Testing Qualifiactions

bktourer1

White Belt
Reaction score
Due to some personal issues, our school's Grand Master (6th Dan) is gone from our school and his wife has taken over. She and another instructor have 3rd, and one instructor has supposidly a 5th. Are these instructors
qualified to test students to 2nd and other lower belts. The confusion is causing turmoil in our school as parents/children are looking to finding another school

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It depends on the requirements of your organization; however, in general, 4th Dan and above are allowed to test students up to half their own rank (so 4th could test people up to 2nd, 6th could test up to 3rd, etc.), or up to 2 Dan ranks below their own rank (so 3rd could test up to 1st, 4th could test up to 2nd, etc.). Some organizations will allow 2nd or 3rd Dans to test up to 1st gup (mine does). Sorry to not give you a straight answer, but without more information about your organization, the instructors' qualifications/certifications (are they certified instructors as well as holding a particular rank?), there's really no way to give you a definitive answer.

I will say that I don't know what the 6th Dan told the students - but you can always find an instructor from outside the class but within the organization to test/promote students; while I can understand confusion, this should not be causing students to leave class, especially in the short term.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Due to some personal issues, our school's Grand Master (6th Dan) is gone from our school and his wife has taken over. She and another instructor have 3rd, and one instructor has supposidly a 5th. Are these instructors
qualified to test students to 2nd and other lower belts. The confusion is causing turmoil in our school as parents/children are looking to finding another school

Who cares about their qualifications. So long as they can teach you to fight well.

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Due to some personal issues, our school's Grand Master (6th Dan) is gone from our school

First off, I don't know if this is a slip up on your part, but it is not common that a 6th Dan would be titled as a "Grand Master." If this is the school owner, or chief instructor, then they might be properly awarded the title of "Master" or "Master Instructor."

his wife has taken over. She and another instructor have 3rd

I am 6th Dan and my wife is a 3rd Dan. If I had to leave teaching for some reason, she is certified and qualified to take over. Any certified instructor that I put in charge of my school, and my classes holds the same authority that I do when I am not there. They would not be allowed to teach my students if they were not qualified. Trust and respect in me, means trust and respect in whomever I leave in charge.

one instructor has supposidly a 5th. Are these instructors qualified to test students to 2nd and other lower belts.

My first question here is why are the "5th" Dan's credentials suspect to you? What brings this into question? Was this person a 5th Dan under your 6th Dan Master? Does this 5th Dan have any certification that you can view to confirm their rank? If you don't have the answer, and are uncomfortable with the instruction, then ask the school owner (or his wife). Who is in charge of the school now - - the 3rd Dan wife or the questionable 5th Dan? Does the authority to teach, test, and promote stop with the 3rd Dan, the 5th Dan, the 6th Dan Master, or a higher chain of command? Who authorizes this 5th Dan to teach, and why are you questioning their decision? Do you not trust them either? I am asking the tough questions, because these are the questions that need to be answered in your own mind.

The qualifications of any Black Belt to teach in the first place comes from their instructor. The qualifications to "test" or "promote" students depends on any affiliation with a larger organization. You must first understand the difference between an authorized, certified instructor conducting a "test," and a duly authorized Taekwondo governing body issuing a certificate of "promotion."

If the school is not connected with any larger organization, then your certificates are "school certificates" rather than an organizational certificate. The difference being that an independent instructor has no one to answer to, and can issue certificates based on any qualifications they choose. A larger organization would probably issue a nicer looking certificate than a "PC" piece of paper, and would set standards that the instructor must follow. If the 6th Dan steps down, for whatever reason, an organization would require that replacement instructors be properly trained, certified, and test requirements would still have to maintain a certain standard.

If your school is able to offer Kukkiwon certification, then they are most likely qualified to conduct their own tests, and promote their own students to one rank below the Chief Instructor's rank. Being part of a larger organization helps to ensure that these standards are maintained, but access to the Kukkiwon is not granted to novice instructors.

The confusion is causing turmoil in our school as parents/children are looking to finding another school

This sounds to me like the school owner is not keeping a grip on what is happening in their school. Announcements, and written notices should explain the transition, who is in charge, and what is the current authority and procedure, and requirements for rank promotions. Students and parents should not be gossiping, and jumping ship like rats unless there is verifiable reason believe that the instructors are doing something wrong. Talking among yourselves and trying to solve the "confusion" without the facts is just wrong.

You have a right to know these things. Go to whomever is currently in charge of the school and politely ask for the answers to the above questions. Request that all students and parents receive a written notice of the answers. If you do not receive satisfactory responses, ask further up the chain of command (if there is one). Otherwise, if there is no trust, no respect for who is teaching, and not a clear understanding of rank requirements, something is wrong. Without proper leadership, and satisfactory answers, then you should probably find another school.

I hope this helps you and your daughter, and the others at this school.
If you care to share with us the details of what Taekwondo organization your school is with (if any), this might help to answer your questions better.

CM D.J. Eisenhart

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Which if any TKD organization is your dojang affiliated with? Thanks

Kwan Jang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I agree with pretty much everything Last Fearner mentioned, but feel I should address one point (sorry, slow night). The point about addressing a 6th dan as a "grandmaster"; according to the WTF is actually correct. Now, personally as a 6th dan, you will NEVER hear me use that title, but according to official literature put out by the WTF, this can be done.

In the USA, it is much more common for (WTF) the title "master" to be used at 4th and "grandmaster" used at 8th and above. I have a WTF manual that refers to "master" at 1st-5th and "grandmaster" at 6th and above. This is also addressed on the wikipedia article on TKD for easier referrence.

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
GRAND MASTER, DAMN, at 6th Dan? No one ever tells me nothing. I am a cheap date. Usually if someone calls me Wade and buys me a drink we are good to go. Geeze........................ When I test for my 7th can I be called Mr. Wade? Uh, and do I still get that drink? I'm just checking ya know?

Latest Discussions