Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just read this, sounds pretty cool.
http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2008/autos/0806/gallery.carbon_e7_police_car/index.html
Carbon Motors thinks it can offer something better than the retro-fitted Ford Crown Victorias, Chevrolet Impalas and Dodge Magnums most police officers now drive. Li adds that the Carbon E7, the car's working name, will cost police departments no more than the fully equipped cars they now drive.
On top of all that, the E7 will be stronger, faster, tougher and more fuel-efficient, the company claims. So far, about 650 police departments have expressed interest in the car, Li says, even though production isn't expected to begin before 2012.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I like the suicide doors, aside from that, it is a fugly vehicle, practical isn't always pretty.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I liked the part about some kind of buy-back to keep them out of criminals hands.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I drive a mercury Grand Marquis, that it resembles a cop car is a complete PITA at night, people see the pattern of the lights and automatically slow down in front of me.
I don't remember EVER hearing of people buying used cop cars for criminal purposes, before this article.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't remember EVER hearing of people buying used cop cars for criminal purposes, before this article.

Used police vehicles are probably not the best of choices for criminals, anyways. Most that I've seen have a lot of wear and tear on them, and the actual odometer reading isn't a good indicator of how much life is left in the car. Police vehicles spend a lot of time idling, and aren't going to be the most gently driven vehicles out there.

Furthermore, the auctions where the purchase of such vehicles usually take place, aren't going to give you much insight into the vehicle's history. This is especially of great concern, since there could be any number of reasons why the vehicle had been decomissioned, and that the problem may not have been fixed.

That, plus a criminal probably doesn't want to be mistaken for a police officer, since criminals' worst enemies can often be other criminals...

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting.
icon6.gif