Steven Seagal and Jesse Emkamp

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
I respect Jesse Enkamp much more than Steven Seagal. The "training sessions" with Anderson Silva and Lyoto Machida might have been nothing more than publicity opportunities for Steven Seagal. It's a shame, really. He had the world in his hands after his early movies.

Personally, I think that Silva & Machida were just starstruck and they're hoping for a possible movie/acting career after their bodies failed them after all of that abuse. I mean, I can say crap about Seagal online but if I saw him in person, I'd be starstruck too and will beg for a picture.

His first 3 movies were really good. It gave a new perspective into the MA Action Movies; before that it was usually all Kung-Fu or Karate. I still enjoy his 1st movie.

One from a couple of the known Mob Bosses or Hitman (on Youtube) said that he's beholden to the Mob....as in, he made some deal w/them to save his life (from something) = keep pumping out crappy movies for them. That's why it doesn't even look like he cared about any of them, at 1-3 per year, for the past 15+ years straight!

Then I bet there's a bunch of "MeToo" situations that he's avoiding possible criminal prosecution from, by immigrating to Russia.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
As far as technique goes. DK Yoo. Looked good untill he had to put it in to practice.

Jessie Encamp on the other hand. Not too bad.

Cool video. I like the line about sparring. “This is not fighting, but training for fighting.”

OP
M

Mider

Brown Belt
Reaction score
In regards to Sensei Steven Seagal's technique, (the question asked) I thought he showed good, crisp, clean and accurate technique. In other words, he looked great executing the techniques on his willing partners.
Hat's off to Jesse Enkamp for bringing different styles of martial arts to us. Hat's off to Sensei Seagal for showing the world a different style of martial art on screen.
I find it difficult to bash Sensei Seagal...I have to wonder if those that bash him are in some way envious of him. After all, he probably has more money than those of us posting here. He taught Aikido in Japan where the art originated...and he's a gaijin! Who of us here can say we've done that? He was a successful action movie star. There is more than one successful MMA fighter that has thanked Sensei Seagal for his input in their training. And remember this, an accusation is just that, an accusation...just because someone accuses another of something doesn't make it the iron clad truth.
Perhaps if more of us would stick to the task at hand...that being answering the question "how did you guys feel about Seagal Sensei’s technique?" We'd all be a better person. Rather than attacking Steven's character, shaming his body & calling him names, Complete the task; answer the question.
To be fair most demos are not with resisting opponents

MrBigglesworth

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What I did find worked is shutting down their options. Breaking their structure and hitting the lock from a safe position using a methodical approach.

I think you nailed it right here.
They train repetitively to improve their techniques, but kind of expect to naturally get better at the opportunity part as time goes by, by honing their timing to such a degree that they can catch the opponent in the slightest imbalance as they close distance.
This in spite of not training it: they only learn to attack in ways that provide complete surrender/compliance and ample time/freedom to do the technique. Uke offers minimal resistance and only concerns themself on reacting to the technique in order to avoid injury.
There's no training in breaking down structure to overcome resistance and increase their window of opportunity or create new opportunities.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be fair that story about peeing himself is nonsense
I have no personal knowledge of this particular story. However, it's is absolutely true that people who are knocked or choked out do sometimes pee themselves. Happens even more often when they get hit with a tazer.

OP
M

Mider

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I have no personal knowledge of this particular story. However, it's is absolutely true that people who are knocked or choked out do sometimes pee themselves. Happens even more often when they get hit with a tazer.
I’m sure I’m just saying the story about Gene Lebell choking out Seagal on the set of his own film is nonsense

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m sure I’m just saying the story about Gene Lebell choking out Seagal on the set of his own film is nonsense
That I don't know anything about. But...
One of our ER Techs tells me that I am responsible for his first golden shower.
First, I don't even want to know why he specifies it was his first.
Drunk guy. Cute young nurse didn't want to be in the room while he peed, because drunk and poor behavioral choices. But can't let him fall on his face either. So I stayed in the room. He peed, then went off. Nobody in there. Door closed. So I encouraged him to take a short nap and then hit the alarm. He's laying across the gurney. People come in. I ask for help getting him on the cart and getting him restrained before he wakes up. Tech leans down to grab his ankles...

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
That I don't know anything about. But...
One of our ER Techs tells me that I am responsible for his first golden shower.
First, I don't even want to know why he specifies it was his first.
Drunk guy. Cute young nurse didn't want to be in the room while he peed, because drunk and poor behavioral choices. But can't let him fall on his face either. So I stayed in the room. He peed, then went off. Nobody in there. Door closed. So I encouraged him to take a short nap and then hit the alarm. He's laying across the gurney. People come in. I ask for help getting him on the cart and getting him restrained before he wakes up. Tech leans down to grab his ankles...
Thats a day wrecker for sure. I don’t see how that is your fault, location, location, location. It’s why I never take feet on transfer from OR tables, I’m not fond of a code brown.

Cynik75

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Rokas about Steven S. and Jesse E:

And if somebody do not know Rokas and Jesse have fought a few day ago in MMA (links on their channels)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rokas about Steven S. and Jesse E:

And if somebody do not know Rokas and Jesse have fought a few day ago in MMA (links on their channels)
Didn't have time to finish watching the first (and haven't gotten to the second), but so far Rokas is doing a pretty good job breaking this down. As always, the most important comment is that it needs some pressure testing. Even sparring against opponents within your own school who have their own intentions goes a long way.

And his comment about the individual techniques (they are effective in the situation they are practiced in, but how the heck do you get to that position) is spot-on. And again, something that is brought to the fore in pressure testing of any kind.

Judo boi

White Belt
Reaction score
A story, yeah, I guess we will never know if it's a true story or not
But a lot of stories have a basis of fact in them, apparently there were numerous witnesses and it would be a strange thing to lie about
Edit- This was in response to Miders last post forgot to quote sozz

OP
M

Mider

Brown Belt
Reaction score
A story, yeah, I guess we will never know if it's a true story or not
But a lot of stories have a basis of fact in them, apparently there were numerous witnesses and it would be a strange thing to lie about
Edit- This was in response to Miders last post forgot to quote sozz
It is based on a true story but it’s become greatly exaggerated

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
It is based on a true story but it’s become greatly exaggerated

OP
M

Mider

Brown Belt
Reaction score
this is another one of Seagal students