The Pink Book?

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi All,

Here in California on vacation with my family (Disneyland & San Diego Zoo and Seaworld). Celebrating both Thanksgiving and the annual observance and festival of the continued existence of me (my birthday is the 18th - still waiting for presents, folks!). Had some down time and came upon this thread again. A couple of comments:

Carol,
It's "Dan." I only ask my students (in a very stern tone of voice) to call me Professor. Thanks for the manners, though. If you are determined to be formal, you may refer to me as "Your Worship." I like that. :)

Brian,
Thanks for the comments on my books. All of you out in cyberland - listen to the young man and buy, buy, buy!

Rich misspeaks himself regarding being too lazy to buy my books. He's too cheap! Actually Rich and I are friends and I love to pick on him. My word of advice: keep asking him questions - he's got a lot more knowledge than many people expect, both technical and historical. He just doesn't shamelessly plug himself like some West Coast authors do. BTW, he is required to call me "Your Worship." :ultracool

Harold,
No offense taken. Prof. Remy laid down the ground work for us all with his teaching and his books/videos. Unfortunately for the western mind, he was not that much of an author. Rosemary helped big time with his books written in the PI and Renardo Barden (of Karate Illustrated magazine) finished his book for Ohara Publications. The magic was in the personal touch of the man.

My original aim the of the book writing was to clarify what he taught, not to be any kind of replacement for his teaching or to put myself in a position of greater authority (nobody is making that claim that I am, either). They turned out to be a catalyst for my finding my own way in FMA using Modern Arnis as a base of reference. What I have gotten from the writing of them has far exceeded what I was going for. I have met, trained with, and have taught with my older brothers in the PI. My branch of Modern Arnis has been certified in the PI as well. All from starting out in a seminar in 1980. Hell, I'm way off track here, aren't I. Too much time this morning with a good cup of coffee. Ahhh. All for now.

Yours,
Dan Anderson
Hi Dan,

Also, please note that I wrote that you provided "excellent commentaries"!

-Harold

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Rikki,
When do you plan to begin your book? (Note: Rich talked to me about doing one a month or so ago. Personally I think it will be an excellent addition to FMA books. His knowledge of FMA history in both Balintawak and Modern Arnis is quite good and he looks at the technical side with a very scientific view. I'll be on the waiting list to buy one. Did you see the word, "buy", you cheap @$%%%!!*&!???)

Harold,
Yes, I did notice and thank you. (Harold has picked up several of my books so he isn't yammering but stating a preference. Is cool.)

Starting for home today. Be off th ekeys for a bit.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rikki,
When do you plan to begin your book? (Note: Rich talked to me about doing one a month or so ago. Personally I think it will be an excellent addition to FMA books. His knowledge of FMA history in both Balintawak and Modern Arnis is quite good and he looks at the technical side with a very scientific view. I'll be on the waiting list to buy one. Did you see the word, "buy", you cheap @$%%%!!*&!???)

Harold,
Yes, I did notice and thank you. (Harold has picked up several of my books so he isn't yammering but stating a preference. Is cool.)

Starting for home today. Be off th ekeys for a bit.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

Dan,

I have some ideas on paper. I am working on gettign into the mode by starting with a history introduction to update a website. And possible publish in an electronic magazine.

I can see lots of things in my mind, and yet I know I do not have the equipment for the pictures so I have to wait until I can get one or work with someone who has patience to work with an engineer. As I would want lots of pictures to choose from so I can show specifics with my verbage. I remember a couple of paragraphs I wrote about a disarm and you commented :) that I need to include pictures with that next time. So, I have to first get into the mode of just putting descriptions down, which is where I will start, and then try to tie it together later with my outline that I also have scribbled down.

No time line established yet, still doing a lot of thinking out in my head and out loud. On a side note I have been taking some business classes to help me plan for the possibility of a club of my own. (* Still affiliated with the Flint Club - same curriculum - just a place for me to teach out of. *) I am loking into the costs of set up and having minimum equipment on hand, how to pick it up slowly over time, and to also plan on a minimum number of students to pay rent and keep the lights on. Money making would be long term goal, but keeping it open is the short term plan. So, just looking into that at the same time keeps me busy as I do not jump, I like to make plans. Once again no time line on this, just thinking on paper and outloud.

Thanks for the encouragement. :) I think the first attempts at writing a book would be to write and use for the club, and possible some limited sales elsewhere. This would allow me to work out the kinks and issues.

Morgan

Green Belt
Reaction score
Okay let's move back to discussion on the "Pink Book" as that is what this thread is about.

For myself I do not use the Pink Book for anything other than to look at it once in a blue moon. It was not the best book in my opinion nor were any of the Professors books for that matter. Still it plays a part in the history of Modern Arnis and that is why I take a peek every now and then.
icon6.gif

Mr. VanCise,

I can agree with the history aspect of the Pink Book. OTOH, I do find it useful as an early overview of what Professor Presas was doing within Modern Arnis. It's much more comprehensive than the later published Yellow Book. That book is a mere quick entry summery. It's useful, easy
to understand, but entirely too brief.

