Survival foods

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
In the short run, yes. For example, cat food contains nutrients almost exclusively from meat (though sometimes from other protein sources). Dog food may be better for humans than cat food since they also contain vegetable nutrients, but still doesn't cover all human nutritional needs. One point of concern when you're in a survival situation is your immune system, which pet food is unlikely to contain the nutrients needed to maintain it.

Also, pet food is also designed to be palatable to the pets that they were made for. I'd probably miss several meals before resorting to pet food. Something more palatable to humans would mitigate that hesitation.
I only think of pet foods as a staple like rice or beans. I would supplement with whatever I could chew. Lots of edibles around where I live if you know where and what to look for. Personally, I find large Mormon families typically have a lot of food on hand. Just kidding, that’s just something I like to tease them about.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
You will be surprised how many ninja-level survivalists go missing once the knives come out to dress the animals. I always carried a pouch of seasonings for such an occasion.
Seasonings, now that is being properly prepared to prevent piss poor performance.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
In the short run, yes. For example, cat food contains nutrients almost exclusively from meat (though sometimes from other protein sources). Dog food may be better for humans than cat food since they also contain vegetable nutrients, but still doesn't cover all human nutritional needs. One point of concern when you're in a survival situation is your immune system, which pet food is unlikely to contain the nutrients needed to maintain it.

Also, pet food is also designed to be palatable to the pets that they were made for. I'd probably miss several meals before resorting to pet food. Something more palatable to humans would mitigate that hesitation.
I would rather eat pet food than fast food. I’m guessing pet food is better for you and tastes about the same, but I wouldn’t know because I haven’t hit a McDonald’s or Taco Bell in over 35 years.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree. It’s even better as an appetizer, wrapped in bacon and smoked over a fire.
I haven’t eaten one in a very long time. Never with bacon, but it’s going down that way in future events for sure. This recipe needs to be sent to our MT bacon eater in chief @Xue Sheng. He love love loves it! Talks about it all the time.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
You will be surprised how many ninja-level survivalists go missing once the knives come out to dress the animals. I always carried a pouch of seasonings for such an occasion.
Lol! I used to hate it when my dad would bring city people to deer hunt. They come in full camo with a 460 Weatherbee, an 8 inch Ruger Blackhawk, and a cutlass sized Bowie knife. Then they gutshoot a buck uphill and have me go find it in the poison oak. You guys in the south probably just go up a tree, drink aiming oil, and wait for Bucky to come near the pickup huh? I’m teasing because of all the hiking deer through brush i did.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I haven’t eaten one in a very long time. Never with bacon, but it’s going down that way in future events for sure. This recipe needs to be sent to our MT bacon eater in chief @Xue Sheng. He love love loves it! Talks about it all the time.
You have me confused with @Dirty Dog, our Bacon propaganda spreading lover of all things Bacon..... I hates the stuff

gyoja

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t know how good MREs are now, but in 1990, they were not great! Except for the chicken Ala king. That was pretty good.
They are much better now. What’s funny is a chicken ala king gave me food poisoning once. 😂

gyoja

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol! I used to hate it when my dad would bring city people to deer hunt. They come in full camo with a 460 Weatherbee, an 8 inch Ruger Blackhawk, and a cutlass sized Bowie knife. Then they gutshoot a buck uphill and have me go find it in the poison oak. You guys in the south probably just go up a tree, drink aiming oil, and wait for Bucky to come near the pickup huh? I’m teasing because of all the hiking deer through brush i did.
Sounds like my childhood!

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don’t know how good MREs are now, but in 1990, they were not great! Except for the chicken Ala king. That was pretty good.
Were they the dehydrated ones?

gyoja

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s been a long time. But I remember calorie dense fudge, questionable entree (like the chicken Ala king), dehydrated fruit, and a small container of matches
Man, they have come a long way since the old dark brown MREs. You get a huge variety now since the addition of vegetarian meals, and they all come with a water activated heater. Still get the crackers, but some come with peanut butter, while others come with cheese (regular or jalapeño). They actually had soldiers taste test and pick the new menu.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
People who prep make me laugh. They'll debate freeze-dried food to the end of the earth, but they don't know how to put out a house fire, read the weather from cloud formations, read a topo map or use a lensatic compass. They don't know how to dress and treat a wound, perform dentistry, they don't have a stockpile of their medications, no idea how they'll get gasoline, never heard of a rally point, and could not possibly get out of their own house in an emergency in the dark. But they sure gots lots of ammo and rations. Might have a gas mask tucked away somewhere, although they've never tried to get a good seal on it, so who knows if it works.

Cosplayers with expensive habits and a Grunt Style t-shirt with spaghetti stains on it. Hilarious.

gyoja

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People who prep make me laugh. They'll debate freeze-dried food to the end of the earth, but they don't know how to put out a house fire, read the weather from cloud formations, read a topo map or use a lensatic compass. They don't know how to dress and treat a wound, perform dentistry, they don't have a stockpile of their medications, no idea how they'll get gasoline, never heard of a rally point, and could not possibly get out of their own house in an emergency in the dark. But they sure gots lots of ammo and rations. Might have a gas mask tucked away somewhere, although they've never tried to get a good seal on it, so who knows if it works.

Cosplayers with expensive habits and a Grunt Style t-shirt with spaghetti stains on it. Hilarious.
You know, those Grunt style t-shirts add to your cool factor and street cred; both things necessary for survival. 😂

gyoja

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vet bros. Guys who wear all that stuff… their motto is, “Thank me for my service.” 😂
Leesville is full of privates wearing that stuff; kind of their key ID feature. I used to tell my guys to blend in.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

Hush! I’m depending on these people to keep me supplied in the apocalypse.

gyoja

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you have a favorite? Four fingers of death? Escaped potatoes and ham? I really liked the corned beef hash.

Latest Discussions