The anatomy of a *wallhanger* katana

OP
S

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey Kacey...you may want to check out Knives R Us. Their customer service is pretty good. They sell low to mid-end production katana (mainly Hanwei and Cold Steel), amongst many other bladed weaponry. If you're looking for a display only katana (make sure you emphasize to the gift recipient that this sword is only for decoration!), give United Cutlery a try. Their display katana look a bit nice and are pretty inexpensive (under $100). Happy hunting!

OP
S

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
Calm Intention said:
I'll just say(after the worry on the other thread), that my swords all have the correct width of tang- even wider than the depiction I've seen displayed above.

Just thinking about what kind of swords you're talking about. Do they vaguely resemble either of the attached pictures? Because neither of those models handle remotely like a real katana. I've owned a set of those "steak knife-like" katana, and they handle more like oversized knives. And the cord wrapping on the handle of the other full-tang sword (as pictured) tend to get undone after some use.

Attachments

• $Full tang ninja SLO.jpg
    $Full tang ninja SLO.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 676

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey, I have both of those... well the one on the right is slightly different, but similar. I use them as costume props and in films.

The one on the left is the sword I carried as "Chainmail Bob" in a post-apocalyptic retelling of "Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Comes"...

And I would say from experience, Thats about all they are good for, IMO.

OP
S

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
Hey, I have both of those... well the one on the right is slightly different, but similar. I use them as costume props and in films.

The one on the left is the sword I carried as "Chainmail Bob" in a post-apocalyptic retelling of "Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Comes"...

And I would say from experience, Thats about all they are good for, IMO.

Exactly. Display swords should be used for DISPLAY only.

Check out the reviews for the cord-wrapped "full tang" sword on Swords Online. Quite a few broken swords: http://www.weaponmasters.com/index.html?ID=0ceb7a4bec1d406cc29ebc6f7f34a55c&FDX=&FMAX=&SORT=&ITEM=WM-1799&TTAB=CUSTOMER_REVIEWS

Edited to add: My mistake. Okay...the customers may have been happy, but many of them still wound up with a broken sword!

FistOfBuddha

White Belt
Reaction score
Sorry to jump in late, but I wanted to reiterate what Mr. Hubbard stated about cheap wallhangers falling apart. I bought a set from a large sword seller on Ebay, and while they looked good, they were beyond cheaply made. One of the swords fell from its display stand (sitting on top of a bookshelf) to the floor...a drop of perhaps 5 feet at most, and the sword literally broke in half. It doesn't take much to imagine the danger of someone purchasing such wallhangers and attempted to duel with them.

OP
S

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
whitetiger2001 said:
How can I tell if my swords have regular tangs instead of the rat tail version without dismantling it?

For starters, if your swords has a 440 or 420 stainless steel mark on the blade, it isn't going to be "functional" by any stretch. There is at least one swordsmith who *does* use stainless steel for sword blades, but his stuff is also VERY expensive - at least several thousand dollars for one of his swords.

The other thing to consider that just because a sword has a full tang, it does NOT mean it is a *functional* sword. Read the "Is my sword real" thread for more information. Reputable swordmakers do not use "buzz words" like "combat ready", "battle ready", etc. Watch out for those phrases or any hyperboles endorsing a sword. I would stick with reputable production sword companies and makers. These are a few examples, and not an exhaustive list by any stretch:

Low-end: Windlass, MRL, some Hanwei/Paul Chen, some Cold Steel. Most of Windlass and MRL swords come unsharpened. Quality control is sometimes an issue. You can get a good quality inexpensive sword, or a total lemon. I recommend going through a sword dealer with a solid return policy.

Mid-level would be something along the lines of Angus Trim (semi-production European swords), Last Legend katana, the more expensive Hanwei katana (e.g., their folded blades), and some other companies I can't think of at the moment.

High-level production/semi-production would be Bugei, Liveblade, Citadel for katana.

Keep in mind that good quality Japanese katana cost considerably more than most European swords, because the blade forging process and sword fittings are more complicated. Gus Trim and Albion are pretty good bang for the buck, as far as European swords go.

I hope this helps a little.

Latest Discussions