Sprained Knee

romaj

White Belt
Reaction score
I recently sprained my knee during a training session. Is there g elany way to further my learning while it heals up. I plan to still attend classes and observe, but is there anything else I can do?

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd lay off of it. Your knee is huge in escapes, control, etc. I'm assuming your range of motion is reduced?

I suggest eating right and maybe swim (backstroke?) while your knee heals. But a sprained knee can lead to more injury if you keep playing on it while its healing.

How did it get sprained?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you havent already, I'd suggest seeing a doctor. They may refer you to a physical therapist, who can provide you with the proper exercises to strengthen your leg.

As for training...dont train! I hurt my knee while grappling, a few years ago. It sucked, because I couldnt train, and I was walking like I was a 90yo man. As its been said already, your knees play a big part in grappling, and anything else that involves anything other than sitting, so again, take it easy. Go to class, but watch, take notes, etc.

OP
romaj

romaj

White Belt
Reaction score
Yeah I was pretty sure that, this was going to be the case. I couldn't think of anything I could work on that didn't involve the knees. I just thought that maybe I should post something in case there was something I didn't know or didn't think of. All I got is going to class.

I sprained my knee when working out with a partner. She tried jumping and putting me in her guard but she was too low and landed on my knee hyper-extending it. I was lucky that it was just a sprain. I did go to the doctor and got it x-rayed and all that fun stuff which is why I know it's a sprain opposed to an ACL tear or something. So I've got crutches and pain pills.

Thanks for the input. If anyone else can think of anything, I'd be very interested to hear it. I know that probably 99% of all training I can't do but I'm trying to scour for the 1% I can do. Even if it's reading or watching videos.