Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Single ?
Both?
Is this Titanium with Graphene interface?

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Single ?
Both?
Is this Titanium with Graphene interface?

RIght knee, they want to do the left, but after this, I'm not so sure. They also want to do the right hip...also not sure at this point

as for what it is made of, not sure. I was told there are no restrictions, and that I could run with this if I wanted to. Oh there was one kinda sorta restriction. I talked to him about martial arts and he said sure, no problems, with the possible exception of grappling

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a PhD student demonstrating/assisting me in undergraduate lab classes. She was working on the use of stem cells to regenerate knee cartilage. She had just successfully completed very preliminary tests. I asked when they’d be a available on the NHS and was surprised when she said, “10-15 years”!! That was about 4 years ago…

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I had a PhD student demonstrating/assisting me in undergraduate lab classes. She was working on the use of stem cells to regenerate knee cartilage. She had just successfully completed very preliminary tests. I asked when they’d be a available on the NHS and was surprised when she said, “10-15 years”!! That was about 4 years ago…

Thanks. There is an MD in my area doing this, however it is not covered by my insurance. And it is to late for the right knee.... but they left is not good either so who knows what the future holds.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I read some encouraging articles on diet/fasting and stem cell regeneration of knee cartilage.
I was scheduled for a knee replacement and after talking with my primary she discouraged it based on my age, underlying conditions and PT duration.
I canceled out on the surgery and am trying a holistic health approach as my best option....

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I read some encouraging articles on diet/fasting and stem cell regeneration of knee cartilage.
I was scheduled for a knee replacement and after talking with my primary she discouraged it based on my age, underlying conditions and PT duration.
I canceled out on the surgery and am trying a holistic health approach as my best option....

I've managed to lose 17 pounds and it is helping. Although I would not recommend the diet...2 bouts of stomach flu with a residual effect that is acting a lot like IBS...getting old is most certainly an adventure

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you had much success? Orthopaedic surgery appears to have very mixed results and I read recently that shoulder arthroscopy is no better than no arthroscopy. Shocking but surgeons like to…surgeor (I wish that was a word).

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've managed to lose 17 pounds and it is helping. Although I would not recommend the diet...2 bouts of stomach flu with a residual effect that is acting a lot like IBS...getting old is most certainly an adventure
That’s quite and achievement…well done. Knees are amazing structures…

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Basically the diet is cut sugar and simple carbohydrates. Problem is there is weight loss involved which I can't afford to do. Caught between a rock and a hard spot...Old age is not for the faint of heart. :)

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Basically the diet is cut sugar and simple carbohydrates. Problem is there is weight loss involved which I can't afford to do. Caught between a rock and a hard spot...Old age is not for the faint of heart. :)

I can afford to lose more.... and the way this possible IBS is going, it is likely I will.

And you're right, old age is not for the faint of heart...or wimps

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know someone who is following this type of rêgime for his knee cartilage as he has heard, via Youtube, that excessive insulin is the big factor in causing systemic inflammation. It’s a very difficult diet to follow, however. His subsequent weight loss has really helped his pain.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I know someone who is following this type of rêgime for his knee cartilage as he has heard, via Youtube, that excessive insulin is the big factor in causing systemic inflammation. It’s a very difficult diet to follow, however. His subsequent weight loss has really helped his pain.

Salt and sugar are both inflammatory, especially if you, like me, have arthritis. You can get away with a little, but to much can be temporarily crippling

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you had much success? Orthopaedic surgery appears to have very mixed results and I read recently that shoulder arthroscopy is no better than no arthroscopy. Shocking but surgeons like to…surgeor (I wish that was a word).
I have had some success with a clean diet and my first 36 hour fast in years. It did wonders for the inflammation/pain, which is a huge part of the healing process. I can't afford to lose anymore weight, which presents a problem. It is a very challenging balancing act.
I have been earthing/grounding....."google it"......also, with some success...

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Salt and sugar are both inflammatory, especially if you, like me, have arthritis. You can get away with a little, but to much can be temporarily crippling

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

My Orthopedic Doc told me about arthritis and inflammation from an overabundance of sugar and salt after I spent an afternoon not being able to walk normally. For some reason that day I binged on potato chips, which I never do and then someone brought in candy from India that was basically a soft sugar cube, and I don't eat much sugar. Also at it just to be polite that day. By that afternoon, my hips were not working

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
"A chance to cut is a chance to cure."

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Orthopedic Doc told me about arthritis and inflammation from an overabundance of sugar and salt after I spent an afternoon not being able to walk normally. For some reason that day I binged on potato chips, which I never do and then someone brought in candy from India that was basically a soft sugar cube, and I don't eat much sugar. Also at it just to be polite that day. By that afternoon, my hips were not working
Your experience is clear very significant, but be aware that orthopaedic surgeons are rarely scientists or even up-to-date with the latest research.

This is a peer-reviewed meta-analysis which means it’s an analysis from many other pee-reviewed science articles to draw an overall conclusion. ‘Peer review’ means carefully chosen scientific rivals scrutinise your work and try their best to criticise your paper so the publisher potentially asks you to redo the research to a better standard if it’s found wanting, or at worst, refuse to publish it. If these experts in the field cannot kick holes in the work, it’s considered robust and of publishable quality.

Which would you trust?🤷🏽‍♂️

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Your experience is clear very significant, but be aware that orthopaedic surgeons are rarely scientists or even up-to-date with the latest research.

This is a peer-reviewed meta-analysis which means it’s an analysis from many other pee-reviewed science articles to draw an overall conclusion. ‘Peer review’ means carefully chosen scientific rivals scrutinise your work and try their best to criticise your paper so the publisher potentially asks you to redo the research to a better standard if it’s found wanting, or at worst, refuse to publish it. If these experts in the field cannot kick holes in the work, it’s considered robust and of publishable quality.

Which would you trust?🤷🏽‍♂️

Thanks for the unnecessary definition of peer review. As for who do I trust, the guy doing the medical procedure on the front lines. and so far, he was right.

Latest Discussions