Morgan

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mr. VanCise,

I can agree with the history aspect of the Pink Book. OTOH, I do find it useful as an early overview of what Professor Presas was doing within Modern Arnis. It's much more comprehensive than the later published Yellow Book. That book is a mere quick entry summery. It's useful, easy
to understand, but entirely too brief.

Morgan

Hey no problem to each his own. In my opinion the Professor was not the best writer or author still he was simply amazing at what he did!
icon6.gif

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Dan,

I have some ideas on paper. I am working on gettign into the mode by starting with a history introduction to update a website. And possible publish in an electronic magazine.

I can see lots of things in my mind, and yet I know I do not have the equipment for the pictures so I have to wait until I can get one or work with someone who has patience to work with an engineer. As I would want lots of pictures to choose from so I can show specifics with my verbage. I remember a couple of paragraphs I wrote about a disarm and you commented :) that I need to include pictures with that next time. So, I have to first get into the mode of just putting descriptions down, which is where I will start, and then try to tie it together later with my outline that I also have scribbled down.

No time line established yet, still doing a lot of thinking out in my head and out loud. On a side note I have been taking some business classes to help me plan for the possibility of a club of my own. (* Still affiliated with the Flint Club - same curriculum - just a place for me to teach out of. *) I am loking into the costs of set up and having minimum equipment on hand, how to pick it up slowly over time, and to also plan on a minimum number of students to pay rent and keep the lights on. Money making would be long term goal, but keeping it open is the short term plan. So, just looking into that at the same time keeps me busy as I do not jump, I like to make plans. Once again no time line on this, just thinking on paper and outloud.

Thanks for the encouragement. :) I think the first attempts at writing a book would be to write and use for the club, and possible some limited sales elsewhere. This would allow me to work out the kinks and issues.

Hey Rich a book project! That is great!
icon14.gif
Take your time and get it the way you want it and I am sure Dan or I can give you a lot of helpful hints and pitfalls to avoid. Personally after my latest ebook and how sales jumped once it came out I am moving into ebooks myself. Currently I am working on five of them. :erg: Still knowing you and how you teach I for one would definately be interested in getting one. As Dan knows and just about every other martial arts author out there knows I like to have lot's of reading material!
icon6.gif

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That is cool, still personally for me the Professor's books are a historical type of book only. Just in the over all scheme of things they were not that great. Now Dan Andersons books are a whole different matter. They have alot and I do mean alot of information in them.

Which brings up a question. What do people look for in martial arts books? What would have made the Pink book a "great" book? Better photos? more techniques? fewer techniques but more detail of the ones included? history of the art?

What makes one Arnis book "great" but others less so?

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Which brings up a question. What do people look for in martial arts books? What would have made the Pink book a "great" book? Better photos? more techniques? fewer techniques but more detail of the ones included? history of the art?

A book is a reference tool. I like one book more than another in its usefulness as a reference tool. Can I learn some history or philosophy or see a technique. The benefit of a book is that it can be held in one location while the person is able to read it where they want too or even look and practice. A video has motion so it is better in some aspects, but in others it is harder to get it to stop so you can look at a picture and then read the description and try to let it sink in. Older VCR's that had nice slow motion would do this ok to slow something down, but you alwasy had to back it up and reply it to get the audio. Each has benefits in their own. Some books might be great for beginners, and another book to detailed or confusing. To me though a book that stands the test of time for martial arts has some pictures or diagrams but has verbage that covers the history or the philosophy or explanations for the intermediate and advanced students. Having a good beginner book is important for club usage, but to learn a system, the book should be a reference tool to the students who are getting instruction elsewhere in person. To me this means, the book should assume that beginners can "learn it" but it may require someone from another system with skills to do it. "Learn it" was in quotes as in anything physical, one get read plays for football all day long, but until one goes and runs them they do not having the timing of the snap coulnt and when to turn down.

Just my opinion. (* A good question though also in my opinion. *)

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey Rich a book project! That is great!
icon14.gif
Take your time and get it the way you want it and I am sure Dan or I can give you a lot of helpful hints and pitfalls to avoid. Personally after my latest ebook and how sales jumped once it came out I am moving into ebooks myself. Currently I am working on five of them. :erg: Still knowing you and how you teach I for one would definately be interested in getting one. As Dan knows and just about every other martial arts author out there knows I like to have lot's of reading material!
icon6.gif

Brian,

I will contact you later when I am past the real high 10,000 foot level. ;)

