Study Lethwei in Yangon, Burma

kimcheemonster

White Belt
Reaction score
Are there schools that foreigners can study Lethwei in Burma? I do not speak Burmese, but would sure like to live in Yangon for about 6 months and learn Lethwei. Does anyone have any information?
Thanks!

brokenbonz

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Are there schools that foreigners can study Lethwei in Burma? I do not speak Burmese, but would sure like to live in Yangon for about 6 months and learn Lethwei. Does anyone have any information?
Thanks!

I don't know brother, I heard they still under some form of dictatorship. If I was you, before heading down there, I would check out that country political profile.

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
As far as I know, Mayanmar is still VERY leary of granting any long term visas to westerners (has been explained to me as a fear of reporters...?). Usually you enter from Thailand on a weeklong permit.

Plus it is still a restless situation there.

Take my post with a grain of salt as it has been a few years since I looked into going there, but this is what I found out.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know a few people who have traveled to Myanmar/Burma, for various reasons. I suspect that few of them would encourage traveling solely to train in a martial art. The country is a dictatorship, and I wouldn't be in the least surprised if it's on various US State Department watch lists and do not travel lists.

And, as far as I understand it, there aren't really very many open martial arts camps/schools there, either...

Final thought... If you don't know the language, you're going to have a hell of a time getting by. How are you going to support yourself? How are you going to buy food? Find a place to live? I believe Dave Lowry (or someone) wrote a piece a few years ago about people showing up in Japan who don't know the language and have no plans to support themselves but expect to live in the dojo and train... It wasn't exactly praising these people.

Latest Discussions