sparing

C

chiro4

I have found a kempo studio with the website at usaselfdefensecenters.com It is located in Lockport New York. I can only take lessons on Tuesday and Thursday. They have sparing on Sat. The problem is that I work on Sat. I have not signed up with this studio yet because I could not attend the sparing session on Sat. Here is my question? Should I attend classes with the school since I can not attend sparing? It is called The international school of self defense.

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to the Boards Chiro,

I think I would be hesitant about any school that offers distance learning study.. but that's just me..

As for the sparring, depending on what you wish to get out of your system, self defense, or tournament trophies, or the whole nine yards with everything including sparring, you need to decide that for yourself.

I, myself love to spar and in our school we spar from white belt on up. Some schools don't have their members spar til they have some background and rank. All differs, from school to school.

After perusing that particular site, I'm inclined to say.. *tread warily*

Good luck in your quest.

~Tess

OP
C

chiro4

I do not want to win trophies. I can only go to class on Tuesday and Thursday. There is a international martial arts school in Lockport that teaches adult classes on Tuesday and Thursday. I can not attend the sparing class on Sat because of work. There is another school in Lancaster, new york that teaches Isshinryu, kenpo and aikido. The school in Lancaster also teaches Judo, Jujitsu, boxing, arnis and roman greco wrestling with sparing on Tuesday and Thursday. Here is my choice. I can attend the school in Lockport with no sparing and also learn kata or I can go to the school in Lancaster with sparing and no kata. What is my best choice? The school in Lancaster does not teach kata.

OP
B

bzarnett

chiro4 said:
I have found a kempo studio with the website at usaselfdefensecenters.com It is located in Lockport New York. I can only take lessons on Tuesday and Thursday. They have sparing on Sat. The problem is that I work on Sat. I have not signed up with this studio yet because I could not attend the sparing session on Sat. Here is my question? Should I attend classes with the school since I can not attend sparing? It is called The international school of self defense.
Find out if this is the only time they do sparring. Sometimes they have additional classes that are just sparring oriented but including sparring as well in the main class.

OP
C

chiro4

The school in lockport only teaches sparing on Sat which I can not attend.

Latest Discussions