Stay safe on Black Friday weekend

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Now it's here. Remember, there are crowds everywhere and emotions are running high. Think of all the people who are stressed out over holiday activity, visits with relatives, and the pressure to get that elusive "perfect" gift. It's a recipe for chaos.

What are you doing to stay safe?

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I will avoid shopping outside during these times.

The early bird catches the worm but a hungry cat catches first bird it sees.
Meaning just because you get the item first come first serve doesn't always mean it is good.
Many people waiting for you to purchase your item and rob you,people may hurt you to get to the aisle first.

Indeed a hungry cat catches the first bird even more so when the conditions are set just right to allure you.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Basic preventive common sense, like every year.

I despise shopping at the best of times. In years past I would stock up on groceries before Thanksgiving so I wouldn't even have to do that. It wasn't an option this year, so I'll just shop in the wee hours. Anything else can be purchased online. All the online sales are a nice bonus at this time of year, and I enjoy taking advantage of that.

I'm always careful not to leave anything attractive sitting around in my car, and I live in an apartment complex so there's no individual driveway for people to scan my trash and packaging to see what shiny new goodies I might be sporting on 12/26.

Otherwise? My home location makes it pretty easy for me to avoid the shopping districts, and if things get really desperate I live right on a city bus route. It's a small town though so I can't imagine there being an issue of that magnitude.

I think the most important thing is a spirit of patience and loving-kindness. We have to be mindful that people are stressed to their limit, and it's important not get caught up in someone's drama just because they're in a hurry or they feel they HAVE to get the last orange paisley veeblefitzer on the shelf. You never know what might be underlying that - it might be grandpa's last holiday and they want it to be perfect. Or they're stretched to the limit in this economy and that veeblefitzer might be the only thing under the tree. Keeping sight of the ideal of Peace On Earth can go a long way toward not only safety but a greater sense of meaning for the holiday for everyone concerned.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now it's here. Remember, there are crowds everywhere and emotions are running high. Think of all the people who are stressed out over holiday activity, visits with relatives, and the pressure to get that elusive "perfect" gift. It's a recipe for chaos.

What are you doing to stay safe?

Personally, I dont do anything different during the 'busy season' that I dont do any other time I'm out and about. My wife and I went to a few stores today, around 8:30/9 o'clockish, this morning. Pulled into the parking lot, and did my usual scan of the parking lot. Lots of cars, lots of people...IMO, its good to look around and see whats going on. I'm not paranoid by any means, but I am aware of whats going on around me. I'm not so wrapped up in what I'm doing, that I dont know whats going on.

I dont carry my wallet where it can be easily taken. When I do take it out, I'm careful about how I do it. In other words, if you're carrying alot of cash, dont flash it around.

Going from one store to the next...be cautious of what you keep in view. Huge parking lots, with more cars than normal are open season to the punks.

My wife is careful with how she carries her purse.

Made it home with no issues today. :) The same will apply when we take our yearly trip to NYC. :)

Latest Discussions