Teachnical-Board with a rope around it.

S

speakman

Kinda joking on that title, but wondering....I have seen in movies and 1 of my friends (a JKD Wing Chun friend) people punching a 2 by 4 with a rope tied tightly around it? What is this called? I would worry about my hands getting dead from it, but does anyone else do this?

OP
A

AnimEdge

my friend does this, id ontknwo how often though but he says he does :p he calls it his punching bag so i guess its used liek one of those rice bads, to be be used to strengthin and toughin the hand

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
the name for it is a makiwara...check around...there are a number of threads on the subject

gmunoz

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think Steven Seagal demonstrated it on one of his movies. it was more of a 2X6 though from what I can remember.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have a vertical board 2x4 but it has a thin pad and canvas wrapped around it. Its for punching, rigged with a spring. Like Nick said, makiwara board. We also use one for round kick that has to be hit just right for beginners but we have a rope on it so if we hit it hard the board paddle doesn't go flying. It's also hard to hold. ;) TW

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
makiwara can come in a variety of different styles...if you want padding my instructor recommends just going out and buying a cheap neoprene mouse pad and using that under the wrapping......

otherwise they are wrapped with canvas, leather, rope, etc...

Latest Discussions