Should I pick up another art for SD?

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My question is, should I learn a dedicated SD art like krav maga, kapap or even (actually, preferably) wing chun, or would it suffice for me to polish what I have?

Decker,

I've been in TKD for well past 25 years now. 5th dan. And while I still train on Saturdays in TKD, I also play with the Krav Maga boys on other nights.

Let me tell you about the Krav Maga class. I really do like their classes.

Their technique is sort of crude but very physical. They don't put alot of study into a technique to bring out it's best power. The elbows are short stroked, the punches tend to not have any body weight shift behind them, and their kicking is very limited. But do they mix it up on the mat!

Did I say I really like their class?

I have found the traditional martial arts, being part art, tend to be stylized and rigid. But their emphasas on correct technique has it's value! And in our TKD class we break down techniques to basic parts, study and refine the movements, put them back together and end up with very powerful techniues. Same for combinations.

Krav Maga, on the other hand, emphasizes physical strength and psychological aggression. Alot of PT. The techniques are not fancy but they use a far more realistic format to train with (fancy words for attacks on you will be agressive and forceful.) Not at all like TKD self-defense and one-step-sparring!

But both can compliment each other well. And that's why I do both.

Deaf

OP
D

Decker

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks very much everyone for the helpful advice.

The more straightforward options like Krav Maga aren't available to me due to my financial situation. Probably I might take up Wing Chun when the opportunity arises...

My country (Singapore) is also very strict on guns, plus it's a pretty safe place, so that option there isn't required.

Either way, I personally believe that training for self defense is as much in the mindset as well as in physical technique.

Once again, thank y'all very much.

Latest Discussions