Students of Concern

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know, I don't like the proposed new rules listed here. Plus I think if you are doing it don't single out specific countries, make everyone do it. But I don't know if it is completely paranoid nonsense. They may be taking this too far, but when it come to military application, the thought that someone could DOS one of our systems or turn a screen that shows good guys in green and bad guys in red to show good guys in red and bad guys in green and us not know it worries me. It can lead to the loss of lives, can cause us to shoot our own guys, hurting the very people we are developing these systems to protect.
I know you can't believe everything you read but there are plenty or stories and examples of people being sleeper agents and being in the US for years and model citizens and then turning around and giving secrets away. China is a common example of a country using sleeper agents that's been in the news not too long ago for this.
In the end, I doubt these rules will solve any problems or stop anyone who wants to from using the education they recieve here against the US military interests at a later date.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree..sounds like another "good idea" bound to be screwed up by governmental, bureocratic, inefficiency.

mj_lover

Blue Belt
Reaction score
i'm against this. good lord, total paranoia, or a money grab. if nasty people want technology, they will find it elsewhere. i can see no benifit to this, other then creating a racial barrier, which i thought was illegal. as has been previously stated, if this is to be done, do it to everybody, including american citizins, because there are nasty americans to.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This can only hurt us. Those students will study, and some will then stay, in Europe, China, etc.

Look at how many immigrants invented things we use every day. Look at how many immigrants worked on the bomb...not everyone will stay, but some will, and that strengthens our country.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is this from the same group of people who claimed we "armed" Iraq during the 1980's because they bought dual use equipment from private companies and specimens of biological agents, such as anthrax, for purported veterinary use? I'm not saying that was a wise decision, but would you folks have called it "paranoid" to have restricted access to these agents? I wouldn't have called it so. So how paranoid is it to restrict access to another crucial element of these type of programs, training? How is this different? What was sold to Iraq was no different, yet that is PROOF we armed Iraq? If nothing is done, won't someone just say in a few years "Well, we trained them to do this"?

Just an observation that many people manage to find a way to be on both sides of every issue. This may be a bad idea, but to simply call it "proof of paranoia" out of hand, is simply more paranoia.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
sgtmac_46 said:
Just an observation that many people manage to find a way to be on both sides of every issue.
That seems to be the way of life for many.....as long as each viewpoint is contrary to the political party they despise the most.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tgace said:
That seems to be the way of life for many.....as long as each viewpoint is contrary to the political party they despise the most.
Sad, but true.

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Germany passed rules about who could study at its Universities. That is how Albert Einstein ended up in the States ;)

Personally I'm all for this law, but maybe thats because I'm Canadian and many of those smart immigrants might choose Canada instead :D

Latest Discussions