Shootfighting

J

jjmcc

Ive just started shootfighting can anyone tell me how it compares to BJJ? and any tips or helpful advice would be much appreciated thanks all...

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I used to do shootfighting long time ago. Some of the submissions are similar to BJJ. I would say shootfighting is closer to MMA, then BJJ. They spend time with your kickboxing range. Working strikes and combinations. Time is also spent on the ground. Shootfighting doesn't usually wear gi's. While BJJ does wear a gi for alot of their practice. They tend to teach foot and leg locks much sooner then BJJ. They also allow them in competitions, while some BJJ tournements do not allow leg & foot locks. Or at least certain ones (heel hook) comes to mind.

redfang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My experience with shootfighting is that it is a blend of BJJ and thai boxing. Punches and lots of thigh high round kicks are common while standing. With shootfighting tournament rules there is no striking on the ground. So if you're getting eaten up on your feet, you could go to one knee and grappling would ensue. Where I used to train, we had more of a MMA orientation. The submissions that we practiced were a lot of common ones, chokes, arm bars, shoulder locks, ankle locks, knee bars, etc. We would use heel hooks, but were extremely careful with them.

Latest Discussions