The Passion of The Christ

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was invited by an Evangelical to attend this film, and declined. I kept thinking he was hoping I'd have a "Come to Jesus" moment after the screening.

I was disturbed by the trailers, and the subsequent ads by tacked on them by local churches inviting people to attend services or call if they had any questions. It seemed so...commercial.

Then there is the portrayal of Jesus and Mary as absolutely beautiful people. The actor and actress they hired for these roles could be models...if they're not allready. Is it so improper that they be AVERAGE in appearance? Couldn't Jesus have buck teeth? Couldn't Mary have bad skin? Or does God incarnate HAVE to be a hunk?

Anybody want to throw thoughts out on this? Have you seen it? Do you intend to?

Regards,

Steve

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No, I haven't seen it, and I'm not in any hurry. It is just another "hollywood" interpretation.

- Ceicei

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Im sort of amused by the concern about the violence in this movie. It was a crucifixion for Gods sake (pun intended) what do people think the event was really like? A few drops of blood around the head, side,hands and feet like the cross in church? It was a bloody, savage, painful death preceeded by flogging, what do people expect?

M

MisterMike

I plan to see it opening night. I've only heard good things about it and from what I have read, it was a goal of Mel Gibson's for nearly a decade. I think it will be more accurate than what we typically see coming out of "Hollywood." Actually I think there is no Hollywood in this picture. Started, funded and produced under Mr. Gibson. A true message.

From the previews, I think it would be a moving picture for anyone to see regardless of faith or lack thereof.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm going to see it because it was a message by Mr. Gibson. It is truly an artistic statement of his belief. And even though I don't count myself among Christian ranks (UU) I respect that greatly. Also, I want to see the portrayal. I want to see if it follows the strict historical story or if it diverges into some of the more heretical versions. The pope liked it. Mr. Gibson gave him a private screening and the pope sent a letter back with one sentance...

"It is as it was."

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
hardheadjarhead said:
Then there is the portrayal of Jesus and Mary as absolutely beautiful people. The actor and actress they hired for these roles could be models...if they're not allready. Is it so improper that they be AVERAGE in appearance? Couldn't Jesus have buck teeth? Couldn't Mary have bad skin? Or does God incarnate HAVE to be a hunk?
Steve
For the sake of argument:

-The people of most early and primative cultures had physiques that were sculpted and wiry, and would most likely be considered very attractive by modern standards, due to the everyday hard work needed to survive. That's not to mention that average today means overweight.

-I think its pretty safe to say that Jesus must have been a charismatic person to acheive so much fame. That kind of charisma in early cultures was always tempered by at least moderate physical attractivness or beauty.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tgace said:
Im sort of amused by the concern about the violence in this movie. It was a crucifixion for Gods sake (pun intended) what do people think the event was really like? A few drops of blood around the head, side,hands and feet like the cross in church? It was a bloody, savage, painful death preceeded by flogging, what do people expect?
I don't know, we spend so much time trying to convince ourselves that our civilization is better than ancient Rome. Rome flaunted death for its people to see and so they would never forget the glory of Rome. Yet, although most of us choose to forget that the Christians were just as guilty of feeding pegans to the lions as the other way around, there seems to be a pull toward the days of colleseum. Christians seem to be out in force trying to get people in the theaters to see the blood and guts for the glory of the Christ. At least we can all agree that boobs are evil. :uhyeah:
Sean

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Touch'O'Death said:
I don't know, we spend so much time trying to convince ourselves that our civilization is better than ancient Rome. Rome flaunted death for its people to see and so they would never forget the glory of Rome. Yet, although most of us choose to forget that the Christians were just as guilty of feeding pegans to the lions as the other way around, there seems to be a pull toward the days of colleseum. Christians seem to be out in force trying to get people in the theaters to see the blood and guts for the glory of the Christ. At least we can all agree that boobs are evil. :uhyeah:
Sean

Save your anti-Christian rant heathen, or I'll have to send you to the....

"IRON MAIDAN!"

"Excellent!" (as I play air guitar).

"Execute them!"

"Bogus!"

Bill and Teds excellent adventure aside, I think your leaving out the fact that there is evil and violence in all cultures...and thats what people forget the most when they play the "blame Christians" game.

