Taekwondo & Strength training

Markku P

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I am curious about how much you or your students do weight training? My competition team does all year round 1-3 times a week. ( basic, maximum and speed strenght )

/Markku

PS: I also posted this in other forum.:)

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am curious about how much you or your students do weight training? My competition team does all year round 1-3 times a week. ( basic, maximum and speed strenght )

/Markku

PS: I also posted this in other forum.:)

Been strength training since 1970 or so. The goal was to always max my strength to weight ratio. That way the speed was not affected negatively.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I practice resistance training 3x per week, using kettlebells, suspension training (TRX), and body weight exercises. My focus is on building ballistic/explosive power.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I do bodyweight exercises along with old school hojo undo training for strength building.

jthomas1600

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Our school pushes strength and conditioning in a big way. But as far as I can see the philosophy is that body weight exercises and TKD is adequate produce the desired results. I add weight lifting because I enjoy it.

Masshiro

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
it apears to me that everyone is talking about there own personal weight training, and if i understand the question it is asking about it conjunction with TKD. in my Dojang we do not do free weights nor machines, though we do use our own body weight and others do do strength conditioning. It seems to me that most people will be doing weight training seperate from the dojang, i myself gave up weight training years ago because it puts excess strain on my joints.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
it apears to me that everyone is talking about there own personal weight training, and if i understand the question it is asking about it conjunction with TKD. in my Dojang we do not do free weights nor machines, though we do use our own body weight and others do do strength conditioning. It seems to me that most people will be doing weight training seperate from the dojang, i myself gave up weight training years ago because it puts excess strain on my joints.

Depending on the type of resistance training you do, you can actually increase joint mobility and health without the strain. For example the Kettlebell Turkish get up, goblet squat, and swing are three fundamental KB exercises, which, when done properly, can actually increase joint health.

Latest Discussions