Taser Article.

P

pknox

So, it's a taser that can be used even when you are not at point blank range? That is pretty amazing. I wasn't aware there was such a thing. I can imagine that people would find that very useful. I expect that if I was someone about to be raped, I would love the fact that I could deploy the taser before the rapist was on top of me, and had the possibility of subduing me before I got them.

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had heard of these before. It sounds like the big change is not firing the darts using gunpowder.

P

pknox

Ah. I see. Either way, it seems like an improvement from having to just about touch your attacker.

M

M F

I believe Tasers have always been projectile weapons. I think even the earliest Tasers fired barbed hooks. I believe you are thinking of stun-guns, which are a different animal. Yes, Tasers are much more effective than stun-guns. Taser M-26, which appears in this article, has been updated with the Taser X-26, which is much smaller, but even more effective.

P

pknox

I believe you are correct - I had them confused with stun guns. That definitely sounds like an improvement over a stun gun!

M

M F

www.taser.com

Check it out. There are some great videos on their site, including one where they hit a Bull with a Taser. These things work.

P

pknox

Pretty cool. I guess if Mas Oyama had approached a bull with a taser, he wouldn't have had to work so hard to cut the horns off. :D

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I checked out the site for the x-26. Man, that thing is as high tech as it looks. How long before the electrodes are replaced by lasers?

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When I was in SWAT school, one dept. gave a m-26 demo. We linked up 11 men arm-in-arm. One electrode was placed in my pocket and the other in the #1 mans. They gave us 2 pulses....let me say that, if properly employed, you cannot fight through the taser(even through 11 guys) while being pulsed. An interesting point is that the taser without the projectile pack on can be used as a contact stun gun, but is only as good as a regular stun gun. It works on "pain compliance". With the darts in, its a whole different animal.

M

M F

I'm looking forward to a training session with the Taser in the near future. Our department is getting them for all Deputies as well as all control rooms in the jail.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've been a Taser instructor for about 5 years now, and i've been hit numerous times with the taser. I've also had several opportunities to use it in the field. I can assure you that it is an extremely effective weapon, and has saved a lot of lives and reduced injuries, not only among police officers, but among the suspects themselves.

There's been a lot of disinformation being spread in certain media circles about this wonderful tool, among folks like Amnesty Internation, the ACLU and other groups who have a political agenda. None of the information being spread by these groups is accurate, or even close to reality.

The statements that the taser has "caused several deaths" is not only inaccurate, it is a complete fabrication and a distortion of reality, by people cynically seeking to pursue a political agenda. As a law enforcement officer, I hope that every citizen takes the time to research the Taser and see just exactly what it does and what it does not do.

Education of the public will ensure that this tool will remain an effective option in the hands of the law enforcement community. It is only ignorance that will cause the community to believe that this device is anything other than a safe, effective, lifesaving tool that our communities have an interest in utilizing.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
First OC was causing deaths and had to be taken off the streets, now those same groups are saying that OC should be used instead of Tasers. And if Im not mistaken, OC is still associated with more in-custody fatalities than the Taser ever has....

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The people complaining the loudest about the taser, and every other LE tool, are the ones who a) contribute nothing to society other than job security for some of us or b) those who seem to feel an overwhelming compulsion to support group a no matter the circumstances.

Concerned about being killed by a taser? May I suggest not smoking crack, acting up at 3 in the morning, and then fighting the officers who show up to deal with you?

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That officer in that video clip could have been in a world of **** if it werent for that Taser.

(One reason Im glad Im not a Trooper...Solo arrests with cover many minutes away)

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just for the point of argument and since this is a Martial Arts board, is there any good defense against a taser (other than the same as a pistol when in striking range) ?

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
C'mon. Solo work is, well, um, solo.

FF- best defense- don't provoke someone to deploy one on you? Seriously, the drive stun (contact) is used more by the guys on my department who have them than the distance shock.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Any weapon that can disable a bad guy quickly without killing them is a "good thing". Tazer will get better and better as time goes on. ....you got my vote .........Aloha

Latest Discussions