Tactical Flashlight

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Came across this recently and will likely be my next go to taclight. The ring feature is a big selling point for me. That said @Buka . I thought of your previous "I am watching you" when some of us were talking about self defense tools you can get through airport security when I saw the video. Watch it and you will know the section I am referring to... ;). The price isn't even bad for a light of that construction (lumens, aircraft aluminum etc.)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The fox krambit of torches?

Buy it and see how it goes. I have ideas where there might be issues.

My major concern is i don't know the torch brand. So the actual ability to consistently light the darkness isn't really a proven factor. Especially if you are hitting things with it.

Which never seems good for torches.

OP
Juany118

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
The fox krambit of torches?

Buy it and see how it goes. I have ideas where there might be issues.

My major concern is i don't know the torch brand. So the actual ability to consistently light the darkness isn't really a proven factor. Especially if you are hitting things with it.

Which never seems good for torches.

Well here is the thing. The light is almost purely a self defense tool. It uses the CREE XM-L2 1,000 Lumen LED and they make solid, tough LEDs but as I suspected, in a package that size, heat is an issue. They recommend not using it on steady High mode for more than 2 minutes. So they are hedging their bets (and thus the lower settings). At the same time similar lights of confirmed quality (say Surefire) can cost north of $200.00 vs sub $90.00 so it is worth an experiment imo.

Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Now I'm curious. Guess I'm going to have to get one of those in the next month (I have a long list of equipment needs right now) and run it by my TSA friends and see what they have to say. I'll get back to you with what I hear. (this is so much fun!)

I have mixed feelings about the ring feature. Like it in a lot of ways, afraid of my finger getting torn in others. (I think the concern comes from being out of the field for a few years, nice to be back, though)

By the by....in the vid, loved the use of the back of the thigh at the 3:05 mark to turn the body. That was nice. Gotta take a look at that.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Since we are talking flash lights,,anyone ever use an Olight? Thinking of getting one for EDC.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
With a Kerambit if someone interdicts your knife bearing hand you can cut your way out. With a ring around a tactical light you do not have that option. Not a fan of the ring feature on this flash light!

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I dislike the word 'tactical' and steer clear of anything so described. A flashlight is a nice thing to have, and it can certainly be used as a weapon, but I don't carry one in my pocket or in a holster.

As with most weapons that are thinly-disguised as tools, it's not fooling law enforcement. If a person has a screwdriver in their pocket and there isn't a repair taking place nearby, it's a burglar tool or a concealed weapon. So too with a 'tactical' flashlight. Nobody is fooled by "Look, it's just a flashlight!"

OP
Juany118

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
I dislike the word 'tactical' and steer clear of anything so described. A flashlight is a nice thing to have, and it can certainly be used as a weapon, but I don't carry one in my pocket or in a holster.

As with most weapons that are thinly-disguised as tools, it's not fooling law enforcement. If a person has a screwdriver in their pocket and there isn't a repair taking place nearby, it's a burglar tool or a concealed weapon. So too with a 'tactical' flashlight. Nobody is fooled by "Look, it's just a flashlight!"

The problem is, at least in my state I can only say it's an instrument of crime IF I have a crime to connect it to. Walking down the street with a flashlight in one pocket and a screwdriver in the other at 3 am, I am watching that guy. Walking down the street with the same stuff, plus $35.00 worth of coin, 5 cell phone chargers and another officer is telling me he is finding cars that were gone through up the street, NOW I might have something ;)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well here is the thing. The light is almost purely a self defense tool. It uses the CREE XM-L2 1,000 Lumen LED and they make solid, tough LEDs but as I suspected, in a package that size, heat is an issue. They recommend not using it on steady High mode for more than 2 minutes. So they are hedging their bets (and thus the lower settings). At the same time similar lights of confirmed quality (say Surefire) can cost north of $200.00 vs sub $90.00 so it is worth an experiment imo.

Nitecore is probably what i would compare that light to. similar price. similar output. Surefire is massively overpriced.
so say something like this.

I don't really use strobes anymore exept to signal people.

As far as reliability i think it is the battery connection that goes out. as everything loosens up the less well built torches will start to intermittently switch off and on.

And this is going to determine your self defence use. For me I use a torch like this defensively in two ways.

1. As you see in the video. I think something is amiss and I shine a light on it from a hundred meters away. If there is something going on either they run away or I do.

2. I pull it out and hammerfist someone in the head. I wouldn't even attempt arm destruction or locks. I dont have enough time.

