The Psychology of the Internet Troll

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What i don't get is of course in Australian culture trolling is done face to face.

And has been done for a hundred years. The internet has only toned down the level that trolling would normally be taken to.

The ability to troll is respected as a social skill.

Personally I believe this anti trolling push is mearly an attempt to impose someone elses cultural norms on the rest of the world.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What i don't get is of course in Australian culture trolling is done face to face.

And has been done for a hundred years. The internet has only toned down the level that trolling would normally be taken to.

The ability to troll is respected as a social skill.

Personally I believe this anti trolling push is mearly an attempt to impose someone elses cultural norms on the rest of the world.
Yes, and anti-trolling is a surreptitious way of trolling. :)

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The short extract article makes good points. Anonymous behavior empowers people to act as they wish, for good or for ill. Very few people who say truly horrible, hateful things online would do so if face to face with the person their behavior is directed towards. There are some who will, of course, but by and large, most refrain from such behavior when forced to reveal their identity.

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
That's me outside of Martialtalk. This is the only website where I don't spit memes layered with multiple coatings of irony on a regular basis.