The fear factor

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Mother nature gives us the gift of FEAR, along with the mechanism to deal with it - the FLINCH. We hunch up, elbows drops and squeezed in to protect our flanks, arms and hands shoots up to protect the throat, face and head when threaten.

In an non weapon confrontation, what we fear the most ( I know I'm) is an attack directed to our throat, face, and fingers to the eyes. So how can we possibly minimize this fear factor while still able to be cool/level headed enough to deal with the threat? Training, training and more training. Since there are multitude of ways you can carry out "head hunting", an straight punch, jab or finger thrust to the face is fast and not easily intercepted, thus used as the base of our training.

Training routine goes some thing like this: you = A, partner = B.

B steps in with an right punch within a few inches to the left side of A's face. From the normal relaxed WC forward hand positions, A intercepts B's punch around the wrist area with the back of his left hand (outside gate) while sticking/riding and guiding it pass his face and stop the hand at the left ear, letting the punch slide by. Distance of the punch to the side of the face will need to be reduced closer and closer, faster and with more intent and power as training progress. The guiding motion of the hand is like wiping the sweat from your brow, the goal of this exercise is to get comfortable enough and accustom to having an punch thrown straight at you without the flinching reaction, practice makes perfect (almost). We want to get to the point that your intercepting hand is the only thing separates the fist and your face, with the palm touching the face and ear. Of course you'll need to give your right hand (inside gate) equal time to B's right punch, using some thing resembles an modified wu/pak ... and nooo, not THAT wu sao Mo used to stop Larry's eye poke with.:hmm: Mirror training with the opposite side and then reverse the training attacking role.

What had described is but an very basic starter routine and is not all inclusive (I'm sure many of you already has/had some thing similar), you can do a slight pivot/facing of you stance or just the upper body, you can combine that with a small forward step, or you can flavor it any way you like to suit your taste.

So what is in YOUR wallet? Like to hear what other training methods you guys have/had used to address this issue ... don't all jump in at once now ...

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm with you...one of the biggest things to overcome as a WC practitioner is flinching when fists are coming at you a mile a minute.
My solution is about as simple as it gets.
Something we do from time to time, I will have student A come in and throw rapid punches to Student B's face. Very fast and powerful and very close. Student B is allowed to only stand there with a stoic look on his face and stare down the punch.
I think this helps to desensitize the student and get him used to that stimulus.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think a lot of the different techniques versus chain punching exercises go along way to reducing the flinch , as in Tan/Bong vs chain punch , Lap sau versus chain punch etc.

We also like to do a lot of very close in 4 , 6 and 8 corner deflection work to deal with random angles and trajectories of punches sometimes this is done in a sequence , sometimes it is random , but the keyword is repetition.

The exercise Yak Sao describes , we do that sometimes as well.
But lately the one I have been doing is one student puts on head gear and mouthguard and small bag gloves or mma style gloves.
The other student just has standard boxing gloves on.
The student with the boxing gloves on initiates the drill by throwing a random punch from about a step away , the Wing Chun guy intercepts the attack and simultaneously hits the chest of the other guy .

The Wing Chun guy continuously chain punches the other guys chest with heavy contact and sticks to him like glue , the boxing gloves guy fires off random punches to the head and gut of the Wing Chun guy making contact as he moves around trying to evade the Wing Chun guy.
The Wing Chun guy must stay in punching range , firing off his chain punches at the other guys chest where ever he goes.

The Wing Chun guy will try and deflect where possible , but at this close range and with head gear on it is almost impossible as the head gear takes away peripheral vision which is what is needed to react to movement.

So it really becomes not so much a reflex exercise , but an exercise in mental toughness and conditioning .
The Wing Chun guy is receiving multiple hooks to the head and gut punches but must still keep driving forward chain punching his partners chest.

It's not for everyone , some people will not like the level of contact , but my students say it teaches them to be aggressive and to keep moving forward and striking their opponent no matter what hits they themselves are receiving.

It is not something you want to be doing everyday , taking trauma to the brain , but every once in a while is ok.
The instructor must closely supervise the drill though , as some people under the effect of adrenaline once they take a few hits will immediately start chain punching their partners throat and head , you must be careful to watch out for that .

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score
Geoff Thompson wrote a great book on FEAR that I recommend highly, nearly had me in tears.

Latest Discussions