The true test

E

edhead2000

A quote from my favorite author

The test is this. If you had a billion dollars in the bank, would you go on doing the work you do to make a living? Really, honestly, truly? I'm sure about ten percent of the people reading this book would say yes--for example, Steven Spielberg and Bill Gates (who already has his billion but still seems to love his work). ~~ Daniel Quinn

Discuss amongst yourselves.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A billion.... with a "B"? I'd do the best Johnny Paycheck impression any one had ever seen..."Take this job and shove it." I enjoy driving a truck but not so much that I'd keep on doing it if I had the opportunity to train full time, spend more time with my family and go fishin' on a regular basis.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd quit my job in a second. My job isn't something I like to do, it's something I do so that I can do the things I like.

OP
T

TonyM.

I work in the food service industry. If I had a billion dollars I would own a recording studio. Some of my customers I would refer to nice establishments. To over half of them I would suggest they find a vending machine somewhere. Preferably out of my $%^ *&^% sight.

OP
T

TheRustyOne

Hm. pay for college and whatever else i'm gonna do for higher ed...i'd probably keep my job as long as i'm out here just because i get employee discount ;) i could finally go back to England, and travel where i want to go! (UK, Europe, Japan, Australia...wanted to do Middle East when i was little, but me thinks i'll stay away from there....)

And buy my dad a nice place down in FLA so he's stop bitching about the cheapest property being $365K+ :rolleyes:
(and that's for 1 story, 2 br, no pool, and a garage (me thinks))

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Since I never sit and dream about what-if's..I'll just say..if I had a Billion dollars.. I couldn't spend that first buck.. cuz then I wouldn't have a billion anymore *snickers*
I would make sure my family was well taken care of *immediate.. no siblings*
I would invest in businesses.. that would keep growing *hopefully* Build our dream Studio.. equip it .. and still do what I do every day.. Kenpo :)
do some traveling.. Probably take the studio bunch on a Kenpo Tour circuit..
Build our dream home..
Seriously doubt a whole lot would change.. just the backdrop to how we live right now :D

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well- considering that my job is to stay at home and take care of our son......yeah, I'd keep my job!! But maybe my hubby could work less and we could all travel more. Would also pamper my family and closest friends some!!

:asian: :karate:

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Originally posted by TheRustyOne
Hm. pay for college and whatever else i'm gonna do for higher ed...i'd probably keep my job as long as i'm out here just because i get employee discount ;) i could finally go back to England, and travel where i want to go! (UK, Europe, Japan, Australia...wanted to do Middle East when i was little, but me thinks i'll stay away from there....)

And buy my dad a nice place down in FLA so he's stop bitching about the cheapest property being $365K+ :rolleyes:
(and that's for 1 story, 2 br, no pool, and a garage (me thinks))
He's full of ****. My Dad just signed a contract on having a place built in Port St. Lucie, it's got everything and then some for 158k.

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Originally posted by KenpoTess
Since I never sit and dream about what-if's..I'll just say..if I had a Billion dollars.. I couldn't spend that first buck.. cuz then I wouldn't have a billion anymore *snickers*
I would make sure my family was well taken care of *immediate.. no siblings*
I would invest in businesses.. that would keep growing *hopefully* Build our dream Studio.. equip it .. and still do what I do every day.. Kenpo :)
do some traveling.. Probably take the studio bunch on a Kenpo Tour circuit..
Build our dream home..
Seriously doubt a whole lot would change.. just the backdrop to how we live right now :D
and the fact that we would have a decent car and I would no longer be working the night shift.

someguy

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I guess i might eventually finish college but it would take me a while. I'd take like 5 hours a semster or something and goof of alot. I'd also give stuff to people. I think I would get kind of lazy though. Well very lazy. Maybe it wouldn't be so good.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Apparently I'll be the exception here.

I'd keep my job as a wildlife biologist and the money would let my wife go back to school to be a vet.

I did not spend 7 years in school and 7 years of seasonal work to get a job that I love, just to quit now.

It would be nice to not have to worry about money, but then I'd worry about my future kids turning into to little rich @##@s.

Lamont

OP
E

edhead2000

I'd definitely stay in school. I've put way too much into it to leave it all behind. Besides, I like school, it's fun. :) And this way I could even pay for it. I'd probably buy a new car, but I like where I live, so I'd stay here. Although I could afford for someone else to clean it for me. :) hehe. Then I'd go back to New Zealand and stay for a while, cause it truly is the best place on earth (well, at least "my" earth). And I'd take up some fun expensive hobbies like skydiving or bungee jumping. I'd give my parents some money so they could retire and I'd buy my cat a very nice kitty house.

Erin

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Id quit my job and use the money to open a buisness I would love...

I'd start a Brewpub. Even if the Pub lost money, Id be HAPPY doing what I love.

Makin' beer.:drinkbeer :drinkbeer :drinkbeer

someguy

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Afterr a recent encounter with my friends overly rich relatives I have come to a conclusion. Too much money is bad. It makes people worse if the get too much. While this sin't allways true it seems to be fairly common. I think I'd give away a large chunk after helping family and maybe some close friends out abit.
That and paying people to do stuipid point less things.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by someguy
Afterr a recent encounter with my friends overly rich relatives I have come to a conclusion. Too much money is bad. It makes people worse if the get too much. While this sin't allways true it seems to be fairly common. I think I'd give away a large chunk after helping family and maybe some close friends out abit.
That and paying people to do stuipid point less things.

I think it is important to not have money in the formative years. This allows you to get an idea of value and arguably a better set of morals. If you get too much too soon, you get spoiled. In later years when your opinions are already formed and your experiences have tempered your attitude without the bias or taint of extreme wealth it is okay to have money. Just my opinion.

OP
E

edhead2000

Originally posted by Technopunk
Makin' beer.:drinkbeer :drinkbeer :drinkbeer

And all Martial Talk members would get it for free!! :)