Shepherdstown????

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have learned that my department is sending me to Shepherdstown the first week of June. Since a number of you reside in the area can you tell me what there is to do/see/enjoy (besides fascinating highway safety round table discussions....)?
Thanks;
Chad

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Anteitam Battlefield is only a stones throw away in Maryland (if your a military history buff like me :)). My in-laws live right by it and I jog thru it when I visit (going down there this weekend). Nice "small-town street" atmosphere in Shepherdstown.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tgace said:
Anteitam Battlefield is only a stones throw away in Maryland (if your a military history buff like me :)). My in-laws live right by it and I jog thru it when I visit (going down there this weekend). Nice "small-town street" atmosphere in Shepherdstown.

Along the road side which I did not stop for :( due to timing, there were plaques and markers describiing battles and lots of history. Maybe a local tour guide can help you out.

:asian:

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
Along the road side which I did not stop for :( due to timing, there were plaques and markers describiing battles and lots of history. Maybe a local tour guide can help you out.

Those large plaques, along with the "bloody lane" tower were placed by the the Military a long time ago. Cadets used to "walk the ground" to get a feel for the tactical situation. Antietam was the single bloodiest battle in American history (considering each side was American).

FUZZYJ692000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
let's see you'll be arriving just as summer session starts back up so let's see there will be major parties that weekend at the college to welcome everyone back, they've only been gone 2 weeks why they need a welcome is beyond me. um, there is the Canal on the MD side that is a nice walk in the morning and evening along the river...um Harpers Ferry is like not even 15 minutes and they have rafting and tubing. harpers ferry is also a nice little historic town, that's where a lot of the scenes for i believe the movie like Gods and Generals or something like that was filmed. hum, the race track and slot machines are in charles town about 20 minutes....our school is like 10 minutes in martinsburg notice how i got that in there. there are a lot of little shops if you like stuff like that in all the areas. hope that helps.

K

KenpoGirl

Rich Parsons said:

Is that what those where??? I was going to ask, but they flew by so fast, practically a blur, that I thought they were a figment of my imagination. ;)

Dot
:D

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
dearnis.com said:
I have learned that my department is sending me to Shepherdstown the first week of June. Since a number of you reside in the area can you tell me what there is to do/see/enjoy (besides fascinating highway safety round table discussions....)?
Thanks;
Chad
And don't forget to stop by to visit Seig and Tess and maybe even work out an hour with them at their dojo to get all the LEO training fatigue out of your brain.

- Ceicei

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There is nothing to see there!

Trust me!

(Well, Except Seig and Tess's Kempo school. :) )

I was disapointed with the battlefields. No battles going on at all.

LOL

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
There is nothing to see there!

Trust me!

(Well, Except Seig and Tess's Kempo school. :) )

LOL
You have to visit the battle fields at midnight under a full moon with all kinds of paranormal recording devices if you want to see the battles. :uhyeah:

T

TheRustyOne

From a fellow out of towner, there's what's been said before and not much else.

...umm...think of it like going to Odessa or Smyrna...sure, they're pretty and historic, but that's about it :p

...you can always tease the college students and slackers....*shrugs* just a suggestion.

OP
D

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions.
And Rusty.....I live just outside Odessa!

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TheRustyOne said:
From a fellow out of towner, there's what's been said before and not much else.

...umm...think of it like going to Odessa or Smyrna...sure, they're pretty and historic, but that's about it :p

...you can always tease the college students and slackers....*shrugs* just a suggestion.

Oh wait... You can hang out at McDonalds and marvel when the Drunk Cops come in too, right???

:)

E

edhead2000

Technopunk said:

LOL
Hmm.......no battles? That's strange, there are battles down here all the time! In fact, just the other day I saw Robert E. Lee! :)

T

TheRustyOne

dearnis.com said:
Thanks for the suggestions.
And Rusty.....I live just outside Odessa!

Whoops. Just was teasin a little bit! Hope no offense was taken!

OP
D

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Nah. I moved to Delaware in 1997. I have been plotting my escape ever since.

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey what happened to you Chad? Thought you were going to grace us with your presence tonight~! We had a great sparring session out in the back 40~! Even had a rainbow after the rainstorm :)
If you're still going to be around Friday give us a call and come meet the gang and toss some sticks at Stickdummy~!

~Tess

OP
D

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
:boing2:
I'm one of those uptight people who plans things well in advance...I will be there this time next week (and it looks like Wednesday night is open...Thursday the fine folks from Anheuser-Bush are hosting a banquet for the top DUI cops in the region...go figure).
And place an order for good weather now, would you??

OP
D

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Very worthwhile trip....though I ended up with no free time (but the area looked pretty; I intend to make a return trip to relax and to actually get to visit the mountaineer martial arts crew.
Of course my cell phone self-destructed, the conference center had no hot water, and so on. But aside from all that.

Latest Discussions