Thanks

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A book is a reference tool. I like one book more than another in its usefulness as a reference tool. Can I learn some history or philosophy or see a technique. The benefit of a book is that it can be held in one location while the person is able to read it where they want too or even look and practice. A video has motion so it is better in some aspects, but in others it is harder to get it to stop so you can look at a picture and then read the description and try to let it sink in. Older VCR's that had nice slow motion would do this ok to slow something down, but you alwasy had to back it up and reply it to get the audio. Each has benefits in their own. Some books might be great for beginners, and another book to detailed or confusing. To me though a book that stands the test of time for martial arts has some pictures or diagrams but has verbage that covers the history or the philosophy or explanations for the intermediate and advanced students. Having a good beginner book is important for club usage, but to learn a system, the book should be a reference tool to the students who are getting instruction elsewhere in person. To me this means, the book should assume that beginners can "learn it" but it may require someone from another system with skills to do it. "Learn it" was in quotes as in anything physical, one get read plays for football all day long, but until one goes and runs them they do not having the timing of the snap coulnt and when to turn down.

Just my opinion. (* A good question though also in my opinion. *)

Nice reply, thanks. Ive always like books that had many photographs of a technique. I dislike the books that show a "before-after" sequence but you just cant seem to "see" what the technique was.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just a note- In the yellow book , Jeff Arnold and Mike Replogle are the main training partners and simple mention that they are Michiganders. Several of the original Modern Arnis guys here in Michigan. Of course Charlie Brooks and I were way too far north to be included - he he

Just a reply to your note: I had the benefit of learning from a great Modern Arnis instructor in Michigan when I started (Ted Reddish). Not many people know him, but he was very good, and I am sure that had to do with the high quality of Modern Arnis training that was around in Michigan back then. If it wasn't for Mr. Reddish, I would not have been able to start Modern Arnis when I was 12, and I would not have had people to train with outside seminars. I was very fortunate.

As to the pink book: great book, and great historical reference. Makes me want to try to find mine, as I am not sure where it is at the moment! ;)

K Williams

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I bought mine at one of the Professor's seminars here in NYC. Got it signed by him too.

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I bought mine at one of the Professor's seminars here in NYC. Got it signed by him too.

At the time he would always sign for those who bought from him. I still have mine. It is one of the few that survived personal issues. I have picked up another copy to use as my reference material to keep the signed one in better shape over time. :)

Thanks for sharing.

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

I look at a book from several different angles of view.
1) Historical: If it has pictures or information that show or explain how things were done in the former days, then even though it might be not how things are done today, than it is still useful to get a wider view of things.

2) Technical: If the book explains the material in a thoughtful manner, as in it is laid out in chapters, establishes a base of knowledge to work from, builds on that base, and leads somewhere. If the book has pictures to demonstrate the techniques in a clear manner, and gets the technique across to the reader (if that was the intention in the first place).

3) Informational: If the book was written to explain concepts, stories to get its points across. Instead of using pictures the author uses words to convey concepts behind the techniques; explaining timing, distancing, strategy, or events.

4) Pure enjoyment: If the book has stories about the subject matter (say a person) that makes the reader feel like they learned something new about the person, make the reader more connected (albeit in small way) to a much larger whole. Sharing an exerience so to speak.

Now to me (only my opinion here) a great book will include several of these points and the more of these points it hits without going overboard the better the book will be. The less the book hits then the less the book will be, even though the book maybe really strong in one area.

In my opinion this is one of the reasons that Guro Inosanto's book always gets referenced as a great book. He hits on all of these points. So anyone who reads it gets something out of it, and all of them are covered pretty well in it.

He starts out with the historical and the personal information about the men who were his teachers so you feel connected to the art. Then he covers the technical and the conceptual angles as well. A blend of pictures and technical writing to get the point across.

GM Remy's books are different, the technical are covered with pictures and words to describe the pictures but they are technically cold, removed. They show the how and the result but the why isn't covered or explained at all.

For me GM Remy will always be The Man (as someone posted in this thread) in Modern Arnis, and his books will always have value in my collection and in my teaching. However I do believe that there have been better books written (like SM Dan's books that I have purchased) and I believe there will be better books written in the future by other wirters about Modern Arnis.

Different subject matter but same point and that is I believe the same thing about his video series as well. All of his tapes are like this. Although he gets his points across better in motion and action as opposed to his written word. But I believe there is better explaination of technique and the concepts behind the techniques out there from the downline instructors, although no one can come close to his video presence or performance.

Mark

hapkenkido

Blue Belt
Reaction score
i just got the pink book 2 weeks ago. i love the history and the anyos. i have been doing Modern Arnis off and on for a few years now but am realy getting to train steady now.

Morgan

Green Belt
Reaction score
i just got the pink book 2 weeks ago. i love the history and the anyos. i have been doing Modern Arnis off and on for a few years now but am realy getting to train steady now.

This is a good book and informative if you take the time to read it carefully and practice the various techniques illustrated.

Morgan

Latest Discussions