PAUL

ps...I like boobs. I just wanted to say that. :boing2:

S

ShaolinWolf

ok then...don'cha love one topic can turn into another topic...let's stay on track here...THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST, NOT BOOBS!!!!...

anyways, Yeah, my church bought out two theatres for like the opening night and the next day too...and the tickets sold out in like 60 seconds per each sermon...pretty fast, eh?...anyways, I hope to see the movie and I agree: too many people think that Jesus just got on the cross, hammered a few pins in, had some crown of meshed thorns just placed on his head, some digging in some, and just a small amount of blood from the wounds in his hands and feet, along with some scrapes on his head...I mean, I saw that pic on the main page, and it made me wanna cry...Yeah, it's R rated, but come on, the Bible isn't rated G...

Anyways, yeah I wanna see this movie bad...Gibson has been an on and off fav...I just had some issues with him, but anyways, I think he's taking a step in the right direction. So, Rock on!

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
T

TonyM.

I'll probably not see the movie as it's being hyped too much. I've also not seen the last temptation of crist, titanic, harry potter, LOTR or anything with JLo.
I won't blame Mel for his dad's assininity, but he needs to convince dad to have his meds adjusted. I was in the VA with plenty of WW11 vets so I bristle when idiots try to downplay the holocaust.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
From what I understand the movies accuracy isn't to historical or anthropological accounts as much as it's accuracy to particular gospels from the new testaments. Since these testaments were not intended to be historical accuracies, but validations of Jesus as the Christ, they will also be sprinkled with biases that will color certain individuals and groups in either a bad or good light. I have heard that the Jewish community is really against this movie because of the potrayal of ancient Jews and their treatment of Jesus. Depending on who you talk to from the Christian community, they will say that Jesus is portrayed too human or not human enough. Personal preferance. Few Christians are really scholars of the faith as much as faithful people.

Some of the images in the movie are more folk perpetuation than historical accuracy, Cross images and such. That does not take away from the power of the movies message. It does feed off of or perpetuate the religious folklore accepted around the subject, more than any historical accuracy... I can get into a good story though. Look at Braveheart or We Were Soldiers, good stories that focused on certain positive characteristics more than trying to be accurate to the persons or situation. We need inspiriational stories along with the accuracy.

S

ShaolinWolf

yeah, well, with the Jews...it's conviction...plain and simple...

With the "story", well The Bible is God-breathed, meaning every word of the Bible is true and accurate. Yes, man's hands wrote the Bible, but the whole thing is 100% accurate. If it weren't, then why believe in a god who writes only part of the truth, history, or philosophy? God talked to each author of the Bible and basically wrote what he dictated. God doesn't talk in thee's and thou and such, He talks in a language that we all understand...

Anyways, I think the exaggeration probably isn't strong enough as it is...I mean have you read the physician's report of Jesus' death? I know who ever wrote it wasn't there when He died, but it's pretty close to what is known to be historical in all ways, physical and what is true about the roman empire's ways...not that it took place in Rome...
well, here's the physician's look...

http://www.carolebevanirby.com/physicianslook.shtml

A

Andi

Looking forward to this even though the hype being generated is a bit distracting. I read somewhere that the only appearance Gibson makes is as a soldier hand's hammering a nail into Jesus. A nice touch I think- at least it's something I'm sure believers can relate to. Some people I've spoken to think Gibson's playing Jesus himself! Now that would be quite an ego-trip.

Also, I can understand the Anti-Defamation League's concerns about the portrayal of the Jews, but who will actually go watch this? It's going to be hard going by the sounds of it, especially without a word of English being spoken, which makes me think that the kind of people who thinks its ok to Jew-bash aren't too likely to attend. Perhaps they're more worried about the mere attention the film's attracting could cause outbreaks of anti-semitism. But then they're making a bit of a fuss about it and getting even more attention anyway.

Not to mention the fact that most people that understand the crucifixion realise that it wasn't only the Jews to blame.

OP
hardheadjarhead

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
I'm going to see it because it was a message by Mr. Gibson. It is truly an artistic statement of his belief. And even though I don't count myself among Christian ranks (UU) I respect that greatly. Also, I want to see the portrayal. I want to see if it follows the strict historical story or if it diverges into some of the more heretical versions. The pope liked it. Mr. Gibson gave him a private screening and the pope sent a letter back with one sentance...

"It is as it was."

I read that was later retracted by the Vatican, and that the spokesman who issued that quote was in error. I believe the Pope hasn't said anything officially in regards to the film.

One note on Jews protesting the film...one Jewish scholar said that the Jews did indeed crucify Jesus (albeit via the Romans as executioners) because he broke Jewish law. This guy was not apologetic at all. It was sort of..."Yeah, we killed him. What of it? He had it coming." Keep in mind of course that they didn't view him as the Messiah nor as God incarnate.

Regards,

Steve

Latest Discussions