Tell me about your first day of training..

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let me inform you, you sometimes learn and comprehend more when you are trying to teach it to someone else. When I first started teaching, I would run into a student that did not pick up on things as easily as your standard student, and it was those students that helped me better comprehend what I already thought I fully comprehended. As I struggled to get them to comprehend, I started comprehending more. My teacher knew that would happen, but wanted me to see it for myself. Sometimes you can not be taught, sometimes you have to learn it for yourself.
Everyone I trained with (and some instructors I helped train) improved rather dramatically when they started teaching, even though they were suddenly spending less time actually practicing (because part of that time went to teaching now). We pay attention to more things, and I think most of us start to think differently about the principles as we start to teach.

BigDon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My first training day was a bit embarrassing as i farted doing a kick. The Instructor, "Master" called me a pig.
I never went back to that dojo but it reminded me not to eat baked beans the night before training ;)

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My first training day was a bit embarrassing as i farted doing a kick. The Instructor, "Master" called me a pig.
I never went back to that dojo but it reminded me not to eat baked beans the night before training ;)
You should have insisted that you were in fact being polite by not following through and sh*tting yourself.

nipper219

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My first day of training, I was SUPER NERVOUS; everybody was in uniforms which somehow intimidated me. I just wasn't used to that. Everybody looked so serious; there was actually lots of smiling and laughter. Which then as time went by I wasn't as nervous. My first day we worked on front kicks, inside and outside crescent kicks. As well as a center punch. My first day of training went very well though.

Belkster

White Belt
Reaction score
My first day of training went very well. I was already a bit trained physically, so I didn't get exhausted during the warm-up like some other beginners. Learning the kicking technique was my best part of the training. But also defending against kicks (when we swapped roles with my partner) - really enjoyed it too. All in all, I'm still a beginner, and I've become interested in being in a community that respects martial arts. Hi all :)

Darksoul

Black Belt
Reaction score
Isshin Ryu Karate, 1989 around 9 years old. The school had a smaller room off the main training floor where myself a 2 other newbies were shown some basic moves, mostly to see if we would listen and follow directions. I think we did that for 2 sessions before joining the actual kids class there. Stayed for a year, lost interest. Wish I had stuck with it but I didn't understand that at the time. Guess I had first days with Kuk Sool and 7 Star Mantis but neither one of those lasted long either. One of these days I'll have a brand new first day.

Latest Discussions