explanation for their downfall is that the purpose and intent they had at their inception is no longer apparent nor needed in today's society.

As far as I am aware, most 'martial' arts were purposefully developed in the occurrence of war or similar event.
The French's parkour originated in the same way, a modern rendition of Qigong I suppose.

I am sure this process will continue to be adopted once again in the unlikely advent that close range encounters are seen in war.

Note: I didn't watch the videos, just thought this is an interesting topic.

OP
T

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
TMA is you try to develop 1 MA skill that you can do better than everybody else on this planet. Anybody wants to learn that skill, they have to come to you.

Someone drilled this punch non-stop from one city to another city. Nobody could block his powerful punch in fighting. This is TMA.

Man, you come right out of a comic book 🤣

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Man, you come right out of a comic book 🤣
The reason that I cross trained the Zimen system because the Zimen master Xiong Jian-Xun had used his fingertips to hit on his opponent's chest and caused his opponent to vomit blood for the next 10 years. I wanted to learn how he did.

There are many reasons for cross training. It may not be for competition.

OP
T

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
The reason that I cross trained the Zimen system because the Zimen master Xiong Jian-Xun had used his fingertips to hit on his opponent's chest and caused his opponent to vomit blood for the next 10 years. I wanted to learn how he did.

There are many reasons for cross training. It may not be for competition.
You have a great sense of fun Mr. Wang :D

Your replies contain lines which remind me of the old Kung-Fu flicks 🎬

OP
T

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
What is the TMA to you if it's not for developing combat skill/ability?
Have you watched the videos four videos by Adam Chan? This is a martial arts discussion board. His videos are full of information that will interest martial artists. So far, it appears nobody who has commented on this thread has viewed them :confused:

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lots to think about from the first couple of videos here by Adam Chan.

What about McDojos?
Are you aware of the history?

And much, much more....
I didn't watch them.

I don't care. I know what art I study. Call it anything you like. I will still train.

Too many people worried about what everyone else thinks. Do what you do. Enjoy it. That's all there is to it.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Have you watched the videos four videos by Adam Chan? This is a martial arts discussion board. His videos are full of information that will interest martial artists. So far, it appears nobody who has commented on this thread has viewed them :confused:
I may not know what MMA is, but I do know what TMA is. I don't need anybody to redefine it for me.

marvin8

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I may not know what MMA is, but I do know what TMA is. I don't need anybody to redefine it for me.
Definition of martial arts, Wikipedia...

Martial arts are codified systems and traditions of combat practiced for a number of reasons such as self-defense; military and law enforcement applications; competition; physical, mental, and spiritual development; entertainment; and the preservation of a nation's intangible cultural heritage.

Combat (French for fight) is a purposeful violent conflict meant to physically harm or kill the opposition. Combat may be armed (using weapons) or unarmed (not using weapons). Combat is sometimes resorted to as a method of self-defense, or can be used as a tool to impose one's will on others.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Definition of martial arts, Wikipedia...

Martial arts are codified systems and traditions of combat practiced for a number of reasons such as self-defense; military and law enforcement applications; competition; physical, mental, and spiritual development; entertainment; and the preservation of a nation's intangible cultural heritage.

Combat (French for fight) is a purposeful violent conflict meant to physically harm or kill the opposition. Combat may be armed (using weapons) or unarmed (not using weapons). Combat is sometimes resorted to as a method of self-defense, or can be used as a tool to impose one's will on others.

The issue is (and the OP did the same thing) we are not using the definition to describe the act.

We are trying to make the act fit the definition.

Or basically rejecting reality and substituting our own.

And that is a poor understanding of how language works.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Or basically rejecting reality and substituting our own.
I truly believe that

- self-cultivation,
- inner peace,
- spiritual enhancement,
- cultural preservation,
- fight without fighting,
- world peace,

should not be included in the combat discussion. If you punch my face and say you are doing for the world peace, I won't accept that.

Reactions: a.v

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I truly believe that

- self-cultivation,
- inner peace,
- spiritual enhancement,
- cultural preservation,
- fight without fighting,
- world peace,

should not be included in the combat discussion. If you punch my face and say you are doing for the world peace, I won't accept that.

What about enlightenment or character as gained through hardship?

Eg.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've watched the first two videos. I have some commentary, but I'm waiting until I have a chance to watch the 3rd and 4th before I post a reaction.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What about enlightenment or character as gained through hardship?

Eg.
I also like to separate street fight from ring sparring and mat wrestling. This way, we don't have to involve legal issue into our discussion.

With the attitude of "I'll sue you if you dare to touch me." We can't discuss MA freely.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Taekwondo is to grow as a person.
Aikido to grow as a spiritual being
Will you say to develop combat skill/ability is the main goal of TMA training?

I believe TKD master Jhoon Rhee once said that if you can use your side kick to knock down all your opponents, you are a good TKD guy.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions