shuriken

Shizen Shigoku

Purple Belt
Reaction score
ninhito: "Okay let me clarify. Why does the shurikenjutsu have to stop there, like at the shuriken? Why dont they have modernized version of bujinkan (because i dont have a clue what the difference in the X-kans) with everything a little adapt to the way things are now? I know bujinkan does not spar but how do you know you're doing the technique right?"

First of all, shurikenjutsu doesn't stop there. All the different objects and concepts we have been discussing here is part of the basic shuriken training in the Bujinkan.

Second, there is a modernized version of Bujinkan - it's called Toshindo.

Third, the Bujinkan does not need to be "modernized" in order to adapt to the way things are now.

Fourth, some in the Bujinkan do spar. It isn't part of the core curriculum though, nor is it recommended as something that is necessary to learn the art or to "know you're doing the technique right."

OP
E

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
ninhito,

all of your questions regarding the bujinkan and their effectivness should be asked on the traditional side. this thread is only regarding the shuriken as it is used in the modern schools.

shizen,

toshindo is not considered by most to be a modern version of bujinkan... just a modern version of ninjutsu. hayes developed it to be a practicle version of ninjutsu. their are a few toshindo practicioners here that can explain it better than i.

peace

Shizen Shigoku

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Enson: "ninhito, all of your questions regarding the bujinkan and their effectivness should be asked on the traditional side."

The questions he is asking are about comparing Bujinkan to modern schools, so they are ok to ask in the modern section, or maybe since he is mentioning both traditional and modern, the questions belong in the general section.

However, if the question/comment isn't about shuriken, then I agree it doesn't belong here.

"shizen, toshindo is not considered by most to be a modern version of bujinkan... just a modern version of ninjutsu. hayes developed it to be a practicle version of ninjutsu. their are a few toshindo practicioners here that can explain it better than i."

Hayes learned ninjutsu from the Bujinkan, he then "modernized" / updated it / made it practical to modern situations (as if the Bujinkan wasn't up-to-date and modern enough :rolleyes: ).

QED, Toshindo = modern Bujinkan (by transitive property). Of course it isn't really part of the Bujinkan as Hayes has made it entirely separate.

gmunoz

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Mr. Hayes did not learn his ninjutsu from the Bujinkan. His first 3 degree certificates were in Togakure Rye ninjutsu. I don't think that most Bujinkan practitioners would define To-Shin Do as modern Bujinkan, IMO. It isn't Bujinkan or modern bujinkan. To-Shin Do, as Mr. Hayes defines it, is a 21st century application of ninjutsu concepts taught to him from Masaaki Hatsumi.

Mr. Hayes on the other hand does also teach a traditional course if one prefers it. The Shadows of Iga class taught in Dayton also extends a Bujinkan Budo certification signed by Dr. Hatsumi. Even though this is done, it is not a Bujinkan school. To-Shin Do is what it is. A current application of ninjutsu concepts. Bujinkan is different. My two cents.

sojobow

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So much for the Shuriken thread. No one defined what a Shuriken is anyway. Gotta duck those trash cans.

OP
E

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
as it was explained to me:

re: shuriken= a name that was given to discribe the use of projectile weapons. within the spirit of this rtms takes it to a new level using any weapon we can find to learn how to throw it.
the actual meaning of the word... i dont' know.:idunno:

peace

Shizen Shigoku

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The actual meaning of the word is: blade (or weapon) hidden in the hand.

J

jibran

That is more proof that I am very unknowledgeable about budo; I thought shuriken meant hand (shu) released (ri) blade (ken).

Shizen Shigoku

Purple Belt
Reaction score
jibran: "That is more proof that I am very unknowledgeable about budo; I thought shuriken meant hand (shu) released (ri) blade (ken)."

It could mean that; it depends on how it is written. I have always seen shuriken written with the same kanji for 'ura' (inner / hidden) for 'ri.'

手裏剣 shu-ri-ken

手  te / shu = hand
裏 ura / ri = inner / hidden
剣 ken = blade

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
SO Enson...

Shuriken in Tew Ryu...

Can you give (if possible, I know its hard in writing) an example of a shuriken throwing technique (body/hand movement, etc) and what you normaly target with the shuriken when using them?

OP
E

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
SO Enson...

Shuriken in Tew Ryu...

Can you give (if possible, I know its hard in writing) an example of a shuriken throwing technique (body/hand movement, etc) and what you normaly target with the shuriken when using them?
i have not trained personally in shuriken (shurikenjutsu)... sensei doesn't trust me with blades or sharp objects yet! hee hee!;)

from what i have seen it all stems from the spirit and breath within and should be one fluid movement... when i saw it done we were using the targeting boards from century.

K

Kalifallen

which shuriken did you use? flat ones that look like stars or the spike/dart ones?

anyway, you can call a shuriken a shuriken or a shaken. Like you can call a ninja a ninja or a shinobi. Shaken is the catagory name, like knife. A shaken can be any small hand sized throwing object that you can hide in your hand. Shuriken is more specific, like a brand name. And a bo/straight (dart) or hira/flat (star) is the type, like a switch blade. I hope that helps.

Latest Discussions