Steven Seagal and Jesse Emkamp

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
One from a couple of the known Mob Bosses or Hitman (on Youtube) said that he's beholden to the Mob....as in, he made some deal w/them to save his life (from something) = keep pumping out crappy movies for them. That's why it doesn't even look like he cared about any of them, at 1-3 per year, for the past 15+ years straight!

Then I bet there's a bunch of "MeToo" situations that he's avoiding possible criminal prosecution from, by immigrating to Russia.
Seagal was shaken down and extorted by Gambino family capo Anthony Ciccone, and his associates Primo Cassarino, Vincent Basso, and Julius Nasso, Seagals close friend and ex business partner.

The mafia dudes are on FBI tape joking about it. It led in part to their RICO indictments, This is all official court record, and Seagal testified against them openly. He tried to get another major crime family (the Genovese) to help him out, and asked for a pardon for Julius in 2013.

That's the real reason he's been in Russia all this time. Its the Witness Protection Program for celebrities who can't hide their faces. Edward Snowden pulled the same trick.

Yanli

Green Belt
Reaction score
He got in trouble for doing that.

Otherwise surprise surprise. Another successful big Aikido guy.

Look. I have tried standing wrist locks on uncooperative people a lot. And the method Segal uses doesn't ever seem to work very well.

There is just too much that can go wrong. And you are relying too much on that snap of a technique. And a fight is so fast and so risky that I don’t feel it is a reliable approach.

Bear in mind if you don't grab their arm in these sequences. They can punch you in the face and you basically can't stop them.

And so it either straight up doesn't work or it hurts people or it does both.

And there are much easier ways to hurt people if that is your jam.

What I did find worked is shutting down their options. Breaking their structure and hitting the lock from a safe position using a methodical approach.

Here is an exampleof Aikido performed live.
You are completely correct that with Aikido, you need to have snap movements, but, it does work. With any MA you need snap movements, that's what you need to train at. With Joe Shmoe, you do not to be as quick, but with a fellow MA you need to be really quick.

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
Seagal was shaken down and extorted by Gambino family capo Anthony Ciccone, and his associates Primo Cassarino, Vincent Basso, and Julius Nasso, Seagals close friend and ex business partner.

The mafia dudes are on FBI tape joking about it. It led in part to their RICO indictments, This is all official court record, and Seagal testified against them openly. He tried to get another major crime family (the Genovese) to help him out, and asked for a pardon for Julius in 2013.

That's the real reason he's been in Russia all this time. Its the Witness Protection Program for celebrities who can't hide their faces. Edward Snowden pulled the same trick.

that sounds pretty good.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think I saw that movie...

J. Pickard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It really seems like Jessie is just looking for "gold nuggets" wherever he can find them and I'm sure there was one or two he got from talking with Seagal, but if you see a bar of gold sitting on top of a pile of trash are you going to just take the gold or the whole pile of trash?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It really seems like Jessie is just looking for "gold nuggets" wherever he can find them and I'm sure there was one or two he got from talking with Seagal, but if you see a bar of gold sitting on top of a pile of trash are you going to just take the gold or the whole pile of trash?
Well, as they say in Yorkshire "where there's muck there's money"😄

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably the whole pile. Because if there's a bar of gold on top, what else might be buried in it?

J. Pickard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Probably the whole pile. Because if there's a bar of gold on top, what else might be buried in it?
Why would you take the whole pile with you instead of just sorting for the gold and leaving the trash?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
One man's trash is another's treasure, everything has a price.
As my brother used to say, one man's gauche is a another man's Gucci. Reminds me of this song:

Well, can't you hear me selling rag and bone?
Bring out your junk and we'll give it a home
A broken trumpet or a telephone
A-come on, a-come on, a-come on
Come on and give it to me, yeah

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why would you take the whole pile with you instead of just sorting for the gold and leaving the trash?

In theory there might be a whole foundational thing you might be missing. But it depends how much trash there is.

So say you took dance classes to improve your boxing. It would probably be easier just to do the whole class rather than figure out which bit helps your footwork.

But then I wouldn't put myself through training with Steven segal for that one nugget of martial truth I would find.

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
I respect Jesse Enkamp much more than Steven Seagal. The "training sessions" with Anderson Silva and Lyoto Machida might have been nothing more than publicity opportunities for Steven Seagal. It's a shame, really. He had the world in his hands after his early movies.

Why would it only be for publicity opportunities only?

Seagal is still, a real, high level Aikido teacher. Whether or not he taught them anything effective, it was still his best effort.

And Jesse Enkamp is not very good. Here's an excellent breakdown by a guy that I don't particularly like, but he's right.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Seagal is still, a real, high level Aikido teacher. Whether or not he taught them anything effective, it was still his best effort.

And Jesse Enkamp is not very good. Here's an excellent breakdown by a guy that I don't particularly like, but he's right.

I thought the commentary on Jesse's karate "match" was accurate, IF it was a full contact match. Clearly, it wasn't. It was a friendly, point-type, light sparring practice session. Neither fighter drove in or applied much power, much less tried to cause any damage to the other, obviously by design. Still, I would have liked to have seen more close-in hand techniques. I've seen a couple of video clips of his tournament sparring which showed significantly more aggressiveness. I think this is a case of apples and oranges and so the "Wolfman's" critique was unfair. He definitely had his won agenda

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Yeah. I don't think so.

I think Jessie did like 3 months prep for that fight. So basic fight camp. His brother, who is a legit MMA fighter was his coach and corner. So he didn't lack for good mentorship.

Oliver encamp is legit.
Fights on Belator.

Dan the wolfman fights on ultimate wrestling Minnesota.

The issue Dan the wolfman has is he is trying to make Jessie fight like Dan. And that would have ended up tragically worse.

Staying on the outside. Using foot work to fire off the techniques karate is good at is precisely what Jessie should have been trying to do.

Now if he is not as good at pulling that off as the other guy was at shutting it down. Then that is just fights. Sometimes you are not as good as the other guy.

So for example. Here is Cooper Royal. Also a karate guy. Who is using a similar idea. Just is slicker at executing it.

And this is his 2nd fight. So sort of comparable cage experience.

A title fight.

And is literally having the same sort of issues Jessie Encamp did against that same sort of smother grapple style fighter.

]

Last edited:

Latest Discussions