Terminology

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Does anyone have a good glossary of terms? Or at least spellings? I mean, some are easy like "redondo" and I think I found 'wittick', but I need the spelling for the full swing through that's pronounced something like "lobtick"??

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Does anyone have a good glossary of terms? Or at least spellings? I mean, some are easy like "redondo" and I think I found 'wittick', but I need the spelling for the full swing through that's pronounced something like "lobtick"??
Try looking into this thread. It is actually a Sticky on top of this Sub-forum.

-Guro Harold

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Funny thing though. I was going to recommend the glossary over on FMA Talk too, but "lobtic" (however you want to spell it) isn't there. And, considering that the terms in the FMA come from a variety of languages and dialects including Tagalog, Spanish, and dozens of regional tongues, I'm beginning to understand why my first instructor preferred English names. He is Filipino-American and his system stresses simplicity and directness. To this end, he limited his use of Filipino terms to a minimum. Enough to give respect to his ancestry but no more. He felt that the point of these arts is to be effective, not a language class.

Ironically, it's the non-filipinos, like myself, who often want to know more Filipino names. Maybe we are missing the whole point? Any thoughts?

Latest Discussions