So you have an Opinion on the Hurricane...

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I see a lot of bickering, finger pointing, etc etc... Hell I even participated...

BUT what have YOU DONE about it? Whats YOUR contribution to helping the situation instead of playing "The Blame Game" to quote another poster?

I'm pretty much on my way to the poorhouse, but I did donate some money to the red cross nonetheless... not as much as I wish I could have, but some...

So what have YOU done, other than complain?

And No, Im not looking for a pat on the back here, I just want to know, honestly, how many of you that are armchair quaterbacking are trying to help...

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Weel I have open my Dojaang up to people from the area for free workouts while they are trying to get stituated, My Dojaaang is holding a kick-a-thon on September 17th to help raise more money. I do not need a pat on the back because GOD is watching over me, I believe alot of people are doing there part without people knowing about it. Americans are silly people we bicker and fight amounst ourself but when push comes to sholve we care about each other.
Master Stoker

modarnis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I sent some clothes and supplies to my displaced New Orleans friends who are regrouping in Colorado and Virginia, donated $$ to the red cross and the LA/SPCA (working hard to rescue/shelter homeless and displaced pets)

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My daughter is organizing a neighborhood relief effort - collecting donations of money, gift certificates, clothing, toys, and personal care items.

Shorin Ryuu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
And No, Im not looking for a pat on the back here, I just want to know, honestly, how many of you that are armchair quaterbacking are trying to help...
Hmm, I was hesitant to post, but if you put it that way...

I've been that guy who's bugging everyone to send me the information for martial arts schools, communities and families that were hurt by Katrina and those that want to help.

I've also donated money, helped to raise money, and matched the funds of others for relief efforts.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My cousin owns and operates his own webcomic @ www.geektragedy.com

Right now he is participating in a Webcomic Telethon hosted by BlackLabel comics. There is a new Webcomic being posted every 20 minutes and people can pledge money for hurrican relief. Last I looked they have pledges in excess of $17,000.

I think this is a really cool idea. Just goes to show that everyone can give/do something to help those that need us most.

Go take a look, enjoy the comics and give if you can. The donation link takes you directly to the Red Cross.

http://www.webcomictelethon.com/

DngrRuss

Orange Belt
Reaction score
This past weekend I hastily organized a Kick-a-thon/Punch-a-thon/Break-a-thon at our local mall during thier annual outdoor Lemon Festival. The money went to Red Cross and Feed the Children. Participating students pledged to do 1,000 punches and 1,000 kicks to raise money. I, and a few other students, did a tremendous amount of board and brick breaking- my body is still trashed.

Over the 2 day festival, we raised over $2,000. We are still counting and receiving pledges.

Great idea for a thread BTW. I've been so busy lately that I haven't been online much, but thought about starting a similiar thread
coolyellow.gif

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've been down to the area twice so far. We took a huge convoy of donated water and various medical supplies. I also participated in refugee placement and transport. We've got several hundred in our small town right now, its really an amazing thing to see everyone pulling together. We also barrowed a huge grill and smoker and went around to several hotels and shelters here in town and cooked out for the displaced peopel in our city....it was both amazing and saddening to spend time with them!

7sm

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
I see a lot of bickering, finger pointing, etc etc... Hell I even participated...

BUT what have YOU DONE about it? Whats YOUR contribution to helping the situation instead of playing "The Blame Game" to quote another poster?

I'm pretty much on my way to the poorhouse, but I did donate some money to the red cross nonetheless... not as much as I wish I could have, but some...

So what have YOU done, other than complain?

Donated money to the Red Cross

I changed my for profit seminar on 10/1/05 in Alma to a benefit seminar to go to the Red Cross. My Company will match the donation, and thereby doubling the effort.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sending clothing this weekend...

Sending myself to Mobile shortly to help with backend technical support of the people that have to go work insurance claims of all kinds related to the storm. This is job related & therefore part of my salary, not a headhunting contractor fee.

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
i helped send my schools Rescuse and relief majors/team down there for a week, donated to the red cross and prayed for them. I have my thoughts nad my ideas about how things could have been better but as i stated before everyone knew a big storm was coming chose to not leave and now they get to deal with what ever comes there way

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
We have an envelope in the waiting room. At first, we encouraged folks to make a donation to the envelope (already addressed to the red cross). Now, in light of the growing nature of the tragedy, we are encouraging patients to make their checks out to the red cross, instead of us, and stuffing the envelope. We'll hit a cash crunch, I'm sure, but nothing like the displaced and homeless. Can you even begin to imagine what it must be like to have lost everything but the bag in your hands?

Regards,

Dave

K

Kempogeek

At a diner that my dad and I go for breakfast twice a week, I donate $5.00 to the Red Cross box there. So that's about $10.00 a week. Wish it could be more but anything is better than nothing. Im looking to donate more after I finish paying off my car this year. Im sure they will needing donations for a long time and I'll continue to contribute......Regards, Steve