Solo study needing help.

SahYeef

White Belt
Reaction score

Shalom,

My name is Curtis Lankford. I live in Richlands, NC. I want to begin studying Krav Maga, but there seem to be no instructors near where I live. My wife and I have 5 children and my sister and her 3 children live with us. I have purchased the Complete Krav Maga and Krav Maga for Beginners books. I intend to start learning using these books and any online videos/reources I can find until I can find a qualified instructor near here. I have 10 people ages 10-39 that will be learning together. I want to start with a 2 day a week schedule. Can You please give me an idea of what kind of training schedule I should follow like;

Week 1/Day 1: Introduction to Fundamentals, Workout (Cycle through Krav-FIT workout), and Introduce 1 combative and 1 defense.

Week 1/Day 2: Workout/Warmup, Readdress Introductory moves.

Week 2/ Day 1: Workout/Warmup, Introduce 1 Combative, 2 Defenses and 1 Kick.

Also some guide lines for how to test.

Thank You,
Curtis

Remember: No matter where you go. There you are.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
do not do this. you cannot learn in this manner. you cannot trade a good instructor for a book and video. it just does not work that way. You will never get a good understanding of what you are trying to do, your technique will never be good, you could develop lots of bad habits, you could even injure yourself by doing things wrong.

look for a school with a good teacher, where you can get direct instruction, even if it's not krav maga. A good teacher in ANY system is better than a bad teacher or no teacher in a specific system that you think you are interested in.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have to echo Flying Crane. People who are thinking of studying solo don't really want to hear it, but what he said is true. It is impossible to train solo as a beginner and learn correctly to any significant degree.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shalom,

My name is Curtis Lankford. I live in Richlands, NC. I want to begin studying Krav Maga, but there seem to be no instructors near where I live. My wife and I have 5 children and my sister and her 3 children live with us. I have purchased the Complete Krav Maga and Krav Maga for Beginners books. I intend to start learning using these books and any online videos/reources I can find until I can find a qualified instructor near here. I have 10 people ages 10-39 that will be learning together. I want to start with a 2 day a week schedule. Can You please give me an idea of what kind of training schedule I should follow like;

Week 1/Day 1: Introduction to Fundamentals, Workout (Cycle through Krav-FIT workout), and Introduce 1 combative and 1 defense.

Also some guide lines for how to test.

Thank You,
Curtis

Remember: No matter where you go. There you are.

do not do this. you cannot learn in this manner. you cannot trade a good instructor for a book and video. it just does not work that way. You will never get a good understanding of what you are trying to do, your technique will never be good, you could develop lots of bad habits, you could even injure yourself by doing things wrong.

look for a school with a good teacher, where you can get direct instruction, even if it's not krav maga. A good teacher in ANY system is better than a bad teacher or no teacher in a specific system that you think you are interested in.

I have to echo Flying Crane. People who are thinking of studying solo don't really want to hear it, but what he said is true. It is impossible to train solo as a beginner and learn correctly to any significant degree.

Curtis,

What these others have told it is true.

You will find that some will ask you questions and when you do not have the answer and no way to get it they will get bored or frustrated and not train with you, family or not.

There are some who will just not want too as you will be learning with them and so lots of standing around and waiting.

Look at Jacksonville NC near you and see if there is anything there. I could noe find anything on the Krav Maga site, but you may have to call around and ask to see if they have something.

Good Luck

Peace & Harmony

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
i agree with everyone, by you doing things by the video and books, your only going to set yourself up for injury or bad habits as stated above. a book and video can never replace a face to face instructor.

OP
S

SahYeef

White Belt
Reaction score
Let me state that I intend to train with an instructor when I can find a qualified one near enough to afford going at least once a week. BUT until I find one I intend to learn with the tools I have available. I have been and am still searching for an instructor nearby.I absolutely understand the value of training in anything with a qualified instructor.

The suggestion of training in a different art to me falls into the same category as developing bad habits so if that is considered a good alternative, then training solo shouldn't develope an worse "Bad Habits".

As far as my family loosing interest and falling of ... So what? I will learn this for myself by myself if necessary.

So having said all of that is there any one here that could answer my original question?

"Can You please give me an idea of what kind of training schedule I should follow like;

Also some guide lines for how to test."

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Let me state that I intend to train with an instructor when I can find a qualified one near enough to afford going at least once a week. BUT until I find one I intend to learn with the tools I have available. I have been and am still searching for an instructor nearby.I absolutely understand the value of training in anything with a qualified instructor.

The suggestion of training in a different art to me falls into the same category as developing bad habits so if that is considered a good alternative, then training solo shouldn't develope an worse "Bad Habits".

As far as my family loosing interest and falling of ... So what? I will learn this for myself by myself if necessary.

So having said all of that is there any one here that could answer my original question?

"Can You please give me an idea of what kind of training schedule I should follow like;

I'm sorry, I've given you the only advice that I feel is prudent. You are simply wrong in this and I will not encourage it.

I do not wish to discourage your interest in the martial arts. In that, I sincerely wish you the best. But this approach that you are taking, is misguided and is quite frankly a bad idea.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score

I would not suggest it at all. There's a millimeter's difference between good form and injury and at times what you are doing may look like the picture of video but it's really not. Books and videos are at best a reference tool for a student and by no means a primary teaching tool. There is so much about form, mechanics, power, breathing properly into or out of a technique that you just can't get without an instructor.

Keep looking for an instructor and in the mean time work on getting fitter. No use teaching yourself how to punch and kick wrong for months then have it ingrained in muscle memory the wrong way, only to then have to spend 2 to 3 times at beginner level unlearning bad habits and relearning good ones.

Also, I know you have your heart set on KM, but look at other styles too. A good coach is a good coach period and proper movements, mechanics, form can set you on the proper road for when you eventually learn KM.

Tanaka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
How about this...
Find a local martial arts school to learn striking from, and do those Krav Maga books once you get the fundamentals there. And later on when you find Krav Maga school, then you can join the Krav Maga school.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
Find a qualified instructor in some martial art, any martial art, and learn from them. Later, if you find that KM instructor you can make the transition. Teaching yourself from books and video will ingrain bad habits and mucle memory that an instructor will have to train out of you. In my experience, to train out a bad habit you must train 6 times the amount of time it took you to train the bad habit in. That's a lot of wasted time.

I will always encourage anyone who is interested in martial arts to pursue that interest. However, there is a proper way and an improper way to pursue that interest. Unfortunatly, the degree of interest a student such as yourself may have or the availability of quality instruction does not change that.

Good luck finding a place to train!

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Try looking into these "Down East" schools:

title_bullet_02.jpg
Krav Maga North Carolina

Contact Name: Michael Brown Club Name: ATA Black Belt Academy Location: 404 W. Main St. Havelock, NC 28532 Telephone Number:
252 447.1000​
Email Address: website: Association:
Krav Maga Worldwide​
Classes:
Public Classes​

Instructor Profile:-

instructors:
-------------------------

Contact Name: Michael Brown Club Name: ATA Black Belt Academy Location: New Bern Telephone Number:
252 636.5425​
Krav Maga Worldwide​
Classes:
Public Classes​

Instructor Profile:-

instructors:Michael Brown, Ed Preston
-------------------------

Contact Name: Michael Brown Club Name: ATA Black Belt Academy Location: Fayetteville Telephone Number:
910 860.5425​
Krav Maga Worldwide​
Classes:
Public Classes​

Latest Discussions