Shooting Kills Former Pantera Guitarist.

cashwo

Green Belt
Reaction score
To me this is a VERY sad day. He was a great musician and from what I can tell from being a fan of his music, Dime always tried to make people laugh and just enjoyed life. I personally think that the media blames music when they can't explain why someone did something. I will add this, the officer that responded is a true hero.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The irony of it is we'll never know why he did it.

I'm glad I had the opportunity to see them on the Reinventing the Steel tour when they came up here. He was a great guitarist. Self taught, too. Damn shame.

cashwo

Green Belt
Reaction score
I wish I could have seen them. If this was going on 3 years ago I would have been at that show. I used to live about 5 miles from that place. My wife got to see them on the Vulgar tour.

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
I'm heading home today from a business trip, and I'm sure I'm gonna hear allllllll about this when I get there. Messed up if you ask me. The Alrosa was never a low-key place to go for a show, but I haven't heard of something like this in a while.

cashwo

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've seen quite a few shows there and it didn't feel like a very safe place. Anybody could hop the fence on the patio and just the over all feel of it. I liked the Newport A LOT better.

D

Deuce

Technopunk said:
I heard this on the Radio tonite on my Drive home... they are already trying to blame the Music for motivating the killer.

What do you think?
I think this is complete bull****. The media dosen't have a clue what the motivation was. Pantera is loud, angery metal and something very unfortunate happens, so it has to be the music that's at fault. Give me a break.

From reading that article, it does seem it was aimed at Pantera, at not at the type of music. I think this guy was pissed off at Pantera for some stupid reason. Wouldn't answer his fan mail? Wouldn't let him play lead guitar? Who knows. The point is, this guy was probably very mentally unstabe and obsessive. I'm willing to bet his motivation for the shooting is completely insane. I'm no psyciatrist, but that's my opinion. Maybe I'm just very angered for the loss a great guitarist of one of my favorite bands. Very unfortunate.

psi_radar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Music, if it's good, elicits an emotional response from the listener. As a result, it's always been blamed by some "moral" force or another for corrupting people. Way back in the day, women were sometimes banned from Beethoven's concerts because critics believed the music was too passionate and therefore a catalyst for corrupting their virtue.

This guy, like lots of others, developed a fanaticism over a particular band because the music made a connection with him. Unfortunately, his mental instability morphed this fan-aticism in an evil direction, made him pick up a gun instead of a guitar.

The music doesn't have to be heavy metal to have violent fans. For example, this tragedy happened on the 24th anniversary of Lennon's murder. His music was all about peace, but some unstable guy took him down too.

There's a wider topic in here, and that is, what is the inherent danger of celebrity, and what causes the fan mentality to sometimes turn violent.

On a side note, Dimebag's music kicks some ***. I saw Pantera about 10 years ago in Colorado Springs and wow, I still talk about it. The crowd-surge threw us back a good 25 feet when the music started. RIP Dimebag.

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
he was my favourite metal guitarist.
he will be sorely missed.
my prayers to his family and friends.

shawn

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here is the story as I know it form the local feedback from the musci scene and local radio and XM radio:

Damage Plan was playing at a club in Columbus. A local man who was hanging around outside and kept trying to get in with out paying finally jumped over a back 8' fence and ran for the entrance. The gunman ran inside and headed straight for the stage, and began shooting. He placed four shots into DimeBag the Guitarist, when his chief of security jumped in front of him and was also shot. Both are dead. There were a total of four people killed by the gunman and three others seriously wounded. In the chaos the man was able to reload his weapon and take a hostage. At this point the police arrived, and when the hostage made a move to get away as the gunman brought the gun up towards her head, the officer shot the gunman. The Gunman died.

A local Nurse and EMT on site for the concert, performed CPR on Dime Bag and the others, to no avail.

While the gunman was shooting he was screaming at Dime Bag for breaking up Pantera. He blamed the break up on Dime Bag, and was upset at him.

You can check out more at:

http://www.damageplan.net/

http://closedcoffin.com/damageplan.htm

I am trying to find the site for the Chief of security, as he had no insurance and there is a fund set up to help with the funeral expenses.

I will post that when I ge the information.

Peace

Xequat

Black Belt
Reaction score
I heard on the news that this guy accused Pantera of stealing some of his lyrics. Yeah. Damn shame; he was a great guitarist. Self-taught and creative. He'll be missed.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1494653/20041209/damageplan.jhtml?headlines=true

I heard this on the Radio tonite on my Drive home... they are already trying to blame the Music for motivating the killer.

What do you think?

I wonder if the media said the same thing when John Lennon was shot?

To me, this is a classic example of assassination...not in a political sense. In the Gift of Fear, Gavin DeBecker has an entire chapter on how famous figures face these situations from different people.

In this case, I read recently that the perpetrator thought Pantera ripped off his lyrics. Then he blamed Dime for breaking up the band...and then the shots were fired.

All around, a very sad event. I've seen Pantera three times. Twice in a small club called the Mirage in the Twin Cities and once when they went on tour with Sabbath. He was an artist and he will be missed...along with the other four people who died.

sigh :idunno:

upnorthkyosa

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
psi_radar said:
The music doesn't have to be heavy metal to have violent fans. For example, this tragedy happened on the 24th anniversary of Lennon's murder. His music was all about peace, but some unstable guy took him down too...

Assassins do stuff like this on purpose. I imagine the guy had it planned way in advance so it would fall on that date. How much do ya wanna bet he had a copy of Catcher in the Rye in his pocket?

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I lived in columbus for many years before moving to the UK and I used to do the music scene quite a bit there.

The newport,park avenue,apolo's, and the alrosa..............
I saw pantera all over the country and even got meet dimebag a few times.
specially in columbus.
It is such a shame that an awsome guitarist had to lose his life at all in that matter.....specially in a pit like the alrosa villa.
always been a dodgey place.

RIP DIMEBAG!

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The media loves to demonize any "unsanitary" music, whether it be heavy metal or gangsta rap. I wonder if they'd blame the music if I finally snapped the next time I heard "Rock Your Body" and hunted down Justin Timberlake? ;)

Jeff

R

raedyn

(thanks a lot, Jeff. Now I have that horrid song in my head. Geez. I wouldn't blame you if it made you crazy.)

B

bassplayer

http://www.roadie.net/heroes.htm
Here's a bit passed on from a couple of the guys that worked at the alla rosa.
there's a bunch more on Down's forum in the fishing hole, although you may have to go back a page to see it. www.downboard.com
the jerkoff that shot Dime was discharged from the marines for having schizophrenia. so his mom goes out and buys him a gun for christmas because she was so proud of him for 'getting his life straightened out' and thought he should have a good sidearm.
what a winner....and at the same time, its legal to buy a pistol and give it to someone as a present???