Tai Chi Bang Stick

emily

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi I was wondering if anyone knows how long a custom made bang stick is and can anyone recommend a dvd/video/book on tai chi bang form. Emily from Australia

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's a traditional Chinese weapon/training aid that teaches you to emit fa-jing. In the beginning you practice the 22 Long Form and learn to punch holes in paper with your chi from a few yards away.

As the student progresses he can specialize. Serious practitioners learn several versions. Some of the most popular are the one-hand 'numbered' forms like 17 Tupperware and the 454 Too Small Wang. Some still swear by the classic Large Colt Form which allows you to emit 230 grain energy blasts at 950 feet per second.

Everyone acknowledges that the greatest power is generated by studying the most Ancient and Esoteric Tibetan Two-Hand Smo Kep Ole system.

Or you could be ploddingly literal and say that it's actually the "Tai Chi Bang" i,e. Tai Chi Ruler.

:D

Quotheraving

Orange Belt
Reaction score
It's a traditional Chinese weapon/training aid that teaches you to emit fa-jing. In the beginning you practice the 22 Long Form and learn to punch holes in paper with your chi from a few yards away.

As the student progresses he can specialize. Serious practitioners learn several versions. Some of the most popular are the one-hand 'numbered' forms like 17 Tupperware and the 454 Too Small Wang. Some still swear by the classic Large Colt Form which allows you to emit 230 grain energy blasts at 950 feet per second.

Everyone acknowledges that the greatest power is generated by studying the most Ancient and Esoteric Tibetan Two-Hand Smo Kep Ole system.

Or you could be ploddingly literal and say that it's actually the "Tai Chi Bang" i,e. Tai Chi Ruler.

:D

Made me laugh :)

Formosa Neijia

Green Belt
Reaction score
Tai chi bang is a short stick:
taichibangdiag.jpg

It's usually confused with taiji ruler:
ruler.jpg

But the exercises are different.

Taichi bang is likely from shuai jiao, which uses the same device in the same fashion. It increases grip strength and flexibility, making is excellent for qinna. The lineage that does it the most in Feng Zhi-qiang's hun yuan taijiquan.

More ino on the differences:
http://www.taichiacademy.com.au/products.php?id=6
http://www.taichiacademy.com.au/products.php?id=9

These look to be good DVDs BTW.

vcd711m.jpg

This is an alternate version of the bang as done by Chen Qing-zhou. But he just demos it, he doesn't describe what he's doing.

ggg214

Blue Belt
Reaction score
i still don't understand what the tai ji bang is.
need more info.

OP
E

emily

White Belt
Reaction score
Tai chi bang is like a dance where you're doing tai chi and holding the stick and twisting the stick as you do a form, I think, anyway thanks for all the posts, I'll look into the sites and dvds recommended. And no it's not for hitting crocs in australia over the head! emily

Myrmidon

Green Belt
Reaction score
Here is an example of "taiji bang" and "taiji ruler"...

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions