The GOLDEN SCORE: A Necesssary Evil?

P

Patrick Skerry

Another concept borrowed from sports and applied to the martial arts is The Golden Score, otherwise known as sudden death overtime.

If a tie or no points is achieved during a four minute judo match, a second match of five minutes immediately begins and the first score will win, whether by koka, yuko, shido, or ippon. But will the first penalty decide the match too?

Prior to the Golden Score, the judges would raise the flags but the decision was not always unanimous. The Golden Score takes the decision from out of the hands of the judges, but it doesn't encourage good judo, since the lowest score, or penalty, wins.

The Golden Score is meant to encourage attacking judo, but attacking judo is sloppy judo, so the question: is the Golden Score a necessary evil?

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Okay, new Idea..DRINKING GAME
1 Drink for "Kano"
1 Drink for "Blue Gi"
1 Drink for listing an html link
1 Drink if we are informed we are "wrong"
1 Drink for "Sloppy Judo"

Let's get good and drunk!

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Patrick Skerry said:
Another concept borrowed from sports and applied to the martial arts is The Golden Score, otherwise known as sudden death overtime.

If a tie or no points is achieved during a four minute judo match, a second match of five minutes immediately begins and the first score will win, whether by koka, yuko, shido, or ippon. But will the first penalty decide the match too?

Prior to the Golden Score, the judges would raise the flags but the decision was not always unanimous. The Golden Score takes the decision from out of the hands of the judges, but it doesn't encourage good judo, since the lowest score, or penalty, wins.

The Golden Score is meant to encourage attacking judo, but attacking judo is sloppy judo, so the question: is the Golden Score a necessary evil?
Well I dont' see it as an evil, and from a sporting standpoint it is exellent way to finish a match. And any judo can be good judo :)

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hollywood1340 said:
1 Drink for "Kano"
1 Drink for "Blue Gi"

i'm sorry...this game is too dangerous...we'd all be dead from alcohol poisoning long before we finished going through the posts...

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
1 Drink for "Kano"
1 Drink for "Blue Gi"

:cheers:
:drinkbeer :drinkbeer :drinkbeer :drinkbeer :drinkbeer

:burp:
:barf:

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

Hollywood1340 said:
Well I dont' see it as an evil, and from a sporting standpoint it is exellent way to finish a match. And any judo can be good judo :)
I agree as far as sports are concerned that any form of 'sudden death overtime' is an excellent and exciting way to finish a match. But as you see, judo is being re-engineered as a sport, the IJF contest rules have been purposely manipulated to encourage 'attacking' judo (which is an oxymoron) to attract hordes of ticket buying (and beer swilling) spectators.

The newly devised 1997 IJF rules penalize defensive judo. The four minute matches are designed to encourage continuous action for the sole purpose of spectator entertainment. And finally, the 'Golden Score' awards victory to the first point (or penalty), from koka to ippon. This will only encourage sloppy judo.

I also agree with you that "...any judo can be good judo." only as long as its judo, and not a mixture of Sambo, wrestling, and BJJ stuff, and calling it judo.

So the 'Golden Score' does have its good qualities, but it will promote awful judo.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
also have to drink for bringing up 1997 IJF rules...

Patrick Skerry said:
I agree as far as sports are concerned that any form of 'sudden death overtime' is an excellent and exciting way to finish a match. But as you see, judo is being re-engineered as a sport, the IJF contest rules have been purposely manipulated to encourage 'attacking' judo (which is an oxymoron) to attract hordes of ticket buying (and beer swilling) spectators.

The newly devised 1997 IJF rules penalize defensive judo. The four minute matches are designed to encourage continuous action for the sole purpose of spectator entertainment. And finally, the 'Golden Score' awards victory to the first point (or penalty), from koka to ippon. This will only encourage sloppy judo.

I also agree with you that "...any judo can be good judo." only as long as its judo, and not a mixture of Sambo, wrestling, and BJJ stuff, and calling it judo.

So the 'Golden Score' does have its good qualities, but it will promote awful judo.
Drink up!

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

Hollywood1340 said:
Oh darn, no drinks. Wait, I think I can take one for being "Wrong". Cheers!
Just to be briefly 'off topic' what is your opinion of the 'repechage' in judo plus the Golden Score?

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Patrick Skerry said:
Just to be briefly 'off topic' what is your opinion of the 'repechage' in judo plus the Golden Score?

