The Person Below Me...

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ever in the pursuit of bringing the world closer together, I'm going to start a little game. It's an easy one.

The person in the post immediately before you will ask a question. You answer that question in your posts and then ask your own for the person to follow you.

I suggest quoting the question instead of just answering. Everyone posts quickly here so we wouldn't want the question to get lost in the mix.

Also, if you wish to answer your own question as part of the original post, that's fine too. It's all about sharing and learning.

I'll start.

Question: The person below me has been in a physical fight in their adult life.

I was in a fight as part of my job as Residence Director for a state college. One student was in a fight with 10 guys who were determined to hurt him. Security was called but I knew they'd arrive about half-an-hour later. I intervened for the safety of the student.

I used my evasion skills to work my way into the middle and then started throwing the closest assailants in a way that brought them off balance and away from the one student without injuring them. Once I had cleared the student from the group I tried to talk them all down.

The one student, both drunk and high, at one point tried to run past me and back into the fight. Despite wanting to let him get beaten up for being stupid, I didn't want him to get hurt. Because of his intoxication and altered mental state I knew he wouldn't feel any pain if I tried a controlling technique.

So, as he ran past, I simply locked him into a standing rear choke. Our chokes are quite effective and he was on the ground stunned in 4 seconds. The other guys seemd to have respect for my exhibited ability and, with the fervor of the moment, passed, allowed me to get the student out of there instead of risking expulsion.

Such an event could have gone many different ways but I had to react instantly in the manner I thought best.

Anyway, so there's my question:

(That'll include anyone from 16 and up just for you, Sam. lol)

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Navarre said:

(That'll include anyone from 16 and up just for you, Sam. lol)

I like these new games you've started. I'm not Sam, but I've been in a physical fight in my adult life.

My mom and I started taking Aikido some years back to learn to defend ourselves from my older brother (down syndrome, maybe mentally ill too). Before we found the right combination of medication, he'd go in sudden violent rages at the drop of a hat and attack us. He's my height, but much stronger and heavier than both me and my mom. Since he usually went after my mom first, she'd distract him while I got behind him and did a choke hold (might be called a "sleeper hold"?, not sure) that my sensei taught me. We got him under control until he calmed down enough to let him go. None of us were hurt, which was the best part. We had to step in to stop him at least 3 times, but all started and ended about the same. Even though he's still living with us, we haven't had an incident in several years now. :)

Question: The person below me has met someone famous.

(Sorry, I couldn't think of a better question.)

Solidman82

Purple Belt
Reaction score
When I competed in a tournament in the Sahara hotel in Vegas I met Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa (better known as Shang Tsun from Mortal Kombat). He gave me advice before my sparring match signed a cool hat for my friend, and we took a picture after me and my buddy Lars sparred for the finals. http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/5068/1704/1600/Jeff%2C%20Lars%20and%20Mr.%20Tagawa.jpg (pic is there). He's the nicest guy I've ever met and even gave a speech about martial artists being peacekeepers in this day and age, despite the roles he plays in many movies.

The person below me has stared death in the face.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Solidman82 said:
The person below me has stared death in the face.
While delivering pizzas (eons ago) I found myself going to the most not-so-safe neighborhoods from time to time. One such delivery took me to the projects which were a few blocks from our store. I've delivered there several times before and had no problems (except no tips). One night I went to the address (in said projects) and knocked on the door. I could hear loud music playing and thus after a moment knocked louder, at the time I wasn't in the best of moods because of my co-workers and I had a brief tiff (not quite an argument but enough to irk), I was about to knock again and got a rude :"WHO IS IT?!!"
Not to be outdone I retorted back: "PIZZA!"
The door suddenly opens and I'm staring down the muzzle of a .45 auto about two inches from my face. The guy holding the gun said: "What do you want mother f-----?"
Oddly I was calm and said that I had a pizza delivery for this address.
The guy with the gun very carefully and calmly said:"I - didn't - order - any - f---ing - pizza..." and clicked the hammer back.
"Well, the address is on the ticket man... right here!"
He looked quick but the barrel never waivered... he turned his head and shouted "Who the f--- ordered a god-d--ned pizza?"
Silence.... then... "Oh, I did dude!"
A stoned guy staggered up and pushed the gunman away and gleefully paid for his munchies with a tip. I realized then that I just delivered to a dealer's house. The stoned guy went back in and the gun man re-leveled his pistol back in my face... after a moment... "Well?"
I shrugged and said: "I was never here" and turned on my heel to walk off.
I heard the door slam behind me (yeah thought it was a gunshot) and the guy screaming bloody murder at the stoner.
I walked calmly to my car and got in... turned the igniton key... then broke down shaking for about 20 minutes. My boss was livid when I walked back into the store/resturant and was yelling at me (had back orders of deliveries waiting too long) until he saw my face... white as a sheet.
Told my boss we ain't delivering to that address NO-MO! He agreed.
Oddly enough... that was the last time I became afraid of anyone.

The person below me secretly admires someone on this forum...

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
(will now automatically assume anytime navarre says 'adult' he means from 16 on)
The person below me secretly admires someone on this forum...

