Tcjrnm

E

Elizium

How many people have bought a ten chi jin from another dojo to supplement their own notes.

Or... how many are writing their own through experience?

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Use the Japanese version if you can. Pay a Jpaanese foriegn exchange student to translate littel sections for you. If you see something you do not know, seek out an instructor who you know will tell you if he does not know the subject matter and have them teach the missing parts.

OP
E

Elizium

I have the one from Matt Helm and have seen the one from Paul Richardson of the Lincoln dojo that comes complete with kanji.

If I could get hold of a Japanese TCJRNM, I would spend years just trying to translate it myself :) .

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
I am not too sure which one I had, It was given to me. But it's the one the "Brotherhood" uses. I think it may be the Helms one.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok, moron time...

What is a ten chi jin?

I be stupid. :idunno:

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
Ok, moron time...

What is a ten chi jin?

I be stupid. :idunno:

No, you are not stupid.

The Ten Chi Jin is a manual for instructors in the Bujinkan. If you do not teach, don't worry about not knowing what the heck it is. It basically outlines all the stuff an instructor should know and teach. It is not a limit, but if you do not know something in it, you have a hole in your knowledge. If you don't know, say, a naginata kata that does not appear in the Ten Chi Jin, it is not considered a big thing. But the stuff in the Ten Chi Jin is the bare minimum you should have in what you teach.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
No, you are not stupid.

The Ten Chi Jin is a manual for instructors in the Bujinkan. If you do not teach, don't worry about not knowing what the heck it is. It basically outlines all the stuff an instructor should know and teach. It is not a limit, but if you do not know something in it, you have a hole in your knowledge. If you don't know, say, a naginata kata that does not appear in the Ten Chi Jin, it is not considered a big thing. But the stuff in the Ten Chi Jin is the bare minimum you should have in what you teach.

Do these vary from school to school, or are they a curiculum set out by the Bujinkan? Im curious, because your comment makes it sound like it is a set standard, but in Elizium's first post in this thread, it sounds like they vary from school to school.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There is only one Japanese version of the text. AFAIK, Hatsumi has never authorized an English language translation. So there are different versions out there. Some are not even "translations" but rather the guy who puts things together just sees the title "Koku" and puts down what he remembers of the kata.

OP
E

Elizium

Technopunk said:
Do these vary from school to school, or are they a curiculum set out by the Bujinkan? Im curious, because your comment makes it sound like it is a set standard, but in Elizium's first post in this thread, it sounds like they vary from school to school.
I have had one for years and it was from Helm. But I found out earlir this year is that part of the TCJRNM from helm was lacking. Another was brought out as it was not feeling right. The other Ten Chi Jin said another way and had more description.

As Technopunk has said and Mr. Roley replied, many are out there. Just some are more descriptive or have more information. Some dojo's make their own for learning from as the Japanese version of the original is very hard to come by nowadays.

r erman

Green Belt
Reaction score
You also have to be careful looking online--a number of people have confused the TCJRNM with the old togakure ryu handbook.

Paul's version is good as far as listing the waza...

OP
E

Elizium

r erman said:
You also have to be careful looking online--a number of people have confused the TCJRNM with the old togakure ryu handbook.

Paul's version is good as far as listing the waza...
Isn't that the original TCJRNM , the one showing Togakure Ryu Taijutsu with the translation?

OP
J

julian

the book of heaven, earth and man.
i have a thin book i got at a uk 1991 tai kai, it is a translation of TCJRNM.
i thought this stuff would be easy to come by now..unless im getting things mixed up.on the cover its got,

bujinkan dojo
dr.masaaki hatsumis school for
bujinkan ninpo taijutsu
eastern culture for body and mind

OP
E

Elizium

I think the one you are reffering to is the one done by Sven Erik when he was a 9th Dan. Take a look in the first page. If it says Sven Erik 9th Dan it is the one I have. Now TCJRNM are more thicker and more concise in the description.

OP
J

julian

Elizium said:
I think the one you are reffering to is the one done by Sven Erik when he was a 9th Dan. Take a look in the first page. If it says Sven Erik 9th Dan it is the one I have. Now TCJRNM are more thicker and more concise in the description.
yeah thats the one. they have better now? i will have to do some research!..ermm one thing at a time though hehe

r erman

Green Belt
Reaction score
Elizium said:
Isn't that the original TCJRNM , the one showing Togakure Ryu Taijutsu with the translation?

No. Both books use Ten Chi and Jin for the sections, but they are different. The Jin section is different in each book. I've *heard* that the TenChiJin has actually been used since the 60's or 70's and that the taijutsu book came later--maybe Paul will chime in(Ithink he's registered here) as this was just being discussed on another private booj forum.