Punching Out a Flame

Poggy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi all! :)

OO haven't posted for a while!! eek

I've just started Kick Boxing lessons again :) Wasn't going to until June but i did a bit more research into any local clubs, and found one in town at a time i can go.

Anyway... this post... i just want to know... can you punch out a flame?
I read it in one of Bruce Lees books (well i think it was one of them).
Thing is... i keep doing it (punching the flame out), and i know i'm not that good/fast, so i must be doing it wrong!

Can you do it? How do you do it?

Speak soon, Dan

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The trick is'nt to put the falme out. It is to put out the flame and have the trailing smoke go straight up, instead of any from you. Indiv=cates that you are pulling the punch back at a great er speed

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
i've seen it in video games but never in real life...

now are you just jabbing at it or are you swinging at it

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I remember reading on another message board that, while impressive, punching out the flame on a candle or something similar was actually not very good as far as technique and not very good for your arm

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I wouldn't think that it would be bad for your arm, but you would have to work yourself up to it or you really could injure yourself.

OP
P

Poggy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
lol the flame burnt my finger :p
Doing a jab with the lead arm. Swinging will create a load of wind anyway, so didnt see the point in that. Besides... i dont like swinging. If you swung in a fight, surely you create a huge opportunity for the opponent to get you!

I dont think my arm could hurt anymore anyway! My gf decided to kick my arm when i was doing one armed pushups. It bloody hurts now!!

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you doing it with a jab or a cross? I would think you could get more power/speed up with a cross. Haven't tried it, sounds interesting.

I had to do a spin heel/head level for a recommended black belt test to a match and put it out. That wasn't too difficult. Just speed and target. We practice on throwing up balls and doing spin heels for that. I think the balls were more difficult to learn. TW

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I saw it done on an episode of Kung-Fu once for what it's worth..

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I've never done it or tried to. I don't think I've seen it done before either. But one of my tai chi books does mention this as one way of helping test yourself in jing training. *shrug*

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is a fairly easy thing to do. Try it, it is not difficult and it won't blow out your arm any more than punching practice in class would do.

BTW, there's a fairly famous picture of GM Mas Oyama punching out a candle-what is really impressive is the intensity on his face.

Miles

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
my judo/jujutsu instructor has mentioned this is a good excersize, not just punches, but you could work knife hands, ridgehands, palm strikes. Can get quite a workout from it, actually, and it gives you something concrete to focus on instead of just the air.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
candle.jpg

I believe that was the photo you were talking about

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I used to practice that, but haven't in a few years. I was always told that it is to train the punch as a whipping action instead of a thrust. You are supposed to bring it back faster than it went out and the flame is "sucked out" rather than blown out so it would come back at you instead of away from you.

I think it is a useful tool to help students get some focus to what they are trying to accomplish but as with other things I think people attach to much significance to it (ie: testing internal power, etc.)

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Poggy said:
Hi all! :)

i just want to know... can you punch out a flame?

Well, once I had this old flame, Marva. I said something somewhat inappropriate, and she punched me out, chipping three of my front teeth. I suppose that doesn't count, though.

I knew a Kyokushinkai guy in Texas who said he could do that "punch out the flame" trick. Get a few beers in him, though, and he'd start claiming he could punch out an oil fire. This clearly demonstrates that the reason it doesn't snow in Texas is because God didn't want to paint B.S. white.

But, no. I myself never punched out a flame. I'm more of the "stop, drop and roll" type of guy.

Regards,

Steve

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The way i see it, punching out a flame is for the movies and showing off....nothing more.