Technique I found really effective

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
all a wrist grab does, typically is result in both you and your opponent having one limb out of the fight equation. You either keep fighting with 3 limbs or have what amounts to tug of war.
The difference is if you grab on your opponent's wrist, you can guide his arm away from your attacking path, so when you move in, his arm won't give you any trouble. Your opponent can't do that to you. Your opponent will have no control over when you will release your grip. So the situation is not equal.

The wrist grab is an excellent set up for

- head lock,
- under hook,
- elbow on the face,
- punch on the head,
- kick to the body,

What you are looking for is something further beyond that wrist grip.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here is Tim means setting up that elbow like a boss.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
The difference is if you grab on your opponent's wrist, you can guide his arm away from your attacking path, so when you move in, his arm won't give you any trouble. Your opponent can't do that to you. Your opponent will have no control over when you will release your grip. So the situation is not equal.

The wrist grab is an excellent set up for

- head lock,
- under hook,
- elbow on the face,
- punch on the head,
- kick to the body,

What you are looking for is something further beyond that wrist grip.

I know you are looking for something beyond that, but in my experience, that "beyond" is only possible if you go beyond a simple grab. As I said earlier a simple "grab" works if you are simultaneously doing something else with the other hand, in essence you are performing a trap. You can then follow up with all the techniques you mentioned.

My response was limited only to the idea you can turn a "grab" it into a simple "drag" (his word). If you want to do that, only that, an not have it become a tug of war then you need to turn the "grab" into a "lock" (skill/speed being equal or close to it of course).

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I know you are looking for something beyond that, but in my experience, that "beyond" is only possible if you go beyond a simple grab. As I said earlier a simple "grab" works if you are simultaneously doing something else with the other hand, in essence you are performing a trap. You can then follow up with all the techniques you mentioned.

My response was limited only to the idea you can turn a "grab" it into a simple "drag" (his word). If you want to do that, only that, an not have it become a tug of war then you need to turn the "grab" into a "lock" (skill/speed being equal or close to it of course).

No. It gives you control of a whole side of their body.

It is not just control of their arm. For example with the elbow. If i have your wrist. I can let go and drill you in the head before you can get your hand free to block.

You can't pull the same trick with me because you have to break wrist control which takes a second or so.

There is a difference hand fighting a gumby who is hanging off your arm for something to do. And a guy with some training who is setting you up.

Latest Discussions