Sorry for another question like this, but I need advice

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thank you guys so much. Great direction. I truly appreciate all the help. I will take all the posts and visit several for a month or so. Fortunately, Dallas has a lot of options so it should keep me pretty busy.

Meanwhile, I will continue on my fitness goals. Thank you all once again for taking the time to offer your experience.
Hey good luck in finding something suitable. Hope you stick around and let us know what happens :)

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wing chun is an excellent option. I am biased because that is what I study, but then again...most martial artists will think their art is the best one. Otherwise, why wouldn't they study something else?

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Also, believe it or not, the base line of skill needed to defend yourself against the average Joe or Jane is lower than you think.
It may be true, but do not be overconfident since often we do not know the intentions, determination and skill of that Joe...
Perhaps no training is also enough. Perhaps a few years training is still short... Prevention is king. Training is (for) fun. :)

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Doment, there are Krav Maga scools in the DFW area. Also Judo schools. Both are compatible with Firearms.

FMA with WC/VT, is good as well.

Those are my picks for your situation.

Firearms training is big in Texas.
And no shortage of that in the DFW area.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
It may be true, but do not be overconfident since often we do not know the intentions, determination and skill of that Joe...
Perhaps no training is also enough. Perhaps a few years training is still short... Prevention is king. Training is (for) fun. :)

Well put.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
In my mind, I think you should always train as if everyone is better, and you need to catch up. That way, you will always push yourself, instead of saying, "Well, I'm good enough."

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look for tactical training, firearms training, improvised everyday carry training.

If you want a prolonged study of martial things, do the above and take martial classes.
So, you expect carrying a gun to take care of the full range of self-defense needs? I disagree rather vehemently with that. It's a weapon, and one you can't legally bring to bear in every self-defense situation. It's also dangerous to bring to bear in some situations. In my opinion, everyone carrying a gun should have some empty-hand training both for retention and to provide non-lethal alternatives.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
So, you expect carrying a gun to take care of the full range of self-defense needs? I disagree rather vehemently with that. It's a weapon, and one you can't legally bring to bear in every self-defense situation. It's also dangerous to bring to bear in some situations. In my opinion, everyone carrying a gun should have some empty-hand training both for retention and to provide non-lethal alternatives.

I wish I had known that before I shot that dude just because he spit in my face.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One dude let his shadow fall on my car, so I emptied a revolver in him
Hope you at least moved him away from your hood before you did, a full respray aint cheap :)

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thank you. If someone is familiar with this area that would be great.

This forum has members from all around the world, so there probably won't be anyone from exactly your town that can give you advice.

I'd recommend that you look around online and see what's in your area. If you find that there are 5 or 10 schools that are within a reasonable drive and have classes that fit your schedule, and you're not sure where to start, then post up some links on here and we can look at their websites. There's only so much you can learn from a website, but people may be able to go "oh, that school is part of a chain that's known to be bad", or "that style is usually pretty good and the teacher's got good credentials" or "that place seems fishy and I think the teacher made up their rank" or whatever.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The only objection I have to taking BJJ for self defense as Buka mentioned above is going to the ground is not always the safest option. The ground can have lots of debris or broken glass that can end up harming you, or the guys buddies can end up stomping you while you are wrestling them on the floor. With much of Judo you knock them off balance/throw them and well, gravity and the concrete does the rest of the work for you :D.

LoL! I thought we had heard the last of the broken glass and debris argument against ground fighting. Learning how to fight off your back and on the ground is invaluable for numerous reasons. Further any Bjj school worth its salt is going to teach you how to fight on your feet as well, so no worries there.

It also helps that there's some VERY good Bjj options in his area.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
LoL! I thought we had heard the last of the broken glass and debris argument against ground fighting. Learning how to fight off your back and on the ground is invaluable for numerous reasons. Further any Bjj school worth its salt is going to teach you how to fight on your feet as well, so no worries there.

It also helps that there's some VERY good Bjj options in his area.

I attempted to summon you Hanzou, i gathered broken glass and cauliflower ears along with rash gaurds and a brazlian flag, not to mention a gi covered head to toe in patches and placed each object at the end of a five pointed star. The last step of was to make that post. And boom here you are.

It worked.

Latest Discussions