The Hook Kick

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm interested to know if you guys have the hook kick in your systems. I will try to explain what ours is like, first off our stance is both feet are equal not one in front of the other.
Our hook kick is close range and goes straight from the stance to the target using our shin.
The target areas are all round the thigh, outer thigh , inner thigh, back and front and rib cage if we have control of their arm. We generate power by pivoting the whole body, the foot on the ground pivots when the shin makes impact.
The kick is used as a finishing technique. For example some one does a round house punch we step in with dai sau and punch, then latch the opponents arm which drags them into the hook kick or pak sau and punch against a guard then latch and hook kick.
Outsiders seem to think because the kick doesn't travel very far it hasn't got any power but after you tell them to hold the pad they change their attitude.
From holding the pad for senior instructors i found that it makes a very dull thud and the force travels down thru your leg and down into the floor. Does anybody else do this kick?

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
In Cuong Nhu we call it a Roundhouse kick (or Round kick for short).

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm interested to know if you guys have the hook kick in your systems. I will try to explain what ours is like, first off our stance is both feet are equal not one in front of the other.
Our hook kick is close range and goes straight from the stance to the target using our shin.
The target areas are all round the thigh, outer thigh , inner thigh, back and front and rib cage if we have control of their arm. We generate power by pivoting the whole body, the foot on the ground pivots when the shin makes impact.
The kick is used as a finishing technique. For example some one does a round house punch we step in with dai sau and punch, then latch the opponents arm which drags them into the hook kick or pak sau and punch against a guard then latch and hook kick.
Outsiders seem to think because the kick doesn't travel very far it hasn't got any power but after you tell them to hold the pad they change their attitude.
From holding the pad for senior instructors i found that it makes a very dull thud and the force travels down thru your leg and down into the floor. Does anybody else do this kick?

Awesome!
I once showed a student (while she held the kicking pad) a karate roundhouse, followed up with Hook Kick. She said, " their both as strong. But why would you want to do a roundhouse that way?"

I put my fingers to my lips and said, "to be sneaky."
That it doesn't telegraph, and it's usually done at a much closer range than a traditional roundhouse, and that it was just as powerful even though you could NOT "see" the power.

And beautifully combined with opportunity, you could definately latch, punch, hook kick, as you step into the opponent when they execute their FIRST strike. Taking away opportunity for him to strike again.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm interested to know if you guys have the hook kick in your systems. I will try to explain what ours is like, first off our stance is both feet are equal not one in front of the other. Our hook kick is close range and goes straight from the stance to the target using our shin. The target areas are all round the thigh, outer thigh , inner thigh, back and front and rib cage if we have control of their arm. We generate power by pivoting the whole body, the foot on the ground pivots when the shin makes impact...

No, we don't have this kind of a kick in traditional WT. But, it is also one of my favorites anyway. I picked it up from my Escrima training...I just call it my "bastard round-kick". I deliver it with a sharp snap of the knee and hip, and strike with the shin...sort of like a hard, cutting "gaun-sau", except using my leg. It works from either a "character two" or "advancing" stance and seems totally consistent with Wing Chun/Tsun theory. It also works better than the WT thrusting kicks in an Escrima context.

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
One of my favorite techniques in past times was to slightly turn away from my opponent,and to bring my heel up into the stomach or the solar plexus with a hook.Very hard to block or see this one coming.As far as the Wing Tsun hook, this is the only one I am familiar with,step in,hook the calf push down,while executing a hand or horizontal/diagonal elbow technique to the head.

OP
mook jong man

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Awesome!
I once showed a student (while she held the kicking pad) a karate roundhouse, followed up with Hook Kick. She said, " their both as strong. But why would you want to do a roundhouse that way?"

I put my fingers to my lips and said, "to be sneaky."
That it doesn't telegraph, and it's usually done at a much closer range than a traditional roundhouse, and that it was just as powerful even though you could NOT "see" the power.

And beautifully combined with opportunity, you could definately latch, punch, hook kick, as you step into the opponent when they execute their FIRST strike. Taking away opportunity for him to strike again.
Yeah its got power alright, years ago one of our instructors at the academy broke some guys femur that tried to rob him at an automatic teller machine with a knife here in Sydney.
He reckoned the sound of the guy's bone breaking sounded like a gunshot going off.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One of my favorite techniques in past times was to slightly turn away from my opponent,and to bring my heel up into the stomach or the solar plexus with a hook.Very hard to block or see this one coming.As far as the Wing Tsun hook, this is the only one I am familiar with,step in,hook the calf push down,while executing a hand or horizontal/diagonal elbow technique to the head.

That "turn-away and sucker-'em in with an upward hooking heel is definintely not WT. I picked up something like that in Kenpo back in the 70's. Devious. Probably useful in a self defense situation, especially if you are trying to get away... But it does leave you turned away from your opponent and exposed to a good WC/WT attack. Still, it works on my son (he's nine).

The second move you describe sounds a lot like the "huen-bo" or "kau-bo" from biu tze. Dynamite stuff. There's more in the dummy set.

As far as what Si-Je calls a "hook kick" ...which I think is like what I call a "bastard round-kick", check out how Rene Latosa uses it in his videos (if you've got 'em) or at the upcoming semininar (that I will br unable to attend *&%#%*!!!) Oh well, at least you can tell me about it, Joe.

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey Mr Geezer! Definitely not a WT technique! Lessons from the past (Tae Kwon Do) I believe definitely add value to anyone's art. Yeah, I'm pretty excited about the seminar Sifu Emin,Sifu Michael Casey,some cats from New York,and Atlanta will all be attending.I currently work two jobs,so It will definitely be an endurance thing for me that weekend.The last seminar I trained at was for at least six hours with a couple of breathers,man I was spent.....I'll keep you posted.oh the nine year old son thing,man you crack me up (sitting here LMAO!)

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hey Mr Geezer! Definitely not a WT technique! Lessons from the past (Tae Kwon Do) I believe definitely add value to anyone's art. Yeah, I'm pretty excited about the seminar Sifu Emin,Sifu Michael Casey,some cats from New York,and Atlanta will all be attending.I currently work two jobs,so It will definitely be an endurance thing for me that weekend.The last seminar I trained at was for at least six hours with a couple of breathers,man I was spent.....I'll keep you posted.oh the nine year old son thing,man you crack me up (sitting here LMAO!)

Well Joe, I was totally wrong about the "hook-kick" thingie. I got out a copy of Wing Chun Kung-Fu by Sifu Jim Fung and Karen Armstrong and what Sifu Fung labels a "hook-kick" looks like what we WT folks call "Bong Gurk"...you know how the foot kinda hooks around under the opponent's kicking leg when you apply a bong gurk? That's the deal. Also, the "dai-sau" looks like a high, extended fook-sau in WT (not the hook-wristed "bridge-on arm" of chi-sau, but as Si-Je described, more like an extended "salute" but not all the way to "sieg heil" (My apologies to Master Kernspecht). The energy may be different (I've never met two practioners of any lineage that used energy exactly the same, anyway) but it sure looks familiar. And, if it works, by damn, USE IT!

Latest Discussions