situations that teens get into

samurai69

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have been asked to run some 1.5 hour courses at a local school.....the ones i have a problem with are the male teens of about 17 or 18 years old, what i would like is an idea of the situations, that boys of that age are likely to get into

These introductions are as a result of some attacks that have happened near the school, i already run WSD courses at the school and will be running some mixed SD classes..............the talks are about awarness and prevention and then if they want to persue things they can sign up for our extended courses

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've worked with teens for the last 12 years or so...and I'll tell you, a teenage boy, 16-19, can get themselves into some horribly dangerous circumstances. It's very hard to tell of a scenario that they're "Likely" to face. I'd say begin with worst case scenarios and work your way lighter.

not easy

Your Brother
John

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
samurai69 said:
I have been asked to run some 1.5 hour courses at a local school.....the ones i have a problem with are the male teens of about 17 or 18 years old, what i would like is an idea of the situations, that boys of that age are likely to get into

These introductions are as a result of some attacks that have happened near the school, i already run WSD courses at the school and will be running some mixed SD classes..............the talks are about awarness and prevention and then if they want to persue things they can sign up for our extended courses

The situations could be endless. I suggest keeping is simple, starting with some basics and working up from that point. Some basic strikes, kicks, defense against grabs, strikes, etc. would be a good place to start.

Mike

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree wit Mike here in keeping it simple. Even down at the dojo for a regular class you cannot possibly cover every "what if" or every possible technique. I would trim it down to showing them simple self-defense off of punches, grabs both one and two handed, and chokes. I would not throw to many techniques at them a this is probably just a crash course for ost of them.

Good luck!

in the spirit of bushido!

Rob

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
1.5 hrs?

Basic principles and nothing more.

If you teach them for 1.5 hours you'd be lucky if they retained anything specific for more then 1.5 days afterwards. Demonstrate things if you like, but try to get them interested in starting regular training, show them "cool" stuff. Don't try to teach them "What to do if..." scenarios, they'll be forgotten almost instantly.

If it was a different activity you wouldn't attempt that, if you where teaching chess you'd show how the pieces move, objectives, and let them play, get them interested, not try to teach specific counters to specific situations.

If it was basketball you'd do the same, basic rules, dribbling, shooting, passing, play. Not specific plays and tactics. They wouldn't stick and without the basics aren't that useful anyways.

OP
samurai69

samurai69

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
1.5 hrs?

Basic principles and nothing more.

If you teach them for 1.5 hours you'd be lucky if they retained anything specific for more then 1.5 days afterwards. Demonstrate things if you like, but try to get them interested in starting regular training, show them "cool" stuff. Don't try to teach them "What to do if..." scenarios, they'll be forgotten almost instantly.

If it was a different activity you wouldn't attempt that, if you where teaching chess you'd show how the pieces move, objectives, and let them play, get them interested, not try to teach specific counters to specific situations.

If it was basketball you'd do the same, basic rules, dribbling, shooting, passing, play. Not specific plays and tactics. They wouldn't stick and without the basics aren't that useful anyways.

This is what i want really to get them interested, so they come along to our courses..

the reason on scenarios was as 45 - 60 mins will be talk based i was going to demonstrate something that they could relate too, then broaden it out with some what we do on our course type things

Simple is always the best way IMO

OP
samurai69

samurai69

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Brother John said:
I've worked with teens for the last 12 years or so...and I'll tell you, a teenage boy, 16-19, can get themselves into some horribly dangerous circumstances. It's very hard to tell of a scenario that they're "Likely" to face. I'd say begin with worst case scenarios and work your way lighter.

not easy

Your Brother
John

I dont really want to be technique specific, i was thinking along the lines of verbal de-escalation type stuff, but as i want to get them to sign up for some longer courses, i would like to get them focussed on a scenario, then hopefully can get them to come along next year

these short courses (1.5hrs) are during school time and the short courses are after school time , so have to be voluntary.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brother John said:

not easy

Your Brother
John

This is so TRUE!

These young men remember rubber bones, they have lots of testerone running in their blood, (* Fall is when it rises the most - Hence Football *) and young men looking to prove to themselves and others what they are made of.

If my future kids, or my nieces, and nephews (* Blood and adopted *) do only 1 / 10 of what I did, then I will be so happy, and I was a reasonable well adjusted young adult (* for the most part ;) *) who avoided drugs and had good grades in school and college.

It is hard to predict what they could find themselves doing.

Teach awareness and avoidance of bad areas, and thinking, which should be part of the SD you mentioned. This will hopefully help them.

Good Luck

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One of the ways you can find out about what situations they find themselves in is to simply ask. Gain their trust that you will keep it confidential and have a simple sit-down and roundtable discussion about the sh-- they find themselves in.
If anything it'll give you (the instructor) a better idea of what kind of SD techs they need to know; jumped from behind, more than one/two attackers, faced with a weapon (knife/gun), etc. etc.
Each area has a unique demographic and thus no one place will have quite the same situations.

