Super-Easy Homemade Butter!

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is so easy and way cool - great science lesson for the kids if you've got them and way to really impress that woman who stays the night.

Buy some heavy cream or whipping cream from the store. Sterilize a glass jar and its fitted lid (empty spaghetti sauce jar, salad dressing jar, etc.) just so long as it's COMPLETELY free of food, has been scrubbed clean and has gone through either the dishwasher or a boiling water plunge. The jar should be completely cooled. It helps if the jar is clear, but it's not important to the process.

Pour enough cream into the jar to fill the jar no more than 2/3's full. Place the lid on the jar tightly and put the jar somewhere on your counter where there won't be sun or heat getting to it and where it can sit undisturbed for 12 hours - overnight works.

In the morning (or 12 hours later), grab that jar and start shaking it like you're trying to shake a ketchup jar so that ketchup comes out.

Soon it will be difficult to feel anything moving around in the jar (this is close to a whipped cream stage). Keep shakin'!

Soon after that, you'll feel a mass moving back and forth and if your jar is clear, you'll see that the whole mass resembles curdled cream cheese and kind of sticks together. Keep shakin'!

Very soon after that, you'll start to see a mass of butter forming in the middle and milk around it.

Keep shakin' for a little while longer, then pour off the buttermilk into a cup or small glass. It's yummy!! Either drink it fresh or save it in the fridge to use in baking.

Place the butter into a small bowl. The butter may still exude buttermilk - it will look like it's sweating. If your butter is doing this still, you need to shake it up for a little while longer or stir vigorously. Keep straining off the buttermilk.

You have sweet cream butter which may not look like store-bought yellow butter. If you prefer salted butter, lightly salt your butter and stir WELL. Put this on hot toast, warm muffins or fresh-made bread.

This butter is not suited for cooking with, rather dressing finished goods with. Remember to keep this butter refrigerated.

Total time: 15 minutes of shakin'.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'll be trying this ASAP. As for the 15 minutes of shaking...well, that's what kids are for.:)

Aqua4ever

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This is lots of fun, we've done it in school before!
I think i'll try it again though,
thanks for the reminder of it
Aqua

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MA-Caver said:
I can't believe it's not butter...:rolleyes:

Uhhhhhhh ..... it IS .....:whip::rolleyes:

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That sounds pretty cool...I'll definitely have to try it sometime.

Cthulhu

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm going to start some tonight and add honey to the finished product to make honey butter - will give you the review tomorrow night.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So lemme get this straight...

Im leaving milk on the counter overnight... and then shakin it, but its not BAD.

RIIIIIIIIGHT.

If this doesnt work out, YOU are coming to clean the bathrooms here.

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
So lemme get this straight...

Im leaving milk on the counter overnight... and then shakin it, but its not BAD.

RIIIIIIIIGHT.

If this doesnt work out, YOU are coming to clean the bathrooms here.
The hell I will. :whip: Not having anything to do with Techno Poop.

Cream, man - not milk, cream. You're churning butter without the big stick you have to pump up and down. Cuz, you know ... you do enough of that .... :ultracool

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aw, hell...I ain't touching that one...nope...not gonna do it...wouldn't be prudent...

Cthulhu

shesulsa said:
Cream, man - not milk, cream. You're churning butter without the big stick you have to pump up and down. Cuz, you know ... you do enough of that .... :ultracool

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
You're churning butter without the big stick you have to pump up and down. Cuz, you know ... you do enough of that .... :ultracool

With 6,500+ posts, Shesulsa gets the freedom to say the things I wish I could get by with. You're my hero.

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Navarre said:
With 6,500+ posts, Shesulsa gets the freedom to say the things I wish I could get by with. You're my hero.
Oh, I'll likely get a warning any time now. No one is (nor should be) immune to the rules of the board.

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador said:
I think I've dropped into Weird Al's "Amish Paradise"...

Crap! Is THAT where I've been all these years???

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Crap! Is THAT where I've been all these years???

Amish Paradise...for someone posting from a computer (as if you'd post from anything else...yeesh), isn't that a bit of an oxymoron?

:)

Cthulhu

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The honey butter turned out AWESOME!!! I'm makin' more!!!

So, just follow the recipe, add a pinch of salt and start with about two tablespoons of honey. Add more if you want a sweeter taste. Great over fresh-baked cornbread!!

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
*Stern Look to Shesulsa*.......

Ahems.. and you know the rules... Behave or else~!!!

:whip:

Q.O.P.

pssst... I remember making butter that way when we had a bicentennial celebration in my old home town.. it works and it's verrry good~!!

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, ma'am ... what is a day, really, without a tap on the behind from the Q.O.P.?

Okay, okay, I'll be good. I promise! :)

Latest Discussions