Tae Guek Cho Dan?

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Last night, I went to a friend's TSD school. (He's the master, there) He had his yellow belt students doing a form called Tae Guek Cho Dan. It was a basic H-pattern form with low blocks, high blocks, & punches. As a TKD guy, it's not like our Tae Guek poomsae 1-8. I didn't get a chance to ask my friend about it in detail.

I'm wondering what the origins of this form are. Does anyone else do it?

Master K

Green Belt
Reaction score
If it is not the Taegeuks from TKD, then chances are it is a form that was created by him or his/her instructor. I would recommend you speak with your friend, and please post any pertinent info.

cdunn

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've seen a little bit of this floating around, I think it's associated with the Chung Do Kwan, rather than the Moo Duk Kwan. My suspicion is that they're just Funakoshi's Taikyoku series renamed.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've seen a little bit of this floating around, I think it's associated with the Chung Do Kwan, rather than the Moo Duk Kwan. My suspicion is that they're just Funakoshi's Taikyoku series renamed.

Or some variation thereof. Several of the TSD organizations take the Taikyoku/Kicho series and add a few moves here and there.

Iceman, can you describe a bit more of the hyung?

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Yep... sounds like what I did as basic #2...

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Definitely sounds like a take on the taekyoku series. The three I know are H forms that focus on basic block/pimch combinations. Most of the stanes are front stance (some horse stance in Taekyoku 3).

It would make sense to see Shotokan related forms in a TSD class.

Peace,
Erik

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Or some variation thereof. Several of the TSD organizations take the Taikyoku/Kicho series and add a few moves here and there.

Iceman, can you describe a bit more of the hyung?[/quote]

From what I can recall, it's very similar to the form that I learned called "Kibon". But it is not.

A low block followed by a solar plexus punch (stepping forward). (Same ofn the other side. Pick up left foot, turn 90 degrees, high block left hand (front stance), followed by two more high blocks as one steps forward. Then (if I recall) there's a 270 degree turn into an outside middle block, then step forward w/ a punch. Then, the same on the other side. Three high blocks in the center again. Then 270 degree turn into a double knifehand block then step forward punch. Turn and finish with the same.

Sound familar to anyone? I would ask my friend, but I only see him about once a year.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Iceman, can you describe a bit more of the hyung?[/quote]

From what I can recall, it's very similar to the form that I learned called "Kibon". But it is not.

A low block followed by a solar plexus punch (stepping forward). (Same ofn the other side. Pick up left foot, turn 90 degrees, high block left hand (front stance), followed by two more high blocks as one steps forward. Then (if I recall) there's a 270 degree turn into an outside middle block, then step forward w/ a punch. Then, the same on the other side. Three high blocks in the center again. Then 270 degree turn into a double knifehand block then step forward punch. Turn and finish with the same.

Sound familar to anyone? I would ask my friend, but I only see him about once a year.

Shotokan Taikyoku forms...

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yep, Taikyoku 1, with middle blocks in the end instead of more low blocks.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks folks! I'll have to ask if my friend knows why they call this form Tae Guek, rather than the Japanese name. In his school, they alternate Japanese & Korean terms for nearly everything.

SJON

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hi. I've just discovered the TSD forum.

I've seen some Youtube demonstrations of 5 Taegeuk forms which would seem to be the ones you describe, and I've been informed that they were used in the Ji Do Kwan.

Danzer

White Belt
Reaction score
We do Tea Guek Cho-Dan, E-Dan and Sam-Dan forms for our white belts students in Chung Do Kwan. This form sounds just like our Tae GuekCho-Dan. I know that our Tae Guek, we spell it Tea Kuk, is not the same form patterns used by many of the TKD schools.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We do Tea Guek Cho-Dan, E-Dan and Sam-Dan forms for our white belts students in Chung Do Kwan. This form sounds just like our Tae GuekCho-Dan. I know that our Tae Guek, we spell it Tea Kuk, is not the same form patterns used by many of the TKD schools.

Are you in a Tang Soo Do or Tae Kwon Do style school?

TaeKwonDoKevin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Last night, I went to a friend's TSD school. (He's the master, there) He had his yellow belt students doing a form called Tae Guek Cho Dan. It was a basic H-pattern form with low blocks, high blocks, & punches. As a TKD guy, it's not like our Tae Guek poomsae 1-8. I didn't get a chance to ask my friend about it in detail.

I'm wondering what the origins of this form are. Does anyone else do it?

Those were the first set of Patterns that I learned along with the KUK MU Patterns and the PYUNG ON, my spelling may be off. My first Instructor was in the WORLD TAEKWONDO ASSOCIATION headed by G.Master Duk Sung Son, until we switched to an Association the taught the ITF Chang Hon Patterns.
It was my understanding the Patterns were of Japanese based. We had 3 Patterns per belt that we had to learn.
I don't remember all of the Patterns as this was back in the 70s.....1970s that is ....LOL
Respectfully,
-Kevin

Latest Discussions