The science of invisibility

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Check out this article!

Invisibility has long been a fantastical ability exclusively enjoyed by teenage wizards, super heroes and the ultra-advanced civilisations of science fiction.

But more pragmatic-minded scientists and engineers now believe that invisibility-enabling technology may be within reach of lesser mortals as well.

I'm starting to save my pennies for an invisible cloak :)

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
From TFA:
"You would see black, of course ," said Leonhardt. "You are completely cut off from light as it is guided around you -- so you wouldn't see anything."
Interesting concept. I could see an application for VR here too in this instance, along with the new imaging techs. You wear a set of glasses/goggles that project the terrain around you using VR and GPS. Could do Thermal and UV scanning as well....

And perhaps you could carry a big spear and a monofillament net... and a flying cutting disk that acts as a guided weapon...

:)

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Xue Sheng said:
I generally just cover my eyes and say *you can't see me" to become invisible.

It works but you need to take your clothes off. I'm always the life of the party when I go invisible.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Shaolinwind said:
It works but you need to take your clothes off. I'm always the life of the party when I go invisible.

First, my first response to reading the above
:lol:

Now my second thought upon consideration of the above,

DRAT!!!

Then they can still see my cloths my way.... I never thought of that...Thanks for the tip...

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Within the next 10 years or less, either nanotech or self-actualizing and self-reproducing computers will profoundly change our world as we know it; and it will seem like it occured overnight when it does.

This is something I have been absorbing lately, and reading about, among other things...

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mrhnau said:
Check out this article!

I'm starting to save my pennies for an invisible cloak :)

That is sooooo cool.

Shaolinwind said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xue Sheng
I generally just cover my eyes and say *you can't see me" to become invisible.

:lfao:

Reaction score
i heard about a suit thats made of loads of little cameras and screens ans it films whats around you and puts it on the screen so when you look at the front of the suit all you can see is whats behind it so its "invisible" however you can see a wavy outline of the person wearing it so they look like predator lol

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Shaolinwind said:

I can see I'm not alone here. :) DING DING! My mate got arrested in a pub in the UK for stripping off. We were in the RN at the time, and were playing "Naked Bar".

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Now not being a physics expert and probably missing something important here, but it seems they solved there own problem...

One problem that engineers would face would be in creating a metamaterial covering the full range of the optical spectrum rather than a single color or light frequency.

"You would see black, of course ," said Leonhardt. "You are completely cut off from light as it is guided around you -- so you wouldn't see anything."

So put me in a Single colored full body suit and give me one :) No need to cover the full range of the light spectrum, just a big enough range to hide me :D

Edit: Ok, As soon as I postd I figured out the problem, Everything behind me of other colors would dissapear... Still, that would be cool too. It would be like casting a shadow without actually being there, great for scarring people :)

Latest Discussions