I don't sercretly admire anyone, everyone I admire knows it. The only person I secretly admire is only secret in real life.

The person below me really dislikes one particular student they train with

OP
Navarre

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sam said:
I don't sercretly admire anyone, everyone I admire knows it. The only person I secretly admire is only secret in real life.

Hmmm. Well, I'm not aware of you admiring me and you don't admire anyone here secretly, therefore...awww, man....:shrug:

Sam said:
The person below me really dislikes one particular student they train with

I always try to keep perspective on anyone I feel inclined to dislike because I rarely know enough about them to form a valid opinion. However, after training for decades with one particular student, I'd have to say I'm not too fond of him.

My biggest problem is that he's a black belt but doesn't, in my opinion, embody the qualities a black belt should. I didn't train him and he has some good qualities but can be abrasive.

His biggest fault is that he believes true power comes from channeled anger. He thinks one should become angry and then focus that anger toward the opponent in a controlled manner.

He has a lot of ego. Doesn't do much in class but likes to talk a lot outside of it. He talks about this channeled anger as "the eye of the tiger". Please.

I disagree with him, of course. I believe in focused intensity in the moment devoid of negative emotion. He's entitled to his opinion but it doesn't match our style's philosophy. As a black belt he should exemplify all that we are.

Apparently he's embraced the Dark Side of The Force. The Emperor would be proud.

Question: The person below me has a true fear of something, to the point of being phobic.

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Navarre said:
Question: The person below me has a true fear of something, to the point of being phobic.

Driving in the mountains, over long, high bridges, levee roads etc.

Question: The person below me has ever been the victim of an armed robbery?

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
Question: The person below me has ever been the victim of an armed robbery?

Worked at a convenience store during my last year of high school. Guy came in with a rather large knife demanding all our money. It was given to him and no one was hurt. Went and testified about 1 1/2 years later at his trial. By that time I couldn't be sure it was him, his appearance had changed so much.

The person below me has survived a sometimes fatal disease (eg. cancer)

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score

I have Hep. C - got it when I was born from my mother, who was unfortunately raped, by a guy who must've had it. I dont think it really counts though as I didnt really 'survive' it, because thus far my liver has given me NO problems **knock on wood**.

I guess I'll just repeat the question.

Solidman82

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Last year I came down with a pretty nasty staph infection. It took over the right side of my face and caused my glands to swell up with poison.

I didn't think it was very serious but my doctor told me that if it weren't for antibiotics I would've been dead within the next week. He said it would've gone to my brain within a few days and killed me a few days after that.

I'm a little more weary to keep my cuts and scratches clean now.

The person below me has experienced something supernatural.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Solidman82 said:
The person below me has experienced something supernatural.

Saw a ghost two years ago in my dorm....

I was sitting at my computer and saw the reflection, in my TV (which was off) of someone in my doorway...turned around to say something to them...and my door was closed....

Creeped me the heck out...and I left my room and went and sat in the lounge for a few hours..

The person below me doubts themselves and their ability sometimes.

dianhsuhe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yup, I just came back to training after some time of and I doubt my abilities... Primarily because I used to train and teach full-time and never took more than a few days off from training- Now I am lethargic, out of shape and rusty at even the most basic material in our system.

I would say I doubt my ability to perform at a level that I am comfortable with but not doubtful that I could defend myself.

The person below me has broken at least one rib (on themselves or an opponent) while training!

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
bignick said:
The person below me doubts themselves and their ability sometimes.

i was a bouncer in a club that was pretty rough when i first started out.
i eventually became the head doorman and had a great team of guys. i went from getting into 5 or more scuffles a night to maybe one or 2 a month......in between i used to ask myself if i was really cut out for that crap and was just waiting for my luck to run out.

the person below me...what is your biggest phobia and what do you do to deal with it?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tim Hartman fractured my rib...does that count? I've had bruised ribs too.

The person below me is unhappy with his or her current job.

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sam said:

Well, since I said it, I gotta stick with it. I publicly announce that I admire Johnathan Randall and Navvare. We should all worship them. Oh, and Gin-Gin.

arnisador said:
The person below me is unhappy with his or her current job.

I work at a pizza place on friday, saturday, and sunday nights. any other days I'm at school and training. It sucks pretty hard. One of the managers is an alcoholic asswipe. Doesnt know how to speak in front of a lady, or how to treat one.

The person below me has some type of injury

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Velcro across the eye, I look like I got mistaken for a scratching post :D

The person below me has a cat

Raewyn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In fact I have two cats, Bonnie & Clyde, and Clyde chases our dog!!

The person below me has eaten Haggis and actually liked it

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sam said:
Well, since I said it, I gotta stick with it. I publicly announce that I admire Johnathan Randall and Navvare. We should all worship them. Oh, and Gin-Gin.

I'm touched, Samantha. I must publicly announce that I admire YOU, Shesulsa and Arnisador. I think you are a gifted and intelligent young woman, and if your were my daughter, I would rejoice!

On edit: Bob Hubbard and the MT staff for creating one of the few MA forums on the net that isn't a recreation of all the worst aspects of junior high school.

Solidman82

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I don't think there's a person on this forum that's eaten haggis and liked it.

Latest Discussions