Good luck.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We tend to think they'd mostly be in school yard fights, but really, it could be essentially any situation. You may need to pick a focus!

OP
samurai69

samurai69

Blue Belt
Reaction score
MA-Caver said:
One of the ways you can find out about what situations they find themselves in is to simply ask. Gain their trust that you will keep it confidential and have a simple sit-down and roundtable discussion about the sh-- they find themselves in.
If anything it'll give you (the instructor) a better idea of what kind of SD techs they need to know; jumped from behind, more than one/two attackers, faced with a weapon (knife/gun), etc. etc.
Each area has a unique demographic and thus no one place will have quite the same situations.

Good luck.

I think i am going to lean more towards this method, then if they want more they can come to the after school sessions

thanks for the input

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I remember almost getting "stuck" for my money in the girl's bathroom in high school and hearing the boy's was no better. I've talked to a couple of short guys who have had near-assaults in the showers (the drop-the-soap kind) after practice, then for the teens who work there's workplace safety (some close up the Taco Bell at night).

But I like listening to them too. Ask for situations from THEM. In advance, if you can.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In terms of actual teaching, I agree that sticking to the basics--very basic--would be best. Look, if they're beginners, you can't "teach" much in 90 minutes, and you wouldn't want to teach them something that could get an inexperienced person in more trouble than they can handle. Some suggestions: Keeping your hands up in a potentially threatening situation. Distancing. Defusing. Release from a grab. Defending a choke or headlock. Avoiding being slammed into a locker.

HOWEVER, if you want to really impress the guys, then bring along an uke, and show some of the more advanced material in the form of a 5 minute demo after the actual lesson. The message is, "I've taught you some basics, but if you keep coming, you'll eventually reach the stage where you'll be doing this."

I work in high schools, and believe it or not, a lot of the altercations start with something stupid. Somebody insults somebody's girlfriend (or momma). Somebody steals somebody's girlfriend. Somebody bumps into someone in the hallway. Sports team rivalry. (I'd leave the gang warfare for a later lesson)

Good luck.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
check the "on the streat" thread in the same forum. similar idea. more then a few good posts and a some comments that are on your line of thought.

Eric Daniel

Green Belt
Reaction score
samurai69 said:

I am 16 and one of the situations I am more likely to get into is a fight with a fellow student for talking trash. I am not saying I will but I think that is what happens a lot. A couple days ago in class there was a fight because one kid was talking trash about another kids girlfriend and both students were suspended. I think it would be cool to learn how to AVOID confrontations when possible. To me I don't think I would want to beat up or fight someone for talking trash. I think this situation could have been avoided.

OP
samurai69

samurai69

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.....saw my first group of students yesterday......session went really well

out of the 25 students atleast 18 of them had been mugged

we started with a Q on that and then looked at what had happened in some of the cases then moved on to basic de-escalation then through more bits that i talk about with my other students, types of predator, situational awareness, verbal de-escalation, distancing etc

then for the last 20 mins we covered a few basic SD techniques

showed a pistol disarm ....this got them talking and interested in our new course starting in jan ...........

had a really good response and some positive feedback....and a couple stayed after to ask a few more questions

Thanks again for the ideas

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure if you've done this already, but it may be a good idea to write out a class plan, something for you to use as a guideline for your classes.

Is this anything that you've already done? If so, I'd be interested in hearing about it. We might be able to give some helpful suggestions.:)

Mike

OP
samurai69

samurai69

Blue Belt
Reaction score
MJS said:
Not sure if you've done this already, but it may be a good idea to write out a class plan, something for you to use as a guideline for your classes.

Is this anything that you've already done? If so, I'd be interested in hearing about it. We might be able to give some helpful suggestions.:)

Mike

I have a class plan and course plan for the WSD classes and courses and i sot of followed parts of it as it arrose in the class yesterday

approximately this:

run down of course
statistics
what self defense/preservation is
awareness
the perpetrator
avoidance
de escalation
what if and scenarios
potential weapons
Q and A
some basic techniques usually demonstrated (sometimes)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
samurai69 said:
I have a class plan and course plan for the WSD classes and courses and i sot of followed parts of it as it arrose in the class yesterday

approximately this:

run down of course
statistics
what self defense/preservation is
awareness
the perpetrator
avoidance
de escalation
what if and scenarios
potential weapons
Q and A
some basic techniques usually demonstrated (sometimes)

Looks good!!:ultracool As I said before, I'd start off slow, not getting too deep into techs. that are complicated, but rather sticking with quick, simple, and effective! Have you complied a SD list?

Mike

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sounds great! Wow, why such a high rate of people who have been mugged? That percentage surprises me!

Latest Discussions