Skunked again!

dart68

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I went for a special late season elk hunt at the recomendation of a coworker and got skunked again. The weather here has been until lately too warm and the elk had not moved down yet. With the recent storms, I'm sure they're on the way, but I won't be there. CURSES!

I guess it'll be like the Broncos, wait till next year!

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That really bites. I haven't had time to do any hunting in a long, long time. We don't have elk here but we have some monster white tail and black bear. When I read the thread title I thought you'd been sprayed by a skunk!:boing2: My dog and I very nearly had that happen earlier this week. Had I not had a good grip on his leash we would have.

OP
D

dart68

Orange Belt
Reaction score
That really bites. I haven't had time to do any hunting in a long, long time. We don't have elk here but we have some monster white tail and black bear. When I read the thread title I thought you'd been sprayed by a skunk!:boing2: My dog and I very nearly had that happen earlier this week. Had I not had a good grip on his leash we would have.

There are skunks that live around my house (which is in the city). I used to have an alaskan malamute that could not smell the skunk odor. One night he cornered a skunk but despite the skunk's best efforts, my dog wouldn't back off. He wasn't attacking the skunk, he just cornered it and kept barking at it. My dog stank for weeks (or so it seemed)!

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are skunks that live around my house (which is in the city). I used to have an alaskan malamute that could not smell the skunk odor. One night he cornered a skunk but despite the skunk's best efforts, my dog wouldn't back off. He wasn't attacking the skunk, he just cornered it and kept barking at it. My dog stank for weeks (or so it seemed)!
My dad had a hound dog when he was a kid back in the '40s that could kill a skunk so quickly that the skunk never had a chance to spray. He'd dart in from the front and as they were turning to spray he catch them in the back of the head and...crunch.

Now that I've managed to hi-jack your thread from elk to skunk I think I should probably be polite enought to steer it back to larger game.:wink: When you go hunting for elk what kind of gear do you take with you? For white tail, being alot smaller than elk, it only really requires your weapon of choice, a sharp knife and a piece of rope to tie onto the deer for dragging him out of the woods.

OP
D

dart68

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My dad had a hound dog when he was a kid back in the '40s that could kill a skunk so quickly that the skunk never had a chance to spray. He'd dart in from the front and as they were turning to spray he catch them in the back of the head and...crunch.

Now that I've managed to hi-jack your thread from elk to skunk I think I should probably be polite enought to steer it back to larger game.:wink: When you go hunting for elk what kind of gear do you take with you? For white tail, being alot smaller than elk, it only really requires your weapon of choice, a sharp knife and a piece of rope to tie onto the deer for dragging him out of the woods.

My weapon of choice for elk is Savage 110E in 7mm mag. I use a 160 gr nosler partition bullit and I sight in 3 inches high at 100 yds. Its good to go dead on all the way out to 350 yds. But that's a loooooong shot! I take with me at least two knives and a hand axe and a hack saw with a course blade. I also take honing sticks or a stone to touch up the knives. Other items include the frame from a back pack, rope, and a head lamp (for dressing out in the dark).

I've never hunted white tail, but I love mule deer. I bow hunt for mule deer. Its warmer and there are far fewer people in the woods. I've never gotten a buck, but I've gotten a couple of trophy class does!

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, that gear list sounds like what I've heard on the hunting shows. White tail are usually light enough (around 200lbs or less) that you don't need to do anything more than gut them to drag them back to the trail head. 350 yards around here is almost unheard of as we just don't have that kind of open space. Plenty of woods and mountains to get in the way of a shot like that. The area that I live in (and will hunt next season time allowing) is dense enough that my shotgun or my wifes' Marlin 336C chambered in 35 Rem will do nicely.

OP
D

dart68

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, that gear list sounds like what I've heard on the hunting shows. White tail are usually light enough (around 200lbs or less) that you don't need to do anything more than gut them to drag them back to the trail head. 350 yards around here is almost unheard of as we just don't have that kind of open space. Plenty of woods and mountains to get in the way of a shot like that. The area that I live in (and will hunt next season time allowing) is dense enough that my shotgun or my wifes' Marlin 336C chambered in 35 Rem will do nicely.

As it turns out I just might get another crack at them elk. The season lasts till the end of the month and I might be going back for the last weekend. Word is that they have finally moved down into the wintering areas where I was hunting before. We'll see.

texasmr2

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I gotta take this thread OT just for a moment so you and I can laugh at myself once again! In '74 when my brother and I were making the road trip from Houston to Fort Collins, CO and it was early in the morning somewhere in north TX I think and we are driving through farm country. I was the typical 11yr old and alway's hungry and I caught the smell of bacon being cooked and said something like "Good god that bacon smell's good I'm so hungry". Well my dad's friend who was making the trip back to CO from Houston was driving and he busted out laughing and said "boy have your nose checked because that's a skunk not bacon"!

To this day that was the best smelling skunk I have ever smelt!

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My father has a .300 savage lever action but it needs cleaning and re-bluing and a good scope. I always wondered if that was a good one for Elk... at close range I suppose. That caliber of round I don't know too well... only that it's powerful.
I hope to go hunting again someday. I havent' killed anything in a long time.

Latest Discussions