Well it did I belive give us the Bronze for Jimmy Pedro. Today the year is 2004 and if the higher ups want judo to be played like this, I'll abide by it.

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

Hollywood1340 said:
Well it did I belive give us the Bronze for Jimmy Pedro. Today the year is 2004 and if the higher ups want judo to be played like this, I'll abide by it.
But the 1997 IJF change in judo contest rules are what is being used today in 2004, rule changes which a lot of judo people don't agree with, like people who represent the Kodokan and the All Japan Judo Association.

Also, I am not aware of any vote or discussion about these changes being put out to all practicing judoka.

I was recently in e-mail contact with a Mr. Ohlenberg of the Encino Judo Club and he said that the IJF contest rules only really have an impact on higher level major tournaments. The majority of local and regional tournaments are mostly unaffected by the IJF indescretion. Yet, I have seen first hand here in the Boston area, total adherence to the IJF rule changes at the local and regional level. Tomorrow, Saturday, I will be attending a local shiai (acting shimpan), but hesitate to be controversial for the sake of the kyu grades.

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Patrick Skerry said:
But the 1997 IJF change in judo contest rules are what is being used today in 2004, rule changes which a lot of judo people don't agree with, like people who represent the Kodokan and the All Japan Judo Association.

Also, I am not aware of any vote or discussion about these changes being put out to all practicing judoka.

I was recently in e-mail contact with a Mr. Ohlenberg of the Encino Judo Club and he said that the IJF contest rules only really have an impact on higher level major tournaments. The majority of local and regional tournaments are mostly unaffected by the IJF indescretion. Yet, I have seen first hand here in the Boston area, total adherence to the IJF rule changes at the local and regional level. Tomorrow, Saturday, I will be attending a local shiai (acting shimpan), but hesitate to be controversial for the sake of the kyu grades.

Um..judo is NOT a democracy, they don't NEED to send out changes to all of us judoka. *shakes head* Are you really THAT important?

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

Hollywood1340 said:
Um..judo is NOT a democracy, they don't NEED to send out changes to all of us judoka. *shakes head* Are you really THAT important?
Its not about me. It's about judo.

And again I agree with you that judo is not a democracy - but who is in charge?

Is it the IJF? Is it the IOC? Is it the Kodokan? Is it the AJJF? Is it the USJA? Is it the USJF? Is it the USJI? Is it JudoAmerica? They all think they are in charge of determining judo's future!

I am simply requesting clarification.

The implementation of the Golden Score was done by only one, not all, of these governing bodies.

To keep this thread on topic, the Golden Score is a necessary evil only if you are willing to see judo become a sport.

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
And that's what Judo is. Now. Not then, not when it started, now. Think it'll just stop, various people will relinquish power and it'll be all hunky dory as you say Kano meant? You're tilting at windmills. But tilt away!

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

Hollywood1340 said:
And that's what Judo is. Now. Not then, not when it started, now. Think it'll just stop, various people will relinquish power and it'll be all hunky dory as you say Kano meant? You're tilting at windmills. But tilt away!
So you think the Golden Score is tilting at windmills? There is nothing Quixotic about the Golden Score, it is real and being practiced as we type. Yet, I am among the opinions that the Golden Score will only encourage Godan judo (as Dr. Kano referred to poor judo practice).

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i still want to know where kano was critical of Kyuzo Mifune's judo....as you stated in another thread

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

bignick said:
i still want to know where kano was critical of Kyuzo Mifune's judo....as you stated in another thread
I've been googling that question since yesterday, for some reason JudoInfo.com has crashed. I'm filtering through other sources.

Politics being what they are, Dr. Kano criticized Kyuzo Mifune's judo but still promoted him. Dr. Kano, as an old man, reluctantly promoted Mifune sensei to judan. Just as the various schools of ju-jutsu reluctantly accepted judo.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
so what you're saying is that all you have for evidence is, "I said so..."...honestly...if Kano was a man of such high ideals and a genius as you refer to him...there's no way he would've promoted a bad judoka

OP
P

Patrick Skerry

bignick said:
so what you're saying is that all you have for evidence is, "I said so..."...honestly...if Kano was a man of such high ideals and a genius as you refer to him...there's no way he would've promoted a bad judoka
What makes you think Mifune sensei was a bad judoka?