Skipping training out of laziness

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't worry until 2 weeks go by. I try to build bonds with people so that they have other reasons to show up for martial arts. The company that we keep plays a deep role as to who comes back after a long time.

If those relationships aren't there then it's easier to walk away. When I go missing people ask about me. When they go missing and come back always tell them it's good to see them again.

poetically speaking, warriors on the same path is a good feeling to be around.
This is very true. The places that have a sense of community make it more likely folks come back - they miss the people more. My primary instructor really wanted a sense of community, but wasn't very good at fostering it. I know another NGA guy who has cookouts and gatherings for his folks. His retention was always better.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
At 72 years old I have discovered every reason (read, "excuse") there is to not work out. I've even made some up myself. Yes, it is perfectly normal to slack off and just be lazy. For example, I skipped jogging today. I've gone thru numerous such periods since starting my training almost 60 years ago. What brings me back to it?

The answer is below and could not have been better expressed:
this is part of my core identity
It's more than habit or self-discipline. That will take you only so far. It's who you are. Maybe since you're young this identity isn't yet fully imprinted into your DNA, but from what I've seen from you, it will be. I hate going to the gym and pump weights - it's WORK! But I go 3 times/wk for an hour torturing my ancient body. I can't go more than a couple of days without going thru a few kata. I'm just drawn to it.

I AM a martial artist, and working out is what martial artists do. It's that simple. To not work out is to deny my "core identity." So, my advice to you is to keep affirming who you are. See yourself as martial artist or even just someone dedicated to physical fitness, a professional in that field. Working out is part of your job description. If that is really you, you have little to worry about. Take a lazy day, or week, or even month. Before too long you'll be back to working out, being who you are. Who else can you be?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
At 72 years old I have discovered every reason (read, "excuse") there is to not work out.
When you have reached to 75, the word laziness will no longer have meaning to you. You will find out that you have 2 options:

- Still work out as usual. You will feel good mentally as you were still in your 20. But physically your body feel tire. Even when you wake up next day, your body still feel tired.
- Reduce your workout. You will feel like an old man (very sad feeling indeed QAQ). But your body feel fresh next day when you wake up.

HighKick

Brown Belt
Reaction score
When you have reached to 75, the word laziness will no longer have meaning to you. You will find out that you have 2 options:

- Still work out as usual. You will feel good mentally as you were still in your 20. But physically your body feel tire. Even when you wake up next day, your body still feel tired.
- Reduce your workout. You will feel like an old man (very sad feeling indeed QAQ). But your body feel fresh next day when you wake up.
Well crap, I am already feeling that way at 60!

Latest Discussions