The thought

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was just sitting here all day thinking what it is for a child to be home and the thought occur to me, he is problay thinking the same thing. As I called for my oldest son to come over and sit down to talk about life in general, he say dad you know what TKD means to me? I said I have a pretty good ideal since I have been training you since you could walk but go a head and tell me. To my surprise he says this:

TKD means I have a way of life that is so much more than must of the people I know, he goes on and says that if it was not for the discipline and the dedication he has toward it, he might be like some of his friends. Of course like any good father I said go on, he replys that medals and being on certain team is so small next to the bigger picture of his life. He said though TKD he has a general understanding that it is not about him but what he can bring to his community and that he has offer the school to be a place for trouble youth to come on Saturday after classes and Sunday after church so he and some friends can help these teenager with homework and give them a place to get some aggresion out with a strong workout. I said how come I have not heard about this and his reply was a few weeks ago you told me and Jesus to get a program going to help the area and this is what we would like to do, what can I say but I will be there to support and help guide them in there journey. This is what TKD is a tool to build strong young youth and to teach them that giving is better than recieving. I am a proud father and instructor right now considering he is 15 and his friend is 17, they would like to kick this off next month and I believe they can help in some way to make life better for some.

Thank you for listening and thank you my son and student to really understand what is important in our lifes. :asian:

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I wasnt lucky enough to have my Father as my instructor. Instead, my instructor became a father-like figure. Taekwondo and MA in general can do so much for those in need or in search of themselves. I too did not become like my friends, because of TKD.

You are lucky Terry, My first instructor I had growing up, children HATED TKD. I could only get the son to participate if he was with me during class, because to him, I am his big brother. When I joined the military and left, He stopped participating in class. His father wanted so Bad for his son and daughter to love TKD. And they did the opposite. Perhaps if I stayed, they might have.... sometimes the influence comes from someone they look up to.... obviously Your son looks up to you.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wasnt lucky enough to have my Father as my instructor. Instead, my instructor became a father-like figure. Taekwondo and MA in general can do so much for those in need or in search of themselves. I too did not become like my friends, because of TKD.

You are lucky Terry, My first instructor I had growing up, children HATED TKD. I could only get the son to participate if he was with me during class, because to him, I am his big brother. When I joined the military and left, He stopped participating in class. His father wanted so Bad for his son and daughter to love TKD. And they did the opposite. Perhaps if I stayed, they might have.... sometimes the influence comes from someone they look up to.... obviously Your son looks up to you.

I ahve been lucky to have a wonderful family and wonderful students. Sounds like you too have benefitted from the Tenets and lifestyle of TKD.:asian:

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I was just sitting here all day thinking what it is for a child to be home and the thought occur to me, he is problay thinking the same thing. As I called for my oldest son to come over and sit down to talk about life in general, he say dad you know what TKD means to me? I said I have a pretty good ideal since I have been training you since you could walk but go a head and tell me. To my surprise he says this:

TKD means I have a way of life that is so much more than must of the people I know, he goes on and says that if it was not for the discipline and the dedication he has toward it, he might be like some of his friends. Of course like any good father I said go on, he replys that medals and being on certain team is so small next to the bigger picture of his life. He said though TKD he has a general understanding that it is not about him but what he can bring to his community and that he has offer the school to be a place for trouble youth to come on Saturday after classes and Sunday after church so he and some friends can help these teenager with homework and give them a place to get some aggresion out with a strong workout. I said how come I have not heard about this and his reply was a few weeks ago you told me and Jesus to get a program going to help the area and this is what we would like to do, what can I say but I will be there to support and help guide them in there journey. This is what TKD is a tool to build strong young youth and to teach them that giving is better than recieving. I am a proud father and instructor right now considering he is 15 and his friend is 17, they would like to kick this off next month and I believe they can help in some way to make life better for some.

Thank you for listening and thank you my son and student to really understand what is important in our lifes. :asian:

Terry: After reading all about the depressing politics and power struggles that are brewing among our so called leaders of Taekwondo, it's so kind of you and refreshing to share your son's wisdom with us. Sometimes it takes a child to remind us of what's really important in Taekwondo. Thanks again!

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Terry: After reading all about the depressing politics and power struggles that are brewing among our so called leaders of Taekwondo, it's so kind of you and refreshing to share your son's wisdom with us. Sometimes it takes a child to remind us of what's really important in Taekwondo. Thanks again!

You are welcome.