Some interesting points from Klaus Brand

Callen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Well, he does call himself a "Grandmaster of Wing Chun"... Guess he feels entitled to find "mistakes" in other Wing Chun system's core principals, assuming he'll be following up with how his system provides unique answers to those mistakes mentioned.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am so lost when I read that article. It made me ask myself one question: why does this guy even bother practicing Wing Chun, given how many principles he finds incorrect?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

He seems to be over-reacting to some of the approaches taught in the EWTO ...where he came from. His WC has moved so far from it's WT roots that it almost looks like Karate -- at least in terms of how "hard" it is. The only thing he hasn't changed is his uniform and hair-style which are a close copy of Leung Ting as he dressed and looked back in the 80s.

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with a few of his points:

-guard hands too low
-too much weight on back leg
-too many punches per second
-punching always from the centre
-not using power (or just being weak in general)

Obviously we can talk about the advantages and disadvantages of having a back heavy stance for hours, but the low guard and throwing 1000 weak chain punches per second seems to be a big problem at least in my opinion that I see to often.

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree with a few of his points:

-guard hands too low

Obviously we can talk about the advantages and disadvantages of having a back heavy stance for hours, but the low guard and throwing 1000 weak chain punches per second seems to be a big problem at least in my opinion that I see to often.

I agree with you Dan and had reached the same conclusion. I think the article is a bit over-stated at times, but had good points in those areas. Most modern fighters are definitely "head hunters" and WCK guys typically hold their guard too low. Not having enough power and trying to throw the typical flurry of chain punches is also an all too common problem. Punching from the center I did not agree with as he stated it. But you included the qualification "always"...which is what I would agree with. There is nothing wrong with punching from the center. However, all too often that is the ONLY way WCK guys seem to know how to punch. To be really effective you have to be able to punch well from multiple angles. That's why I really like the way JKD will use hooks, shovel hooks to the body, overhand punches, etc as well as Wing Chun punches.

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
There isn't anything inherently wrong with the points he's making, but if you watch his demos its quite clear that the solutions he's coming up with are worse than the original problem:

Reactions: KPM

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with you Dan and had reached the same conclusion. I think the article is a bit over-stated at times, but had good points in those areas. Most modern fighters are definitely "head hunters" and WCK guys typically hold their guard too low. Not having enough power and trying to throw the typical flurry of chain punches is also an all too common problem. Punching from the center I did not agree with as he stated it. But you included the qualification "always"...which is what I would agree with. There is nothing wrong with punching from the center. However, all too often that is the ONLY way WCK guys seem to know how to punch. To be really effective you have to be able to punch well from multiple angles. That's why I really like the way JKD will use hooks, shovel hooks to the body, overhand punches, etc as well as Wing Chun punches.
I agree 100%.

Cephalopod

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm all in favor of the importance of striking power...but...
If one may dare to judge from his videos, it seem that he and I have differing opinions on what power, well, is.

Imagine if you will...

Tiger Woods has just smoked off a 380 yard drive. He pauses at the end of the swing. His arms and shoulders are flexed and his veins are bulging. His whole body trembles and quivers from the effort. The end of his club shakes erratically. His reddening face is locked in a grimace of supreme exertion...

Sounds ridiculous? Of course!

Why is it any less ridiculous for a fighter / martial artist?

Last edited:
Reactions: KPM

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The one puch a second was a bit silly. I am all for hitting people hard. But i am pretty sure i can get a combination in a bit faster than that.

I also spar guys who are notorious for not dropping from a single punch

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

You could to a certain level get away with pretty much just straight punching. But you would need to constantly cut angles better than they do.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score

When I read @Danny T 's response I wanted to say "so he wants to study TWC" ;). The higher guard and largely 50/50 weight distribution are among the things often pointed out as different from other YM derived WC Lineages.

However I don't see the rest as actually being reality in any WC I am aware of, if they exist they exist because of the teacher, not the art. Yeah back in the 80's Sigung Cheung was tested by the University of Boston and punched for an average of over 8 punches a second that was demonstration only and we largely use chain punching simply as a training tool, it's not really a focus when it comes to fighting. This, in my experience is true of most Wing Chun.

Same with strikes, primarily WC strikes along the center line but I also have seen practitioners of other WC Lineages use an "L-Hook" punch (we call it a "Buffalo punch" in my school) as just one example.

Now I don't know the specifics of the WC taught by the Ting organization but based on my experience and research I got the feeling from reading that most of the "issues" he sees are things born of either his own ignorance, or he knows better but wants to take advantage of the ignorance of those whose experience with WC comes from a brief dabble, bad Sifu and/or YouTube videos.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
He seems to be over-reacting to some of the approaches taught in the EWTO ...where he came from. His WC has moved so far from it's WT roots that it almost looks like Karate -- at least in terms of how "hard" it is. The only thing he hasn't changed is his uniform and hair-style which are a close copy of Leung Ting as he dressed and looked back in the 80s.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Based upon the Wing Chun training I have and other lineages I've been exposed to I'm of the opinion this is not the same WC I know.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Based upon the Wing Chun training I have and other lineages I've been exposed to I'm of the opinion this is not the same WC I know.
If you are talking about his "new" system, agreed.

I was more speaking to why Brand would make such a new system, while taking obvious pot shots at the "old" since some of those critiques made little sense to me, unless they were gross exaggerations for marketing purposes. Sorry if it came off differently.

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you are talking about his "new" system, agreed.

I was more speaking to why Brand would make such a new system, while taking obvious pot shots at the "old" since some of those critiques made little sense to me, unless they were gross exaggerations for marketing purposes. Sorry if it came off differently.

I think is was an exaggeration for marketing purposes. However, as noted before Dan T and I agree that these points were fairly accurate for far too many WIng Chun people:

-guard hands too low

Latest Discussions