Signing With Your Baby

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Xue posted a video and from that I found this other noteworthy watchable video as well.
http://videos.howstuffworks.com/on-networks/3831-signing-with-your-baby-video.htm
Since we are a primarily visual creature it makes sense that babies would associate a sign with something they desire. They get less cranky because they're able to get what they want and immediately because their parent understands what they're wanting. The lady suggested three signs which is okay but babies have the capacity to understand much more than that and improvisation goes a long way. Not improvisation of the signs but the choice of signs used. Since babies are different the parent knows what their child wants more of.
Signing Time is a great video for toddlers and pre-schoolers.

How did you manage to figure out your child's wants and needs before they were able to speak?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
We do a little of it with our son, he has been signing "more" since he was about 7 months old, theoretically he knows "enough" but mostly he just starts playing (throwing) his food. Whenever we walk thorugh the grocery stores he points at something (well, just about everything) and signs for "more." We never got him to sign for what specific food he want though. He is starting to talk now, so I'm not really emphasizing it.

Lamont

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Sure :cuss: make me look bad:tantrum: I post some tripe about the world’s largest pool and you go and post something meaningful :disgust: :uhyeah:

I did not see that video, I am glad you posted it :bangahead:

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sure :cuss: make me look bad:tantrum: I post some tripe about the world’s largest pool and you go and post something meaningful :disgust: :uhyeah:

I did not see that video, I am glad you posted it :bangahead:

Well, now a baby can let you know he wants to fly in his rocket boots to the the world's largest pool!

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We've been doing the signing time videos, too. Our son is 16 months, and is really starting to pick up the stuff fast. (He's been watching it since he was about 5 moths or so.) But since he's getting to that age where he knows what he wants (banana, milk, etc.) we don't have to play the guessing game. He does the sign and points.

The one I can't wait for him to learn is the "it hurts" sign, so we'll know if he has a stomach ache, tooth ache, or headache, and know how to help him.

Plus he's always loved the videos, I don't feel so bad about using them to distract him.

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, now a baby can let you know he wants to fly in his rocket boots to the the world's largest pool!

:lfao:

We've been doing the signing time videos, too. Our son is 16 months, and is really starting to pick up the stuff fast. (He's been watching it since he was about 5 moths or so.) But since he's getting to that age where he knows what he wants (banana, milk, etc.) we don't have to play the guessing game. He does the sign and points.

The one I can't wait for him to learn is the "it hurts" sign, so we'll know if he has a stomach ache, tooth ache, or headache, and know how to help him.

Plus he's always loved the videos, I don't feel so bad about using them to distract him.
As long as he's LEARNING there's nothing bad about using a particular video to distract him. Now if it were a Barney video then ... well... we'd better have a talk.