The Benefits Of MMA

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been a fan of the UFC since the beginning! I have quite a collection of MMA fights that I enjoy watching. I enjoy having people over for a PPV event. Even though we're not there live, everyone really gets into it.

For the MMA fans that we have out here, what benefits of MMA have you added into your training? Has watching MMA sparked you to train in BJJ? Has it given you a new outlook on your current training? These are the types of things I'm looking for!:ultracool

For myself, it sparked me to get some BJJ training. IMHO, the ground is a very important aspect to look at, and it amazes me, how some can say that they will never be taken down or end up on the ground. At the least, have some know-how to get back to your feet.

Its made me take another look at aliveness. Nobody stands there like a statue, so why train to defend against someone who does?

I've also made some adjustments to my strikes and kicks.

So...lets here it...what has it done for you? :)

Mike

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
When I was a kid just taking traditional karate I often wrestled in the yard with my freinds. We had 0 ground defense training in karate mind you we did emphasize rolls and breakfalls a lot or to be in a defensive position when the opponent is taken down.

Wrestling with my freinds, most of the actual action and effort was in the ground fighting. Until I found out about UFC, groundfighting wasn't even a concept to me even though that's exactly what most of the wrestling with my freinds consisted of. So I began training with my freinds and trying some of the set-ups, holds and orthodox positions of jodo and BJJ and began adding technique to my wrestling. I always loved boxing. My dad's always been a huge fan of bruce. I always knew you needed to be well rounded. UFC is my biggest reason for researching combat sambo too.
Changed my whole perspective on the different facets of fighting available. I did find it boring to watch at first because the good action happens too fast and it's too scrappity-bap to really see what's going on sometimes. I could definitely see that it was far more like a real fight. I also started on the no gouging, no biting, everything else goes UFC rules.
MMA is almost always a good time. I hope with the support of it's fans we can evolve it more. It just seems that most fighters fight very similar and I'd like to see more variety. I think it (or something like it) is worthy of olympic consideration.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've done some BJJ and some of the Boxing/Thai type standup that they commonly use in MMA.

The biggest benefits I see with the MMA type training is the conditioning and the level of resistance that you get from your training partner. I don't feel that competition-type MMA training is the absolute best, I do however feel that it is a good framework on which to build.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Great replies! I'm sure with all of the members we have here, there must be others that were influenced by MMA.

When I was a kid just taking traditional karate I often wrestled in the yard with my freinds. We had 0 ground defense training in karate mind you we did emphasize rolls and breakfalls a lot or to be in a defensive position when the opponent is taken down.

Wrestling with my freinds, most of the actual action and effort was in the ground fighting. Until I found out about UFC, groundfighting wasn't even a concept to me even though that's exactly what most of the wrestling with my freinds consisted of. So I began training with my freinds and trying some of the set-ups, holds and orthodox positions of jodo and BJJ and began adding technique to my wrestling. I always loved boxing. My dad's always been a huge fan of bruce. I always knew you needed to be well rounded. UFC is my biggest reason for researching combat sambo too.
Changed my whole perspective on the different facets of fighting available. I did find it boring to watch at first because the good action happens too fast and it's too scrappity-bap to really see what's going on sometimes. I could definitely see that it was far more like a real fight. I also started on the no gouging, no biting, everything else goes UFC rules.
MMA is almost always a good time. I hope with the support of it's fans we can evolve it more. It just seems that most fighters fight very similar and I'd like to see more variety. I think it (or something like it) is worthy of olympic consideration.

Cool!! I was pretty much the same way. My first grappling inst. got me in the mount position and told me to escape. Needless to say, I was at a loss as to what to do. I knew then, that it was time I expand my training, and start getting some ground knowledge.

I've done some BJJ and some of the Boxing/Thai type standup that they commonly use in MMA.

The biggest benefits I see with the MMA type training is the conditioning and the level of resistance that you get from your training partner. I don't feel that competition-type MMA training is the absolute best, I do however feel that it is a good framework on which to build.

Agreed!! The conditioning that these guys go thru is amazing!! While rolling for a period of time is great endurance, gives a good challenge, etc., I'd say that taking the basics and building on them is a great start. Nothing wrong with learning locks, chokes, etc., but if you find yourself on the ground in a real situation, the knowledge of getting back to your feet, some basic ground defense, etc., is key IMO.

Mike

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Shows you how sometimes size does count and sometimes it doesn't.

Interestingly enough, the person in question is 5'3. I'm 5'10. Needless to say, no matter how hard I tried to remove myself from that position, I felt like I was taking 1 step forward and 10 steps back. I'm certainly no master grappler, but I'm a heck of alot better than I was back then and I credit that to the people who've I've worked with that come from a grappling background. :)

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone else?? :)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The conditioning training for a grappler whether BJJ, Wrestling, MMA, etc. is just phenomenal. It truly is one of the strengths in any good grappler's aresenal. Add to the fact that your typical MMA practitioner also has a Muay Thai and boxing background and you have a well rounded, very well conditioned combative sport practitioner. The mindset may be geared towards a one on one ring fight but they truly are ready to go.

bigfootsquatch

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The conditioning trainer for a grappler whether BJJ, Wrestling, MMA, etc. is just phenomenal. It truly is one of the strengths in any good grappler's aresenal. Add to the fact that your typical MMA practitioner also has a Muay Thai and boxing background and you have a well rounded, very well conditioned combative sport practitioner. The mindset may be geared towards a one on one ring fight but they truly are ready to go.

I agree, the fundamental problem with most traditional martial arts if that just do not train properly. Hard styles like karate and tae kwon do have become so watered down to suit everyone's "needs" that it is now just a bunch of kicks and punches for point competition! Mixed Martial arts are very street effective in my opinion, those guys may not know finger locks, "death point" strikes, and other such, but hell they can take and give the punishment better than most traditional martial artists!

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I thought that we could change the direction of this thread, ever so slightly. We've heard from folks that have had a positive change in material from MMA. I'd like to hear from others that have not added anything in. What was the reasoning that you opted not to?

Mike

Darth F.Takeda

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I am so surprised that many martial artist ignored ground fighting untill the UFC and the Gracie's. I'm not trying to be insulting, but for those who fit that catagory, I want to say "Ever been in a fight? Not in the Dojo, but in the street, a party, whereever?

Beside coming from an area that held 6 week wrestling clinincs to 4th graders and up, (So I did it in 4th, 5th and 6th grades.) and watching pro wrestling as a kid (yes not real, but some basics where picked up and adapted, by muyself and others) enough of the fights I have been in went to the ground.
In my old neighborhood, the common train of thought, was if you end up fighting a "Karate" guy, charge him, get him on the ground and beat on him. ( I was one of those Kartae guys then.)
Even Black Belt mag would have articles on Smabo, Judo grappling, Pancration and Mongolian wrestling, so I always considerd grappling a part of combat, one the ranges, though not my favorite, as I was a kick, elbo , knee and headbutt kind of guy, (but rear nakid chokes saved my butt a few times back then.
All the first few UFC's did for me was make me say " They have some real ****** Karate Kung Fu guys out there, who obviously never fought a wrestler.
Now buy the late 90's MMA had evolved and my respect and admiration for it had grown.
I have picked up things from it, it inspires me to train when I see it, and many of the training methods have been adopted by many of us in our Dojo.
It is the closest to the street that a combat sport can consitantly get.
Minus guns, knives, bottles, multiples, and dirty pool , along with deceptions and set ups ( "Hey man, you got the time?" WHACK!)
It is reinvented Pancration and a great show.

Latest Discussions