student teachers

rachel

Purple Belt
Reaction score
How many of you assist your instructor in a class or student teach? Do you have to be a certain minimum rank to do this? I'm thinking of asking my teacher if I can help out. It's something I've thought about for a while now.

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It can't hurt to ask. If your instructor feels you're ready, go for it. If on the other hand he/she says something like "not quite yet", don't feel bad. Any good instructor will only have your best interests at heart, and entering into a teaching situation too soon can be a bad experience for both the helper and the students.

Trying to avoid life's potholes,
Randy Strausbaugh

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Go for it Rachel:

At the Kenpo school I started in, Blue Belts could be "Instructors" teaching private lessons to kids and beginners under Black Belt supervision.

When I got my Blue Belt, I asked the Sensei if I could be an instructor. He slapped me in the face, gave me a lecture about patience and humility and told me to train harder. I trained harder, 3 months later he brought me into a "Potential Instructors" class where we learned how to teach. Shortly thereafter, I taught my first private lesson to a 7-year old beginner.

J

Jill666

In my school, one student began assisting at green belt- not leading the class but helping & coaching in the beginner class. I haven't seen others assist that early- at brown many (including myself) assist. As for teaching a class solo, only black belts have done it at my dojo, and only as fill-ins. Usually the head instructor teaches all his own classes.

I had been known to ask for one assistant instructor at times for a private lesson, as he is built like me (tall & slim). Sometimes I would pick things up more easily from him. The head instructor follows the default Kenpo body type. ;) But now that assistant has moved to sunny Florida.

I say ask- teaching isn't easy, and the more experience you get, the better. Luck!

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
i think i would more "make myself available" to the instructor first rather than ask flat out if i could help instruct.

express your willingness to learn the ways of instruction at your school and in your system, and your understanding that your instructor may not feel you are ready yet, but when he or she does...you would like to have the opportunity.

T

tonbo

At our school, we have a number of students that we train to be teachers; as a student gets up into the brown and higher ranks, it is a requirement that they spend some time teaching. You can "apply" to be a student teacher trainee at blue belt, as well as any point thereafter.

I would agree that, if no such system is set up in your school, "make yourself available" to your head instructor. You may write up a letter for him/her and just state what your intentions, and ask for his/her advice on the matter. Some instructors are pretty open about being approached; others take it very personally.

Peace--

J

jdmills

It seems to be that the smaller the school, the earlier you are to begin helping out or even formally teaching classes. I was teaching as a Blue Belt and I think I even started before that. It all depends on how long the school has existed, who is available to teach and the level of the students being taught. Schools with 500 people enrolled and 50 blackbelts are probably not in need of having blue belts teach classes but schools with a total enrollment of 50 probably are. I wouldn't be too anxious though, I've heard of students having a difficult time getting instruction some times because they are too busy teaching classes.

R

roryneil

I was helping the kids by at least orange. The head instructor can't give everyone full attention and there is no reason for him to run through short 1 with 5 year olds when there are blue/green belts wanting instruction.
Now that is not to say I was TEACHING, as in "imparting new knowledge". Merely helping along what they already had learned. But when you are showing someone else, you really see the shortcomings in your own skills.

K

KenpoDragon

At my old school you could be an assistant instructor at 3rd Brown, it was part of the requirement that you had to have 200 hours of teaching to eventually test for your Black Belt.

:asian: KenpoDragon

OP
rachel

rachel

Purple Belt
Reaction score
That's what I'd like to do. Help out with the kids classes and maybe help the adults who are white and yellow belts in my class.I'll approach him tomorrow and see what he says if he has a minute. Right now we are getting ready for our yearly demonstration at the school. This will be the first year for me and I'm nervous about performing in public but I guess most of us are.:)

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by KenpoDragon
At my old school you could be an assistant instructor at 3rd Brown, it was part of the requirement that you had to have 200 hours of teaching to eventually test for your Black Belt.

:asian: KenpoDragon

Two hundred hours?? That's the equivalent of teching every single class for one and a half years in our club! That does seem a little excessive...!

Ian.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Actually, we have the same requirement (200 hours). Most of our assistant instructors start teaching at blue/green so they have several years to fulfill the requirement. It only becomes a difficulty if someone doesn't like to teach or is so talented that they are racing through the rank charts. In our school the rank of black belt also means that you are an instructor, if you won't teach, you won't reach black.

Lamont

T

tonbo

Very similar at our school, Blindside.

Part of our requirements from Brown on up is to spend 50 hours in each rank (Brown, 1st deg. Brown, 2nd Deg. Brown, 3rd Deg. Brown) teaching. That equals up to 200 hours between Brown and Black.

On the other hand, this is not so bad, if you figure that most students are taking quite a while to go from Brown to Black. Students can teach in one class per night, two times a week. That isn't all that much to give back, all things considered.

The point behind our requirement is twofold: we want to develop leaders and teachers, not just "karate guys"; and, let's face it.....when you have to teach the material to others, it really helps cement it for your own development.

Peace--

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
I/We require 50 hours for each level of Brown and then 100 for Black. This is not solo teaching, I supervise all of it. My students, on avrage, have the opportunity to garner up to 12 hours per week.

D

Disco

We allowed all belts to teach the belt under them, all through the ranks. Two fold reason. One: It helps them understand what they have just learned because now they are explaining it to someone under/behind them. Two: It helps to bring people out of there shells, so they can interface and respond to other people and get to know their fellow students. Senior Ranks oversee when this is happening, just to make sure it's being done correctly.

K

Kenpomachine

We don't have a certain degree to assist the teacher in his/her class. One of them let's orange belts do the warm up, the other only brown and black belts. One of them does all the teaching, the other has browns teaching whites some things (he later supervises it all) and purples helping yellow and white with their forms and techniques.
So it doesn't only depends on the school but the teacher.

don bohrer

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I had to teach just after obtaining my gold belt. I am all for teaching, but not at the expense of your own personal hands on time. There's a balance to be kept. However I was glad to be able to help and teach others. Especially the adults. I love kids but I'm like the Bill Murry Ground Hog Day movie... Over and Over... :D