So any bright torch that is a basic tube will do the job. provided it turns on and stays on when i want it to.

I am also anti bevel but that is because I am a guy. there are not many circumstances that happen where i can justify chopping up someone's face. for a chick they get away with that a bit more.

But it means i cant unload on someone as quickly as I would if the resulting damage is a cut or a bruise. In fact if I was making tactical torches I would have a flat impact surface.

Frost890

White Belt
Reaction score
The problem I see is with the bevel. Some TSA will consider it a weapon. It is a long bevel, longer then needed to "see the flashlight if I set it down". Many consider any bevel to be a "Strike Bevel" only used as a weapon.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
The problem I see is with the bevel. Some TSA will consider it a weapon. It is a long bevel, longer then needed to "see the flashlight if I set it down". Many consider any bevel to be a "Strike Bevel" only used as a weapon.

The bevel is removable if that is a concern.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Now I'm curious. Guess I'm going to have to get one of those in the next month (I have a long list of equipment needs right now) and run it by my TSA friends and see what they have to say. I'll get back to you with what I hear. (this is so much fun!)

I have mixed feelings about the ring feature. Like it in a lot of ways, afraid of my finger getting torn in others. (I think the concern comes from being out of the field for a few years, nice to be back, though)

By the by....in the vid, loved the use of the back of the thigh at the 3:05 mark to turn the body. That was nice. Gotta take a look at that.

I got to handle a beta version of one of these last July (Jared there is my kali instructor) and I had mixed feelings about the ring as well. Love it for access, I am not sure I am a fan of it if I am using it as an impact weapon, the ring forces my index finger out of its standard position so I am not sure how it would feel if I was hitting something hard. As it was an early sample I didn't get to whack it on anything or do any destruction tests. :D That was a quick impression from just a couple of minutes of handling.

OP
Juany118

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
I got to handle a beta version of one of these last July (Jared there is my kali instructor) and I had mixed feelings about the ring as well. Love it for access, I am not sure I am a fan of it if I am using it as an impact weapon, the ring forces my index finger out of its standard position so I am not sure how it would feel if I was hitting something hard. As it was an early sample I didn't get to whack it on anything or do any destruction tests. :D That was a quick impression from just a couple of minutes of handling.
First you beat me on the bevel bit. In your description of issues with striking I can see the concern but this is how I was looking at it (pure mind play here since I haven't gotten one yet but using a combination of two things a palm stick and the Fox DART XT. I see most of the strikes you would do with the flashlight as similar to a palm stick, in essence striking with the top and bottom of the fist. That said I have done some full on punching on my tire dummy and a heavy bag with the DART. My finger is indeed off BUT the ring itself did protect me from injuring myself.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Psilent Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the ring feature at all. As far as not losing it during a self defense situation, I would rather have a lanyard instead of that finger ring.

I think a torch that has a lanyard as well as a pocket/belt clip is ideal. But I don't think I've ever seen a light that has both. What is everyone's opinions on which would be preferable to have if you had to choose one or the other? A pocket clip for more convenient carry or a lanyard to minimize risk of dropping it and/or having it taken away by your assailant?

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Stream light for illumination.... old mag light for putting knots on someone's head.

OP
Juany118

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the ring feature at all. As far as not losing it during a self defense situation, I would rather have a lanyard instead of that finger ring.

I think a torch that has a lanyard as well as a pocket/belt clip is ideal. But I don't think I've ever seen a light that has both. What is everyone's opinions on which would be preferable to have if you had to choose one or the other? A pocket clip for more convenient carry or a lanyard to minimize risk of dropping it and/or having it taken away by your assailant?
The ring feature isn't limited to retention though. It also gives you the ability to knuckle dust al la brass knuckles. I'm it also allows for more rapid, and secure, deployment from either a pocket or pouch/holster. /Shrug.

Psilent Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The ring feature isn't limited to retention though. It also gives you the ability to knuckle dust al la brass knuckles. I'm it also allows for more rapid, and secure, deployment from either a pocket or pouch/holster. /Shrug.

Is another use of the finger ring so that the flashlight can be used as a makeshift Suntetsu (though I think that would be awkward)?

OP
Juany118

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is another use of the finger ring so that the flashlight can be used as a makeshift Suntetsu (though I think that would be awkward)?

Not really, the inspiration is more based on the karambit.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
However, Juany118 it is not a Karambit. If the hand is interdicted/grabbed you can't cut your way out. That ring feature is just going to get your finger broken. Not a good idea.

Latest Discussions